Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 14:32   #1

A Little Help, Please, with Dry Wooden Hull

Hello

I have recently inherited a 40 foot wooden hull sloop. it has been sitting on the hard for 2 years. It is mahogany plank construction and is in need of paint but has started to seperate at the seams it is hard splined and i am unsure what steps to take next any suggestions?
poacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 15:16   #2

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Re: a little help with dry wood hull

WELL, THERE ARE EXPERIENCED FOLK AT THIS SORT OF HULL, but I'm not one of them.
My understanding is that the planks are the least of your problems.
1. If the frames and cross beams aren't sound then you're in trouble
2. If the decking is leaking rain water then the cross beams and frames will suffer
3. Any IRON (nails screws bolts) will have to be replaced with carefully chosen compatible ones.
4. You'll need to shift any ballast to make a full and detailed inspection of the bottom from inside.
If that all seems reasonable then get it wet from the inside and keep it wet (check if salt or tap/rain water is right). Apparently this will stop it sinking quickly when it goes in the water, it will only sink slowly which isn't so bad!

Honestly:- ask GordMay for the right book on the subject. You will need to know what timber was used for all the different parts to get the right treatment for each type of timber in each location and how, and with what, they were joined together.
My neighbour has been rebuilding a '30's lifeboat, now a houseboat, for three years. The amount of work he has had to put in is incredible. He has all the skills too but still has to redo things because they didn't work out right.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:00   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: a little help with dry wood hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by poacher View Post
Hello

I have recently inherited a 40 foot wooden hull sloop. it has been sitting on the hard for 2 years. It is mahogany plank construction and is in need of paint but has started to seperate at the seams it is hard splined and i am unsure what steps to take next any suggestions?
Need to know more information before offering much more than very general advice.

For instance:
What condition was it in when hauled out 2 years ago and why was it hauled and then left - there are many reasons for this, some are OK and some are red lights.
What location are you in, ie what is the weather like in your area, cold damp, wet, dry, hot, very hot etc as this impacts on the hull.
Was it splined recently (say last 5 years) and why?
It is well painted inside?
Inside ballast or external keel? If external are the keel bolts tight?
What are the fastenings like, can some be removed and inspected or do they break.
How much antifoul is built up on the hull?
As noted above, is the deck / cabin water tight?

You could just get the hull wet with a sprinker hose on the OUTSIDE (for a few days) and see what happens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
3. Any IRON (nails screws bolts) will have to be replaced with carefully chosen compatible ones............... .
Actually IRON fastenings although fairly rare aren't so bad; not the best but if they are still in fair condition, I would be inclined to leave them unless going for a complete refit. STEEL (even stainless) must be avoided at all costs.

Disclaimer: I am not a wooden boat expert by any means but I have owned and refitted a 28' carvel boat that was 30+ years old and it is still going strong (I believe) and she must be 45+ by now.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:54   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: A Little Help, Please, with Dry Wooden Hull

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, poacher.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:14   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: A Little Help, Please, with Dry Wooden Hull

photos and better description would help a lot,seams opening up is normal and will generally take up once the boat is back in the water,but this depends on the overall condition of the hull.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull