Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2019, 11:16   #1

Boat: Endeavor 37B
A/C For 37' Endeavor

Looking for some tips on A/C units preferred, BTU Calcs, and portable genny hook up when not at dock----
Our Endeavor (modified plan b) is on the hard for a few more weeks, and we are currently bringing all the seacocks up to snuff.
The A/C install and dingy davits are all that is left, and we are not sure on AC unit sizing-
One technician said 16K, one says 10K....big difference it seems.
We have two 30Amp connections, one which will be dedicated to the A/C (maybe other future use as well, but nothing now).
No permanent Genny in our future, but a Honda 2 or 3K is planned for use when we aren't on shorepower.
So....
What size unit, and does it make sense to dedicate that second 30amp plug for power, and fit an identical shore power lead off the Honda when at sea?
West Marine has a 16K BTU Dometic on sale for 1,900...any experience out there with this? WM is not my go to, but the sale looked pretty good!
Thank you-
Adamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 17:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: A/C For 37' Endeavor

We have had a GREAT experience with our Aqua Air units. We have one 16K self contained, and one 16K split system. They will put the whole configuration together for you. If you are near Miami, you can probably pick it up. They use better components than the mass produced ones, and have great support. The self contained are not a difficult DIY process. Dwayne is the owner. Aqua-Air Marine Air Conditioning Systems for Yachts of all Sizes.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 18:37   #3

Boat: Carver 356

I had a 16k in my Catalina 34, which is a pretty roomy boat with aft cabin. Not sure your Endeavors has one or not. If it does, you need 16k. If not, you might be able to drop down to a 12k. Either one will struggle on a hot, sunny day, but will be more than enough when the sun goes down. We made a sun shade for the forward part of the boat and it really helped a lot.
My dock neighbor runs his 16k on his Honda 2000 and does fine. The new Honda 2200 should do even better.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 03:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

One “rule of thumb” recommendation for sizing marine air-conditioning is about ± 14 -to- 15 BTU/h per cubic foot of cabin volume.
More glazing, pilot house, etc = more heat gain; so perhaps up to 17 BTU/h per cu. ft.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 08:58   #5

Hello,

I am taking a break from installing my 3rd Oceanbreeze 16k AC in '72 a Pearson 33. I had installed same brand in. a DownEast 38 and also one in a Catalina 30. I believe you will be happy with 16k. I prepped by insulating hull and also running 4" duct fwd to vberth and 4" to main salon. I hope to have it up and running by tomorrow. Good luck! Call Joe at Oceanbreeze, Ft Lauderdale (772) 220-0038

Hope this helps!
GC
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 09:04   #6

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I have a 35 Cat. I figured the cubic volume and went with a 16000 but from Marine Aire.
https://www.marinaire.com/Marine-air...UaAq6eEALw_wcB

They drop ship them to you. So far I am happy with it and their customer service is good from my experience.

One thing I didn't look at was water temperature. I wanted mine to work during the winter here in Portland Maine but the Columbia River was running at 37 degrees which is 3 degrees too low. The water temp drops 5 degrees as it exits the system which when combined with a Venturi effect turned into ice pretty fast. Fortunately I was watching the unit and saw it happen and cut power immediately so no damage.

Will it be enough when I head into Mexico this year? Don't know. Primarily I bought it to use as a heater in the winter. The water is cold and mold is a huge problem. This unit is also a dehumidifier which was to be a plus.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 09:34   #7

Boat: Baba 40

Almost goes without saying, but consider your layout. We have two units on our 40’ Baba. The “big” one cools the v-berth and salon, the “small” one does the aft stateroom and galley. Remember you’ll be going in and out of the boat, the sun will be beating down on you, and there’s always some air mixing through vents. If you have the space and the dollars aren’t that much different, go up. You can always dial the temperature down when it’s running, which is more pleasant than wishing you’d gone bigger.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 12:10   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

Gordy has it right. By experience I would recommend the 16,000 BTU unit. Take a look at Flagship Marine at Flagshipmarine.com
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 15:41   #9

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

You will not be happy with any lees than 16k . We use a canvas flap hanging with snaps over the compaionway with a sand weighted bottom. The flap which has a window in it too helps keep the cold inside .
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 17:15   #10

Boat: O'Day 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw7 View Post
Gordy has it right. By experience I would recommend the 16,000 BTU unit. Take a look at Flagship Marine at Flagshipmarine.com
+1 for Flagship Marine. They’re a local company in Stuart, FL that supplies a lot of units to the US Coast Guard.
All of the units I’ve seen use SST condensers and evaporator. Great customer service also.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 13:15   #11

Boat: Endeavor 37B

As usual, Cruisers Forum to the rescue!
Thanks to all for the great leads and suggestions.
Adamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 14:17   #12

Boat: Beneteau 36cc - Pura Vida

When my current AC stops working I'm going to look into a variable speed compressor. The startup is not so drastic; thus, a small generator could be used.

Like this: http://www.frigomar.com/images/PDF/F...tainedUnit.pdf
galynd is offline   Reply With Quote