Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2007, 12:57   #1
GreatKetch

Angry A license should be required...

Pardon me while I let loose a rant, but as part of an interior renovation project I have just taken a break from removing a portlight installed by the Previous Owner.

It caulked with 5200!! The mark of a truely ignorant boatbulider, use 5200 EVERYWHERE.

Maybe I am unusual amoung boat owners having owned the same boat for ten years, and doing all my own work, but I never expect an installation of anything to be permenant. Stuff wears out, I change my mind, decks need to be painted, all good reasons that "stuff" has to be removed. None of this stuff should be glued down and 5200 is GLUE!

This stuff is fantastic material, but there are no more than a handfull of places it SHOULD be used on a boat. In those places it is absolutely the best stuff around. Places like hull to deck joints, keel to hull joints. Structural joints.

Everybody, repeat after me: 5200 is NOT caulking compound!!!!

Back to work at what should have been a 15 minute job and is going to take literally hours.
Old 21-11-2007, 13:23   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKetch View Post
Pardon me while I let loose a rant, but as part of an interior renovation project I have just taken a break from removing a portlight installed by the Previous Owner.

It caulked with 5200!! The mark of a truely ignorant boatbulider, use 5200 EVERYWHERE.

Maybe I am unusual amoung boat owners having owned the same boat for ten years, and doing all my own work, but I never expect an installation of anything to be permenant. Stuff wears out, I change my mind, decks need to be painted, all good reasons that "stuff" has to be removed. None of this stuff should be glued down and 5200 is GLUE!

This stuff is fantastic material, but there are no more than a handfull of places it SHOULD be used on a boat. In those places it is absolutely the best stuff around. Places like hull to deck joints, keel to hull joints. Structural joints.

Back to work at what should have been a 15 minute job and is going to take literally hours.
There's a product called Marine Formula or DeBond 2000 from Debond corporation that will loosen 5200. I used it to get my chainplates and stanchions out and while it takes time, it works and eliminates destroying gelcoat if you give it time to work. You have to put some on, let it sit, pry a bit, wiggle a bit, put some more on, repeat often.

Good luck!
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 13:23   #3

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
GreatKetch,

Yell at me. I replaced a port and used 5200. I thought I was doing the right thing. I am sure other owners have done the same thing. Is there not a remover for 5200?

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 13:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I might use 5200 in more applications than GreatKetch, but I certainly agree that a decent tradesman does things to make it easier for “the next guy”.
If a professional, you HOPE to be the next guy, and if a DIYer, you EXPECT & FEAR you’ll be the next guy.

Either way, you are he.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 14:00   #5

Here's where I got it

Marine Formula is available here:

http://www.noahsboatbuilding.com

Do a search on that site for "marine formula" using the quotes or you'll a zillion hits. I got 2 X 12 oz cans and still have about 1 and a half left. You don't use much.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 14:02   #6
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Sooooooooooo I should use silicone only?
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 14:14   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Rick knows that, if polyurethane has few uses on a boat; silicone has even fewer.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 14:22   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:

Did it leak before you removed it?
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 14:31   #9
cruiser

Oddly (and I've talked about this before), my ports were void from warranty unless pure silicone was used to install them. I used pure silicone and didn't have a leak in 2 years, with the boat uncovered and in freezing temps with us living aboard in the winter.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 15:01   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Rick knows that, if polyurethane has few uses on a boat; silicone has even fewer.
Silicone eats varnish too. Silkaflex and Boatlife both work well and clean up easy. They seal exceptionally well but they are not glue. Sometimes you nee glue but if the glue isn't required for attachment then don't add glue to the fix.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 15:05   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
GreatKetch,

Yell at me. I replaced a port and used 5200. I thought I was doing the right thing. I am sure other owners have done the same thing. Is there not a remover for 5200?

John
Yes, it's called plastic explosive.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 17:25   #12
GreatKetch

Looks like I have started a "discussion".

I know all about "Anti-Bond" and while it makes the job slightly easier, anyone who has really used it know that it is not exactly a cure all (or shoud I say a de-cure all?)

I was lucky, this port was cast bronze, and the mechanical work needed to remove it did not twist it into a pretzle, like any aluminum framed port would have been.

There are many ways to install things on boat, a few ways to do it right and an infinite number of ways to do it wrong.

The port that I removed did not leak, but that had nothing to do with the 5200 that was used. In fact, the 5200 was only used to bed the INSIDE flange!?!?!? The outside flange and bolts (the actual leak stopping part) were bedded with silicone. Go figure.

The simple matter is that if you need to use 5200 to bed deck hardware, you are not doing it right. Lots of other products that do the job without the hassle at removal time.

And Pblais, what kind of varnish does silicone "eat"? Of course you can't varnish over it, but I have used silicone to bed parts that were pre-varnished on all four sides and never had a problem. and then revarnished the exposed areas later again without a problem.

And Knottybouz, it sounds like you might be surprised to learn there are lots of alternatives other than silicone and 5200. In this case, the portlight was re-bedded with windshield sealing tape, a permenently sticky butyl rubber product that should be used more on boats--but, like every product, not everywhere.
Old 21-11-2007, 18:08   #13
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
And Knottybouz, it sounds like you might be surprised to learn there are lots of alternatives other than silicone and 5200. In this case, the portlight was re-bedded with windshield sealing tape, a permenently sticky butyl rubber product that should be used more on boats--but, like every product, not everywhere.
I was being facetious!

I think we've had more than a few discussions on here about the merits (or lack thereof) of using silicone on boats. I know I've had my run-ins with PO's overuse of it on our boat. I'm a great fan of butyl tape, got about 10 rolls of it in the basement and use it for everything and plan to bed our windows and portlights with it. If it lasts 75 yrs on a Ford Model T it'll work on our boat.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 18:41   #14

A license to install portlights? Please don't let it ever come to that.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 18:51   #15

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
GreatKetch,

John
hehehehe........errrrr..............sorry

30+ years ago I redid a mast (wood) and thought I was doing the right thing too!

Yep.

5200 all the way...........oops...............sorry............ .......I listened to someone else say it was the best and strongest and I thought I wanted the best and strongest.....................sorry.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license