Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2012, 11:33   #1

A cheep way to build you own dream sailboat!

Dear friends,
I have a proposition for everyone that wants to build a sailboat and start living the dream:
My idea is to split the coast of the boatbuilding process with one or more of you passionate people. The hangar building cost, the tools and the project plan of the boat. Each of us will build each other’s boat one after the other or in parallel.
Ideally we should build the same boat for this to work properly, one project plan, one mold (plug) and the same material and tools.
The pros to this idea:
I live in Albania in a big beautiful house just outside the capital, in Tirana. I have a mini farm with vegetables and animals and most importantly a lot of land to build anything. To any of you joining this project will be given a private place to stay at my home (villa) for free for as long as it takes.
The labor in Albania is very cheep and will be a big help for the project. Average labor about 5$/day. They can do anything. Professional labor is also cheap.
Living in Albania is cheep and fun. And in spite of what you might have heard, VERY SAFE.
I am a very skilled and passionate person, and would consider myself lucky to find another one like me to start a project like this.

Sailboat interested is CT65 (Scorpio 72) or Formosa 51 or any other similar boat for liveabord and ocean sailing. Open to suggestion.
Building material cored fiberglass or solid laminate.

About me:
I have a Master degree in Software engineering and owner of an outdoor travel agency.
I have build a completely self sustainable house, build an light airplane for two, electric car conversion (Smart car), a camper trailer from scratch and much more.
I own 5000sqm of land 10km from Tirana center in Albania. The property has a two-story villa with a big lake (10m x 20m x 2m) and fruit trees and farm animals.
My only dream and goal is to build my sailboat and sail continuously around the world for as long as I can.

For any of you interested please contact me by PM.
jegenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 12:13   #2

Re: A cheep way to build you own dream sailboat!

If you're serious you should consider selling your "5000sqm of land 10km from Tirana center in Albania. The property has a two-story villa with a big lake (10m x 20m x 2m) and fruit trees and farm animals" and buy a boat instead of building one.

Start living the dream now. You can buy a good boat for less than the cost of materials these days.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 12:18   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I too would say that buying a boat ready to sail is a much cheaper option unless your economy is much better than ours here in the United States.

I would never suggest how to acquire the money to buy a boat but I do agree that it is much better to start sailing as soon as you can.

kind regards,
Old 25-10-2012, 14:01   #4

Well, building something like a boat or a dream is easy. Maintaining it is the hard part.
I have find out the perfect way to do that.
Working only in summer, i have to do something in winter. What better than building my boat. And why buy e old boat with all the wrong equipment's, shape and style when you can build you new dream boat for the same price. I have done the calculations.

Please friends, try not to make other suggestion about buying a boat as i have already a master plan which you don't know the factors and i have given it a long thought.

Instead you can help me find the best way to get my message to the new builders.

regards,

Armand
jegenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 14:38   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"i have already a master plan which you don't know the factors"
It's not nice to keep secrets, especially when you are asking people to help you.

"Instead you can help me find the best way to get my message to the new builders."
Unless you are making a rash unfounded assumption that there ARE new builders, if there really are new builders then you already have confirmed that and you know where and who they are.

If you don't know who the new builders are, or if they really exist, then it hardly seems rational to ask folks to help you contact them. Contact who? Folks who might not exist?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 16:07   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

No one is going to travel to Albania to build themselves (and you) a boat.

The numbers may work for you - but not for a foreigner who not only has access to cheap s/h boats but also to equipment (including a s/h market) that simply won't exist in Albania.....and that will add massively to the cost. However the main cost is the builder themselves, most people building (or simply refurbing) will be self-financing - not from saving up the cash in advance but by continuing to work. and for that Albania is simply not a viable option.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 16:13   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegenia View Post
The labor in Albania is very cheep and will be a big help for the project. Average labor about 5$/day. They can do anything. Professional labor is also cheap.
Living in Albania is cheep and fun. And in spite of what you might have heard, VERY SAFE.
I am a very skilled and passionate person, and would consider myself lucky to find another one like me to start a project like this.

