Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2014, 13:02   #1

Boat: Endeavour 37
Adding a swim platform - How To?

Has anyone added a swim platform to a sailboat that has a stern that angles forward slightly (I know there's a proper name for that type of stern, but I don't know what it is)? I'd like to find out what would be involved to add a swim platform to my 1981 Endeavour 37, and I'd like to do the work myself, if possible? Also, any ideas on where to purchase one and approximate cost would be appreciated. If I were in the market to trade-in my boat, I'd get one of those newer walk-on sterns like the newer Beneteau models, but I'm very happy with our Endeavour and just want to make it more convenient for my wife and me to board our dinghy (we're both 69 and need whatever assistance we can get).
BozSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 15:14   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Adding a swim platform - How To?

Bozsail,

We see a number of retrofit swim platforms added to boats here, simple affairs, with s/s chain to pad eyes on the stern, that support the timber portion when down, and some way to lash it up underway. Quite simple.

However, I actually think you guys will be safer if you use a side mount boarding ladder. Place fenders fore and aft of it to keep the dinghy off, and then one goes up and takes from the one in the dinghy whatever it is that needs to be brought aboard. It is a good deal if there is either a handle as part of the ladder or some sort of grab rail or a man-rope to pull up on. The good news is that if you do the operation frequently, you'll retain the skills and muscle strength to be able to do it. Keep on using your stairs in winter, keep those thigh muscles in good nick!

Ann
Old 10-11-2014, 15:35   #3

Boat: Endeavour 37

Thanks for the reply Ann. We already have a separate ladder that attaches to the side of our boat, and that works "okay" but not great when there is a bit of wave action. I guess we're looking for a sort of idiot-proof solution. My wife has a bad knee and I have a troublesome back, hence the swim platform idea.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
BozSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 15:52   #4

Boat: O'Day 302

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ign-47128.html

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 16:10   #5

I've seen boats with a walk thru cut and glassed in the stern with a swim step added. When done well. looked great and plenty feasible.

Good link above...

OP: if you want a teak one similar to the one shown in the above link I may have one....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:46   #6

Boat: Brewer ketch 44'

I built one for our Brewer 44,which has a modified sugar scoop, so not your precise situation. You can read the "how to" at the Whitby-Brewer Website. I could not post pictures of it in process or in place, but may have some someplace. If so, email and let me know if you want other shots than just the platform. The photo attached is of the "outside" of the platform when it is in the up position. The surface, when "down" is Kiwi Grip and very skid resistant.
elschwieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:52   #7

swim platform added

Reply #3 has more links
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:55   #8

Boat: sabre 28

There was an article in a fairly recent GOB magazine that might be worth checking out.

Bob
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:07   #9

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozSail View Post
I'd like to find out what would be involved to add a swim platform to my 1981 Endeavour 37
Saving a kiloword, here is an image of a 1981 Endeavour 37 showing the stern.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 16:37   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Being an "wrinkly" with two artificial knees, I pay a lot of attention to boarding issues. If the OP puts a swim platform on the stern, he and his good lady are going to have to climb over the pushpit. When a boat is pitching, the ends are where the most motion is, and the least, about at the shrouds. Therefore, I think relocating the ladder to amidships, where there are shrouds to grab onto to help you up would serve them better.

Ann
Old 11-11-2014, 17:01   #11

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american

On my Tosca 36' there's also a nearly vertical stern area. The boat came with a swim ladder attached on the stern (starboard side). Sounds like a similar setup to OPs; and we also struggled getting aboard when there was any sort of wave action. We added a SS brackets and teak "steps" to create a series of platforms for boarding up the center of the stern...

Works great when there are no waves, but I second Ann T's comment about this not solving the issue when there's wave action. Ladder amidships is the way to go if you want to solve that problem. We've ordered a rope ladder for this purpose and will be testing it on our next outing.
american is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 17:15   #12

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I "third" Ann's advice. I wanted a platform too but soon found that with our 1.4 meter (4'7") freeboard at the stern that any kind of wave action at all made boarding that way impossible. It's midships for us now and we try to approach from the downwind side such as it exists at anchor.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-11-2014, 06:27   #13

May I suggest that a SWIM ladder is not the thing. I too have hoist issues and need the stability and width of a BOARDING type ladder. Very deep steps held very securely when in position.

I'm lucky that we do have a scoop big enough to stand on while I hope for a moment between waves. We do tie down bow and stern of the dinghy when loading and unloading. Finally, we added a regular plastic step. Lucky me.
BeaMewesed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:38   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

as swells create a lot more activity in extreme ends of boat, i board and disembark at the waist of mine, where the least action is obvious.
doesnt matter the marque of boat, they are similar in this activity.
i use a deep boarding ladder with wide wood steps and good traction.
yes i have bad knees, one busted 2008 hip and back..lol i have no problem with this boarding location or system.
i was taught to board and disembark a boat at the point of least motion.
that ALWAYS works.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:09   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Still a swim platform is usable for just their namesake, but I would use a good T style dive ladder, like the Dive N Dog ladders, if you dive from your boat a good ladder and swim platform is gold. My plan is to just get a better ladder, one that extends pretty deep in the water and use the outboard hoist for the tanks and BC etc.
We learned the hard way that getting in and out of the dinghy was easier on the side of the boat as opposed to the stern where the ladder is
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote