Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 22:53   #1

A Little Help with How to Lift My Boat Up

Hey guys. So I just purchases a parker dawson 26, and I need a little help on how I'm going to go about getting it off of its trailer to work on the keel and such.

The ablative paint on there is about 11 years old I think, and needs taken off and repainted. There are also quite a few dings in the gel coat I want to fix. Its a swing keel so I need to extend the bottom in order to get to it, as well as get to the places the boat is resting on.

So I live in Missoula Montana. Every marine, or boat shop around barely even knows what a boat stand is it seems. The closest I might be able to drive to rent some from a marina is about 3-4 hours or more, and would like to avoid that since just the gas to go get them and then bring them back would probably end up being around 300. Also would like to avoid spending 600 bucks on buying my own boat stands.

I'll do what I need to, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or things that they have done.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the help.
stuborndancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 23:44   #2

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Little help with how to lift my boat up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuborndancer View Post
Hey guys. So I just purchases a parker dawson 26, and I need a little help on how I'm going to go about getting it off of its trailer to work on the keel and such.

The ablative paint on there is about 11 years old I think, and needs taken off and repainted. There are also quite a few dings in the gel coat I want to fix. Its a swing keel so I need to extend the bottom in order to get to it, as well as get to the places the boat is resting on.

So I live in Missoula Montana. Every marine, or boat shop around barely even knows what a boat stand is it seems. The closest I might be able to drive to rent some from a marina is about 3-4 hours or more, and would like to avoid that since just the gas to go get them and then bring them back would probably end up being around 300. Also would like to avoid spending 600 bucks on buying my own boat stands.

I'll do what I need to, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or things that they have done.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the help.
I used to simply drag my old TY off the back of the trailer onto soft grass. Then rig it and use the mast as a lever to heel it almost onto its gunwales so I could remove the keel. Reverse the process for installing the keel again.

Simply tie it (via sheet winches and other strong points) aft first to the base a large tree or strong point (no not the house-lol) . Then slowly drive the trailer out from under it. Just remember to make sure the keel is fixed in the up position for both on and off jobs and if you have it, release the tilt arm on the trailer. If your worried about your topsides, a few old mattresses will be a blessing.

I never used cradles or stands at any time. Thats one advantage of trailerables- they can sit on soft grass and not fall over.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 00:08   #3

How do I get it back up on the trailer after that?
Old 08-05-2011, 00:32   #4

Method Number 1 . Simply line the trailer back up to the bow, attach the winch cable and start winching. Dont have the trailer conneced to the car though- the trailer will move under the boat and lift the bow at first. Once the boat is most of the way on, the boat will move not the trailer and you will need to chock the wheels accordingly.

Depending on the trailer design, you may need a dolly wheel or stong flatbed trolley under the rear crossbar of the trailer to prevent it digging into the ground ( the trailer will get tilted upward at the front and down at the back) . Put some heavy ply or timber down for the trolley to roll on. But remember the first step is all about letting the trailer move not the boat.

Just make sure you have chocks ready before you start and that you have someone there ready to put them under the wheels.

Method Number 2. Reverse the trailer (using the car this time) to the bow and connect the winch. Gently- ever so gentely, keep reversing backward. This will start to push the trailer under the boat and lift the bow. Someone starts winching. Keep gently reversing untill the boat lifts off the ground. Then continue to winch as usual.

I just found these for you..
Method1

Method 2
Old 08-05-2011, 00:41   #5

Re: A Little Help with How to Lift My Boat Up

Thanks, that makes sense. I worry a bit about the trailer this boat came on, since the wood that supports the stern is pretty upturned and seems like it would just gouge into the fiberglass. But maybe I'm wrong. Your way seems by far the most realistic of anything I have come up with, so thank you, really appreciate it.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:12   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Great advice from Ozskipper and whilst scary the first time all very do able with a lift keel yacht. Obviously empty out as much as possible before hand including fuel, water and batteries.

Old carpet, flattened cardboard boxes and tyres make good surfaces to lay her down on to one side, but the most expensive bit will be a crate of beers for friends to give you a hand the first time.

Don't forget the camera

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuborndancer View Post
Thanks, that makes sense. I worry a bit about the trailer this boat came on, since the wood that supports the stern is pretty upturned and seems like it would just gouge into the fiberglass. But maybe I'm wrong. Your way seems by far the most realistic of anything I have come up with, so thank you, really appreciate it.
I am not sure what you mean about the "wood". Are you talking about Skids that are outward, running fore and aft, on the trailer? If you are, just undo the bolts at the bottom of thier supports and lower them if needed.

Once the boat is back on its centre line on the trailer, you can just raise those back up again. 2 mins work
Old 08-05-2011, 03:29   #8
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I had a twenty three sloop with a centerboard and put her on blocks a couple of times. The way I did it was to lower the tounge to the ground then sturdily block the back up just behind the last crossbar. Id then use a floorjack to lift the tounge up Then block the front of the boat just behind a crossbar and lower the jack. I was then able to roll the trailer forward until the next crossbar stopped it then repeat the process using the trailer and floorjack(or cherry picker ) as a lever to lift the bow and hop the next crossbar. this boat had a full length lead filled skiff keel and was pretty heavy. at the last crossbar Id build a cradle out of 4x4s sturdy enough to get under safely.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:00   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh, if you don't have a suitable tree you can use the trailer winch to get the boat off. You need a large pulley secured to the back of the trailer and a rope going from the bow to the pulley and back to the trailer winch.

Pete
Old 08-05-2011, 05:30   #10

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

The advice you're getting at this point may be possible for small power boats but probably won't work out as well for a sailboat. You should ask this question at Parkerdawson.com - Index
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:40   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
The advice you're getting at this point may be possible for small power boats but probably won't work out as well for a sailboat. You should ask this question at Parkerdawson.com - Index
No he will be fine. His yacht is actually lighter than my inboard diesel rib which we regularly moved on and off the trailer.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacific_22_Belle_Isle YBW.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	27098  
Old 08-05-2011, 06:44   #12

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig

My dad did that with his South Coast 22 back in 1980 or so. Onto the ground and heeled it over to fix the keel cable. After cleaning the bottom really good on both sides, just winched it back up onto the trailer.
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 14:39   #13

Here are a couple pictures. Wouldn't the prop get broken off in the process? It does have a inboard. I can always take the prop off, but the mount is still sticking out down there, and its pure fiberglass build into the hull. Really its lighter than that? It has a 4000lb displacement.
Old 08-05-2011, 14:40   #14

actually not sure how to post a picture on here, and dont have time atm to look. so here is a link to a photostream of the boat on its trailer. Its a fixer upper atm haha.

DSC02136 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 08-05-2011, 15:04   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Two questions.

1. With the keel up and the rudder off, is the P bracket that supports the propshaft the lowest point?

2. Does the trailer have a central runner that the yacht sits on or is the hull just supported by those angled wooden planks each side? presumably 4 but can't see the bow.

I see what you meant earlier about the wooden boards now.

Pete

Tags
lift