Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 13:53   #1

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
A big hole..

I have this huge hole, that was filled in with some f/g form, that looks hideous, and also leaks like a sieve, as it is just above floor level in the cockpit.

The hole was glassed in rather shabbily from the backside, and I wish to make the repair, right, and also to have it look like it was never there to begin with.

Does this sound about right??

I plan to jig saw the panel out, and then clean up the backside as best as possible. The I will epoxy, and glass in plywood on the back, and then epoxy a filler board to bring the front flush with the existing facing. From there I will bevel what little I can(3/16" thick existing glass) and then add a layer or two of bi-ax glass followed by filling and fairing with 407/410. Then priming and painting.

Does this sound about right, or would anyone have a better idea? I am open to suggestions on how better to do this.

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/W6Ci36]

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/Xk3FBx]

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/Xk3GeV]
Old 01-08-2017, 14:27   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: A big hole..

You shouldn't have any trouble fixing this. Just take your time, & work from a (written down) plan. Consulting the WEST System guides & book(s) as needed. And as to the bevels, once things are cleaned up a bit, you can break out a protractor & mark off how much you need to grind in each location, in order to get the proper bevel. And I typically check my bevels with a straight edge, as it's easy to have them come out rounded instead of flat.

For some excellent tips, with pics on how to do repairs, look up Hooked/Minaret's thread called keel sump (or stub) repair. There's a plethora of great info on laminating techniques in said thread.

EDIT: Here it is. It's long, but it's worth the read. Ditto on following the techniques therein http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ir-164093.html

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 19:23   #3

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Re: A big hole..

Thanks Uncivilized....this will be my first time doing something this big...and the reminder of Minarets was a good one...been a while since I read it.