Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2008, 18:41   #1

A Better Cable Tie ?

We've all been sliced by cable ties. Is there a better design out there than the old standard cable tie? One that is still easily adjustable, still easy to cut off the excess, one that still comes in a variety of sizes, but that won't leave a sharp edge to bite at you?
Michael Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 18:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Take a lighter to the sharp part...just for a second. It eliminates the sharp edge. Or trim off some of the excess but not all of it...that helps too. I dont think there is a perfect solution.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 19:15   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Yes there are and they are called safety ties and Anchor makes them. But try and find them anywhere, go figure. Use a pair of large fingernail clippers to cut the ties and be sure to cut them close and no sharp edges.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 19:29   #4

Boat: 44 footer
Zip Ties don't have to be painful.

Take a razor blade and act like you are going to cut the tail off perfectly flush to the locking square shaped end of the zip tie. Push against the plastic with the razor blade. Then grab the tail and bend it in the direction of the cut. (Or pull towards you whichever is more comfortable... I find pulling away to be easier.)

A stress riser is formed on the plastic by the razor blade. The tail is then sheared off flush leaving nothing exposed to cut you. Bonus... makes for a neater looking installation.

Ta-da...

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 19:35   #5

Boat: Fantasia 35
FYI, I was over at Home Depot a couple of days ago and they now stock all stainless steel cable ties.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 19:48   #6

Boat: Irwin sloop
How do they work? Jesse
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 20:47   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jones View Post
We've all been sliced by cable ties. Is there a better design out there than the old standard cable tie? One that is still easily adjustable, still easy to cut off the excess, one that still comes in a variety of sizes, but that won't leave a sharp edge to bite at you?
It's called "Assumption of Risk". Anytime one does any kind of work they have to be aware of dangerous situations present on the job. And necessity has always been the Mother of invention.

Even just walking down a city street one can get cut by objects sticking out of a wall or equipment.

In the old days , in some societies (I was told long ago), the hands were regarded as one of the most valuable parts of the body. They protected them from as much as possible, it was their lively hood in most cases. (Carpenters, weavers, blacksmiths, farmers and so on)

In my trade I donate a little blood each week just due to the high risk.
Old 21-10-2008, 21:35   #8

Boat: it doesn't have a sail so it doesn't count!
I have "cable gun" that cuts the cable flush so there is no sharp end sticking out. You can also adjust the tension depending what you putting the cable around (tubing vs something solid). Can't remember where I got it but will do some checking and let you know.

craig
NW Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 00:46   #9

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
Nail clippers work very nicely on the tails if you get them close enough.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 01:46   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jones View Post
I hate people who don't cut the cable ties ends properly. I get cut by them every week.

We use a lot of cable ties here, properly a couple of hundred per week and one of the first things I teach new staff is how to cut them flush leaving no sharps edges or points.

Most of the time I see them thinking "What's the big deal". After a couple weeks and many cuts and nicks later, I notice them cutting the ties correctly.

We use small high quality sharp flush side cutters and carefully hold the cutters against the tie end to ensure there is no tail left sticking out to catch the arm of the next guy who has to work on the equipment.

Often the location of the ties precludes the use of cable tie guns etc.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 01:47   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’ve never found the cheaper* cable tie “guns” (tensioning & cutting tools) to be much improvement over the traditional pull (tension), twist & snip (simultaneously) method, using diagonal cutting pliers.

* Cheaper cable-tie tools can be had for $10 - $25, whilst newer, more expensive “ergonomic” manual guns cost around $200 and more.

When installing cable ties, do not over tighten the tie. Pulling the cable tie too tightly against the insulation of the cable can cause damage to the cable. Also, use a cable tie with appropriate width. Large, heavy cables should not be secured with narrow width ties.

When installing cable ties, be careful to cut the plastic tie as close as possible to the lock mechanism, so that the remaining material is square and flush with the lock. I apply a slight twisting motion as I cut the tie.
Cutting cable ties on an angle and leaving a small portion protruding results in the creation of a small plastic knife. Reaching into a bundle of wiring with cable ties improperly trimmed can result in having one's hand cut from the small plastic knives created.

If a cable tie has to be removed, it is best to cut the tie on the input side of the locking ratchet mechanism. This will allow the tie to be re-used. The portion of the cable tie in the locking mechanism can be pushed out, and the cable tie can be used again, albeit that it must be tightened to a smaller loop diameter.

Cable ties which will be installed so that they are exposed to sunlight and weather should be of high quality and made of plastic designed to tolerate UV exposure. The garden-variety white-translucent nylon cable tie does not hold up well if exposed to sunlight for long periods.

Other methods of bundling cable together securely and semi-permanently include cable lacing, binding knots such as the surgeon's knot or constrictor knot, Velcro type hook-and-loop strips, etc.

Although the judicious application of heat can soften the trimmed end of a nylon tie, easing the sharp edges, great care must be taken to not overheat the tie, or the cable it’s securing. I don’t generally recommend the practice.

Thomas & Betts Ty-Rap Cable Tie Installation Tools:
http://www.tnb-canada.com/en/catalog...20Tools_en.pdf

Panduit Cable Tie Installation Tools:
http://www.brownbear.ru/upload/1_120...9311%20GTS.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 01:52   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
And what Gord said
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 09:42   #13

Thanks all!

Based on everyone's response I will continue using cable ties but practice the fine art of snipping them properly. Thanks for all the ideas!
Michael Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 12:20   #14

Boat: Hylas 47
If you want them to last a long time, you can use the mil-spec type that have a metal locking tab instead of a plastic one. They are also made from better quality plastic. I prefer to use the waxed thread and tie a square knot in it. I think it's sold under the name, "Koroseal tape".
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 12:38   #15

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Nail clippers work very nicely on the tails if you get them close enough.

I believe I said that.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote