Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2014, 13:33   #1

Boat: Krogen 42
Add Powered Copper to Bottom Paint

Since bottom paint continues to have less and less copper, has anyone just added powered copper to a gallon on bottom paint?
meridian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 14:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Add Powered Copper to Bottom Paint

I believe cupric oxide ( CuO ) is the black powder that is typically the paint additive and cuprous oxide ( Cu2O ) is the red powder. You may be considering just the ground metallic copper, but I don't believe this to be the best choice. I am just making a guess here, I have no background in bottom paint chemistry.
Old 23-08-2014, 14:23   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

If it worked I think everyone would be doing it and chandlers the world over would be selling it in little bags.

That said I did try VC Offshore once and only once. The tin comes with a lid containing a little bag of very fine copper which you add to the paint. For me it didn't make any difference and the performance was rubbish. Even worse was nothing else would stick to it the following year so it all had to come off.

If it does work please let us know because a tin of emulsion paint and a bag of copper will cost a lot less than a tin antifoul paint.
Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 15:50   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I believe cupric oxide ( CuO ) is the black powder that is typically the paint additive and cuprous oxide ( Cu2O ) is the red powder. You may be considering just the ground metallic copper, but I don't believe this to be the best choice. I am just making a guess here, I have no background in bottom paint chemistry.
All the paints have an easily Googled MSDS. You can see the % of cuprous oxide listed.
Old 23-08-2014, 16:30   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
Since bottom paint continues to have less and less copper, has anyone just added powered copper to a gallon on bottom paint?
No doubt someone, somewhere has done this just as some people have added cayenne pepper to bottom paint. I think the paint companies have done the testing to produce the best formulation for each price point. You would do better to just buy a higher grade of paint.
Old 23-08-2014, 16:44   #6

Copper does kill eventually.... but I don't think it retards growth. You'll just have a bunch of dead attached critters instead of live ones... if you leave it uncleaned very long.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 17:27   #7

Boat: Krogen 42

Unfortunately, paint companies put in what the government allows them to.
meridian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 06:26   #8

Boat: Cornado 25

Look up coppercoat epoxy for a commercial system as you described... Not sure of the efficacy of adding powdered metallic copper to std bottom paint.

Not cheap, but Sea Hawk TropiKote is still 75.8% copper content in all colors. Had to choke on the price, but what I am using for the bottom job next month. Always had luck with Trinidad Red when it was still 60% copper (in the olden days) so figure it will do me for two seasons till I can get back to St Maarten for several gallons of (Slips Into Asbestos Flame Suit) .... Islands 44
capt-couillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 06:43   #9
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i remember my grandfather using the red lead paint on his boat. nothing grew on that stuff but yeh i know it's poison.
Old 24-08-2014, 07:53   #10

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
Unfortunately, paint companies put in what the government allows them to.

Would you cite the specific regulation(s) which do so?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 09:00   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
If it worked I think everyone would be doing it and chandlers the world over would be selling it in little bags.
This.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 09:05   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Anti fouling paint is considered a pesticide and is regulated at both the federal and state level. Each product has to undergo review before it is allowed to go to market, but to my knowledge, there is no comprehensive list of what is, or is not allowed in anti fouling paint.
Old 24-08-2014, 09:51   #13

Boat: Cornado 25

Quote:
International or by Country?
U.S. or Other?
If U.S.
Federal or State or County?
metallic biocides (eg copper, tbt) or metal augmented biocides (eg Omadine, Econea)

Regs are all over the place depending on what place you might be... Opinions are at even wider variance, depending on location, degree of political correctness required, and economic impact of hull fouling vs species impact. (Insert additional jargon and buzz words here)

{rant} As an un-reformed, semi-ludite, politically incorrect, eco-unfriendly, self centered goon I will stick with my metallic biocides until they pry them from my cold dead hands. With full automatic, 50cal TBT being at the top of my list... As long as they make it, I will use it, just like Panama still uses DDT {/rant}

Besides as a former chemical engineer (MS UC Berkeley 1972) words like chlorophenyl, cyano, bromo, trifluoro scare me... Oh wait, thats our new saviour biocide Econea (2-(p-chlorophenyl)-3-cyano-4-bromo-5-trifluoromethyl pyrrole)
Old 24-08-2014, 11:24   #14

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Just like house paint. The government has a maximum on mildewcide for a gallon of paint. But, almost any paint store will have the little packets of mildewcide that you can add to your paint. They can't tell you to do that though. Nothing stops the customer from walking out with 10x the limit, but he/she would be doing something illegal.

Since they aren't doing this (providing "packets" for anti-fouling), maybe the regs are tighter (not allowing the equivalent of the little mildewcide packets in paint stores) - or it requires a process beyond just dumping it into the paint vehicle (maybe a catalyst, or higher temperatures, dangerous, etc)
Old 24-08-2014, 11:30   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
Just like house paint. The government has a maximum on mildewcide for a gallon of paint.
There are no government-imposed limitations for copper or zinc content in anti fouling paint. Not in this country anyway.

Tags
bottom paint, paint