Why do you need a building partner?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 16:37   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Built mine by myself in good ole New Hampshire...why are you looking for partners? Sounds fishy

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 16:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Sometimes buying materials is better at a larger amount. Sharing some materials that would otherwise go to waste is a small benefit too. The main one is that if one person has a problem, then you will have two people willing to figure it out. Having another person there will motivate you to work and not slack off. And passionate workers are usually better than people doing it just for some money. And once you figure out how to do it on one boat, the second time won't take as long. And you might be able to share in the cost of the hanger rental.

The only boat I would build would be a SWATH style multihull boat. And I want to get it done in less than 4 months. You could save some money if you knew what you were doing, and the boat you want isn't made by anyone.

But a regular sailboat monohull is easy to find on the used market.

(This guy sounds like me. I have a degree in software engineering, a self-sustainable house, and an electric car conversion (S-10) )

Instead of making a post like this, I would think there would be some demand for research into how to build a boat quickly. Look into the techniques for that. And then come up with a 'summer camp' or 'learn to build' type of trip. If you could build parts in one city, and then pack it into a shipping container to get the next part done in a new city, it might be an interesting approach.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 17:12   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Sometimes I have ADD...

Quote:
I have a proposition for everyone that wants to build a sailboat and start living the dream:
My idea is to split the coast of the boatbuilding process with one or more of you passionate people. The hangar building cost, the tools and the project plan of the boat. Each of us will build each other’s boat one after the other or in parallel.
Ideally we should build the same boat for this to work properly, one project plan, one mold (plug) and the same material and tools.
Having said that - finding 2 builders, that want the same boat, in the same building location, that are compatible as partners is a tough ask...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 17:21   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i found a formosa 41 that only needed most of the work redone, fixed a few things and left san diego --i repair as i go and enjoy life.
welcome to cf.

research all boats you are interested in buying, then sail as many as you can then decide what to buy and how much work you can find the time to put into it.
good luck and have fun with your project.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 17:59   #12

I have master plan too also. I am often busy in summer nothing to do in winter. We build my boat first, then yours. I am in no rush, we can agree on 10 year schedule. Ok. That is my master plan.

Much cheeper for everybody that way.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 22:31   #13

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I have seen people build boats for whole lifetimes, and they end up old and grey or worse and the kids are left cleaning up the mess.

The economy is in the tanks. Every major bank has a dozen sailboats they loaned on that went south, that you can buy from them for cents on the dollar.

This is not the time to build. It is the time to purchase a bargain.
Old 26-10-2012, 10:46   #14

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegenia View Post
Dear friends,
The pros to this idea:
I live in Albania in a big beautiful house just outside the capital, in Tirana. I have a mini farm with vegetables and animals and most importantly a lot of land to build anything. To any of you joining this project will be given a private place to stay at my home (villa) for free for as long as it takes.

Sailboat interested is CT65 (Scorpio 72) or Formosa 51 or any other similar boat for liveabord and ocean sailing. Open to suggestion.
Building material cored fiberglass or solid laminate.

About me:
I have a Master degree in Software engineering and owner of an outdoor travel agency.
I have build a completely self sustainable house, build an light airplane for two, electric car conversion (Smart car), a camper trailer from scratch and much more.
I own 5000sqm of land 10km from Tirana center in Albania. The property has a two-story villa with a big lake (10m x 20m x 2m) and fruit trees and farm animals.
My only dream and goal is to build my sailboat and sail continuously around the world for as long as I can.

For any of you interested please contact me by PM.
Geez, people- c'mon!
Not every builder withers on the vine! You can get bogged down in rebuilding some "bargain too.
I know lots of people have built beautiful boats and sailed em off...Nikos ,here, for instance, sailed home to Greece from B.C...but I know lots of others in wood, steel .

I think it's a wonderful offer and a great idea. Lots of boat-building would go easier with more than just one head and pair of hands...use the same molds and build two stripplanked boats...or FRP too. or steel a la Brent Swain's stitchnWeld. If I weren't a cranky owner of somebody elses soggy cast-off , I'd be all over it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ILIOPOTISSA 08070.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	48811

You sound like a finisher to me, Jegenia. Good luck!
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 02:09   #15

Boat: Under Construction

My shed was built on the contractor relocation practice left over sheets of tin and timber from job sites, on a nice 3 acre property with fruit trees in the Whitsundays with good friends to help build my dream ,Albania sounds like a Drama.
Zindab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat