Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-11-2014, 08:25   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Adding a swim platform - How To?

American, you will find that a rope ladder is very difficult yo use unless it has massive standoffs and even then if you aren't a gymnast or a circus aerialist it takes too much upper body strengthen. Get a good solid boarding ladder, one that extends at least two rungs underwater. It's a real safety issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 17:50   #17

Boat: solaris 42 1978

i added a 20 inch swim platform all the way across my boat 42 foot cat ,, cost me about 25 hundred ,, level with the deck ,, i wanted it lower but had to agree in really big swells i would probably loose it ,, if you have a cat and want pictures i will send them to you anf the contact here in panama that built it

svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 18:46   #18
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I "third" Ann's advice. I wanted a platform too but soon found that with our 1.4 meter (4'7") freeboard at the stern that any kind of wave action at all made boarding that way impossible. It's midships for us now and we try to approach from the downwind side such as it exists at anchor.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hi, Matt,

I just went out and measured; we're 1.4 m at the shrouds to the water. I haven't tried it recently (we normally board at the sugar scoop). We have a single boarding step that hangs down the side about 34 cm, adjacent to the shrouds, and that allows one to step from the dinghy side (22 inch tubes) to the step, to the deck, and you sure can't hurt the shrouds by pulling on them!
The step is a piece of plywood from the boatyard tip, with stringers [same source] on the periphery for strength, two rubber feet hold it about 1-1/2 inches off the hull, and one could add non-skid. On our boat, the step is held in place by two s/s reefing hooks that go through our perf toe rail and light line, about 6 mm, iirc. Anyhow, inexpensive, and has worked well over a decade.
Ann & Jim, U.S. s/v Insatiable II, SE Qld, for a while
Ann T. Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 19:12   #19
Bailing as fast as I can.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Swanson 42

Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I just went out and measured; we're 1.4 m at the shrouds to the water.
Hi Ann, that's a lot of freeboard at midships. I figured I. II to be a slinkier ship than that. I think we are only 1.2 m at midships.

Anyhow, once you add wave action at the stern, the 1.4 becomes a whole lot more, intermittently. We've got a manky old SS ladder that I am keen to replace, something with steps like you suggest would be a whole lot kinder on the feet. I have a number of lengths of SS RHS and tube waiting for my attention in the shed, for a permanent ladder at the stern, and a nicer ladder for midships. Could not find anything commercially available that exactly suited our needs, hence back to the welder for me.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 19:30   #20

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Originally Posted by wingless View Post
Saving a kiloword, here is an image of a 1981 Endeavour 37 showing the stern.

There isn't room on that transom to permanently mount a usable swim step at a usable height.
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 19:57   #21

Boat: Crewing on a maxi cat

A big part of the "trick" to designing a swim step at the stern, is designing both the hull shape, & the stern steps such that there's enough buoyancy "kicking in" at the right time, in order to counter hobby horsing enough so that the step doesn't move much. It's a lot easier to do with a vessel which has a beamy stern, & without a lot of rocker in the hull.
In addition to designing the vessel so that as she sits deeper in the water due to added cargo, the height of the step doesn't change overly much. Plus a number of other engineering factors which would take an hour to type.

As with most things, the bottom line's $. And if you're willing to spend enough of it, there's a way to make such mod's work on a lot of boats. Although with some designs, there will obviously be more compromises than with others.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: