Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 13:23   #46

Re: A Few Boat Building Questions

The valuations were done by a surveyor and a broker. You can question whatever you like.

Australian buyers are far better educated about catamarans than US ones.

And they are all used boats - mine was brand new. I never dispute you can buy a used boat cheaper. In fact you can find used boats for free.

Oh yeah, and the Schionning wouldn't be a production boat anyway.

But certainly I'd be looking at different buyers from those likely to buy ex-charter motorsailers. Luckily, as I said, there are people in Aus who want boats that sail.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 14:13   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
First I question your 400k valuation. For that money you can pay asking price for

-2007 Lagoon 440 and still have $120,000 left to refit
-2011 Lagoon 440
-2001 Leopard 50 and $100,000
-2001 Privilege 465 and $50,00
-2008 Schionning 48
-2011 Fountain Pajot Salina 48

And the list goes on. You may have a great boat, wonderfully built and outfitted. But if I was in the market for a $400k cruising cat I would be looking at one of these not a home build for the same money.

Even at $250k I would be much more likely to snag the professionally build Shuttleworth Advantage 44 for $250k. Or a FP 43 for $220k.

Once you hit around $200k boats start to get a little older so I might be willing to consider a newer homebuild. But it would take some convincing that it was well founded, and it would have to offer something that an older yard built boat didn't. My guess is that the actual high FMV of your boat is in the $200k range, but it would need to be located somewhere that gets a lot of foot traffic. Because I at least wouldn't be willing to travel to see it. But if it were in Ft. Lauderdale and i was there looking at other boats already I might be willing to stop by and see it.
BTW, how much did you pay for your boat? I wouldn't give you $10 for it.
Old 05-03-2015, 19:00   #48

For the OP, if he's still interested, there's a good forum here for people who are doing the impossible, and some even succeeding: DIY Yachts - Index page
Old 05-03-2015, 19:25   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondor View Post
I have a hard time with the whole argument about valuing one's labor at a 1-to-1 ratio when calculating the difference between what somebody earns and what they *could* earn if only they spent their hobby-time at the regular job.

Most people don't have the ability to fill every spare hour in the day with a paid hour.

Any job I've held in the last 15 years wouldn't pay me a dime more for anything over 40 hours a week. At best they would give me "comp-time".

Friends of mine who work in the trades would LOVE to be able to drum-up as much work as they wanted.

Not to mention the ability to schedule those jobs for odd hours outside of the normal work-day.

How many people want an electrician working at their house from 7-pm 'til midnight on a Tuesday?
+1

I find that reasoning nonsense as well unless a person were building the vessel for the sole purpose of selling it. For the people who use that logic, I wonder how much money are they losing by posting on this site instead of working..
TomM is offline   Reply With Quote