Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2008, 01:08   #1

A few questions about materials. . . Pressure, tension and torque.

Ok. So, I have some pretty bizarre ideas for a catamaran after watching this forum for a few weeks. I have an idea for a set of four wingmasts(two on each hull) that fold down and to the sides, and can pivot to aft, that will act as wings so the vessel can fly. I also want it to dive to 100 ft or more. Or at least be able to sink one hull at a time, for self-righting purposes.

What should I know, and what are your recommendations, regarding materials for construction? What kind of calculations do I need to know to make the design feasible? Where can I find out the properties of possible materials - stress limits, shear strength, flexibility, memory, etc; etc? How do I figure out how much, and what kind, of stresses are being placed on a given part - so I can address these with the proper materials? What are the calculations for these stresses? Where can I get this info without having to sift through a thousand or so pages of Google? A single source, like a textbook or a website would be preferable.

I know the project is ambitious in the extreme, but don't try to convince me it's impossible. I just want to know how to make it possible.
Italian Taitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 03:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Taitano View Post
Ok. So, I have some pretty bizarre ideas ...
... What should I know ...
... Where can I get this info ...
MIT, The Massachusetts Institute of Technology, has highly regarded undergraduate Ocean Engineering and Graduate Ocean Engineering/Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering courses.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 12:03   #3

Unhappy *sigh* Yes... there are even a couple good schools round here that teach that stuff.

Or something like it. Sadly, though, I lack the time to attend... and will be in that position for a while. . . Unless, they have online courses. . . I'll go check.
Old 30-04-2008, 12:16   #4

*shudder* Wheeeel shivver me timbers!!! Holy carp! Not only do they have the course

online, but the course materials are free for download for those who are into the self study thing! YAAAAY! Okay, nevumine my thread. . . Unless you want to post advice or helpful knowledge, or something.

I just never thought to look before. . . Cause I don't have time to attend classes right now. This way, I can study if I can afford it - the preferred method - or just download the material and study it myself. Thanks man. I appreciate the nudge.
Old 30-04-2008, 13:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Taitano View Post
Not only do they have the course online, but the course materials are free for download for those who are into the self study thing! ...
Care to share a link to the on-line materials?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 14:40   #6

Sure thing!

Perhaps the course isn't online after all, I'm still trying to find out for sure. . . but the material is.
Old 30-04-2008, 17:59   #7

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
If birds can do it and fish can do it, and squid can do it, I reckon it is possible. The difficulty is going light enough with a folding set up. Possibly bat wing geometry and skin on frame for the wings. I don't reckon you'll get it to dive bomb like a gannet. At least not repeatedly.
I would also be interested.
RObert
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 18:55   #8

Talking HAHAHAHA!!! No, I don't think dive bombing is going to be a part of it.

I don't think I would want to even if I could. . . Talk about a rough landing.

It'll definitely be an interesting project... I should start a website about it. I think I'll be building my first small-scale model this fall or something. To make it fly or dive is not so bad. . . The hard part would be getting it to both dive and fly. I expect the whole project to take about five years - ten on the high end. If it looks like it'll take longer than ten, I'll just go with a regular design - perhaps a proa.