Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-10-2012, 10:25   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again
Re: Ablative Or Hard Bottom Paint?

Go to the local hardware store and look at the ingredients for the stuff they sell you to mix into bathroom paint to avoid mold--chances are its TBT.

FWIW, I tried TBT paint and was not impressed.

Considering that the 'natural' environment on your boat bottom is growth of all kinds, I'd think that paints which are 'better for the environment' are not what you want.

Old 19-10-2012, 11:00   #32

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Here's a little light reading on this issue: Seas At Risk Issues The TBT ban . . . pretty much everything you need to know about TBT and the ban. TBT is/was a reasonably effective antifouling agent, but it's main problem that it also effects a lot of non-target species (including a lot of the fish we eat). Another tidbit that might affect the decision to use this stuff is that barnacles are one of the species that are least affected by TBT. That's right, barnacles will attach and grow on TBT paint - maybe not the first year, but by year 2 you'll likely be busy trying to keep them off your bottom.

FWIW, I'm a marine biologist and my personal preference for paint (until something better comes along) is Interlux Ultra - I get about 4 good years out of it in Florida with little or no cleaning for the first 2 years.

Old 19-10-2012, 11:05   #33

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Go to the local hardware store and look at the ingredients for the stuff they sell you to mix into bathroom paint to avoid mold--chances are its TBT.
Probably true, but your bathroom walls don't generally leach biocide into the water column or sediments. TBT does bad thing to critters in the water and those that eat those critters (us included).
Old 19-10-2012, 11:07   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you will be cruising and cleaning the bottom yourself, the ablative seems to disappear pretty fast from the cleaning...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 12:55   #35

Boat: Norsea 27

I haul out during the winter months so obviously I use a hard mono epoxy copper bearing paint. I pressure wash when I haul out and paint every two to three years. Sometimes I 'freshen up' the surface with a scotchbrite pad. I get some slime but not enough to effect performance and at the prices of bottom paint I'm willing to give a little. I've also gone from 70% copper down to about 45% and don't see a great difference in the Pacific Northwest. In Washington state it has become illegal to clean a hull in the water with an ablative paint and I imagine other states are leaning that direction. Some marinas have put up the state supplied sign thinking it applys to all bottom paint. It's my hope that some of the new biocide non copper paints in testing will work out and if justice prevails, cheaper because it was the price of copper that they used as an excuse to jack the prices up.

Barry
Old 26-10-2012, 00:14   #36

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Just pulled my sailboat for the winter. At the marina, I powerwashed the boat. From the waterline up to the waterline stripe 3 " or so, the Interlux micron extra holds up well to pressure washing. However, below the waterline, any aggressive movements of the pressure washer, and it is not only the lake slime that comes off, the paint comes off as well.

Figured it would clean easier while still wet. Should I have let the moss dry out first, so the paint could dry?

I was pretty careful and only washed off the paint in a couple spots. But still at the price of bottom paint. Hate to wash it off in only one season.
Old 26-10-2012, 09:55   #37

Boat: Norsea 27

When I haul out if I wait until the bottom dries out it takes a lot more pressure washing to clean the hull. If you are having trouble with the paint coming off, especially with the mono epoxy paint it's because of what's under it. I found that if I use the Interlux 2000 two part primer, a one time application, there's never a problem with adhesion. In those areas where I had some repair to do, if I didn't reapply the primer I had some spots that let go pressure washing. Scuffing the surface with 80 grit helped.
Old 26-10-2012, 10:11   #38
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Since I have to haul out every year I use the ablative paint to reduce the build up of the layers. It pretty much is all gone once the yard pressure washes the boat on haul out. Never have to clean the boat in water as I sail it instead.

The last owner of my boat used hard paint and now that is starting to lift due to the layers. Last spring I had to grind down a lot of areas back till it was tight.

But if I was going to cruise all year/multi years I would get the best hard paint I could find!
Old 26-10-2012, 11:48   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Environmentally friendly bottom paint = oxymoron

I haven't found that any of the USA domestic anti-fouling paint works any good. The bottom paint sold in Europe actually seems to do what it's supposed to do... we never need to scrub off the bottom.
Old 26-10-2012, 16:23   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Just pulled my sailboat for the winter. At the marina, I powerwashed the boat. From the waterline up to the waterline stripe 3 " or so, the Interlux micron extra holds up well to pressure washing. However, below the waterline, any aggressive movements of the pressure washer, and it is not only the lake slime that comes off, the paint comes off as well.

Figured it would clean easier while still wet. Should I have let the moss dry out first, so the paint could dry?

I was pretty careful and only washed off the paint in a couple spots. But still at the price of bottom paint. Hate to wash it off in only one season.
How long since washing?

We pressure wash ours but try not to be too aggressive. If it is "peeling" off clearly an application issue but I don't think you are saying that.

After initial application we probably go 4 months before first wash. Then another 4 then probably 2 months at a time until 18-20 months. If we don't wash then I dive on a similar interval.

This is on 2 coats of micron extra.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 17:54   #41

We followed manfu instructions about application and put on two coats. I somewhat wished I had put on four coats

I will call them next spring and go with their advice again. The hull cleaned off nicely, which is what I wanted it to do. Pretty slimely lake I sail in. My hull looks nice and clean.
Old 27-10-2012, 19:32   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Actually, my understanding and practice is that "slimy" bottom is OK and what you want.

You don't want actual grass or barnacle growth.

If all you have is slime on haul out maybe try cleaning with a hose and a car wash mitt and forego the pressure wash - Hard to tell what you are actually getting.

I clean with a cloth/mitt for the first 12 months or so. Then I need to start getting aggressive with a soft floor brush. Eventually at around 15-18 months I need to be fairly aggressive.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 21:06   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Practical Sailor had a huge write up about bottom paint in this months issue. The bottom line- 15 paints made it past 36 months. Two were rated good (florida waters) Blue Water's Copper Pro and Trinidad SR. Both were hard ....interesting. I still like Interlux Micron 66.
Old 28-10-2012, 00:16   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth
Practical Sailor had a huge write up about bottom paint in this months issue. The bottom line- 15 paints made it past 36 months. Two were rated good (florida waters) Blue Water's Copper Pro and Trinidad SR. Both were hard ....interesting. I still like Interlux Micron 66.
I bet the two top rated paints were advertisers over the past years. That is how magazines work.

Tags
bottom paint, paint

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: