Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-03-2016, 10:18   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 6000 BTU AC Water Discharge Amount

As bronze garden hose fittings are tough to find, I went with the plastic on my little pump.
It's fittings that are part of the pump are garden hose size, I feel real sure it's really meant to be a yard fountain pump, expected it to fail in 30 days, yet more than a year later it's still going strong.
Two pumps I guess does cost more, but you don't have a single point of failure. I had my March pump fail, right after I got the boat, and before second AC, meaning no AC of course on a Saturday afternoon in July, luckily WM was open, had the part and we had AC again, I now carry an extra in spares.
One advantage of having a second small AC is that you can run it off of a Honda or your inverter for quite a long time as they pull about 50 amps DC.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 20-03-2016, 10:57   #17
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
As bronze garden hose fittings are tough to find, I went with the plastic on my little pump.
It's fittings that are part of the pump are garden hose size, I feel real sure it's really meant to be a yard fountain pump, expected it to fail in 30 days, yet more than a year later it's still going strong.
Two pumps I guess does cost more, but you don't have a single point of failure. I had my March pump fail, right after I got the boat, and before second AC, meaning no AC of course on a Saturday afternoon in July, luckily WM was open, had the part and we had AC again, I now carry an extra in spares.
One advantage of having a second small AC is that you can run it off of a Honda or your inverter for quite a long time as they pull about 50 amps DC.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I wouldn't be using stuff from the garden center for my AC system. A failure could sink the boat. We're talking seawater being pumped into the boat.

For peace of mind, all the equipment, hoses and fittings should be rated for below the waterline use.

Old 20-03-2016, 13:20   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteHalstedc View Post
Yes, I know the Y need replaced, I am just brings systems online, we are going through the entire boat, I was mainly just trying to get the system up yesterday to test the small unit to know if I had any issues with it as I am wrapping up all of the projects in the VBerth where it is installed.

There is plenty of flow through the Y, I can see it being a problem with the final installation, but not with just the small unit connect.

Getting ready to head back over for a day of projects today, I plan to do a few things to test it out. I will bypass the Y, I plan to garden hook a hose to it and see what the flow looks like from that.

Tellie, definitely older units. Last two POs neither did anything "good" with the boat. How do you clean the coils?

There are a few methods to cleaning coils, acid washing etc.. But if they have never been cleaned it very possible they are clogged and thus resulting in your reduced flow on the output side of the A/C. Check the flow before it enters the A/C and see if you don't have better flow and volume there first. If you do have better flow on the input side then it's probably time to clean the coils. A cheap plug here but I manufacture the Bio-Guard systems for A/C units that see a lot of run time and are prone to clogging of the coils and lines that feed the coils. If you are going to run your A/C a lot, especially in the marinas or areas of heavy growth it might be worth taking a look at.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators

BioGuard Brochure - Spectra - PDF Catalogues | Documentation | Boating Brochures
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 15:38   #19

Well today I:

1. Rerouted the hose from the pump to the unit and eliminated about 3 feet.
2. Removed the Y and for not only have the small unit pumped.
3. Removed about 1 1/2 feet of the host between the strainer and the pump and have it in a very nice straight run now.
4. Cleaned the strainer.
5. All fittings are now nylon and double clamped with stainless.

After doing all of that I had much better flow at the pump, it actually shot water a few feet. But when hooked to the unit I still only had a trickle.

After futzing with it for a couple of hours and making a mess of the "almost" completed VBerth, I finally hooked the garden hose to the outlet side of the coil and back flushed it and immediately had a nice bunch of junk push out of the inlet. I hooked everything back up and have very good flow through the entire system now. The unit runs fine and the high pressure switch did not pop out, and good cold air was produced!!!!

This pic might not be very interesting to the casual observer, but I am very proud of it!!!!

So now I need to make a decision. One pump or two. I did find out that the pump relay box is bad, it energized the pumps even with neither AC unit were on, so if I go with one pump I would have to replace the pump relay box.

If I go with 2 pumps I have the 2 through hulls near the unit that were originally for the head, we went with a composting unit, so they are not used, but I would need to add a strainer as well as the pump since there isn't one there now.

Cost wise it would probably be less than $125 more to do a second pump as it would be to replace the relay box etc. And the system will definitely be simpler with each unit wired and plumbed separately. So I am kind of leaning that way, anyone have a good argument for going single pump?

I couldn't source a nylon Y or a 1/2 threaded to 5/8 barb fitting locally so will have to order those if I go with one pump
Old 20-03-2016, 18:21   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Yeah that's what it is supposed to look like. Funny how something like a well flowing thru hull is a thing of beauty that only an owner who fixed it himself can truly appreciate.

You may still have some obstruction in your lines that can't simply be removed by a back flush. If you find that your flow frequently slows down it may be time for an AC tech to come out and do a proper cleaning.

www.HaldenMarineService.com
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 06:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
You may still have some obstruction in your lines that can't simply be removed by a back flush. If you find that your flow frequently slows down it may be time for an AC tech to come out and do a proper cleaning.
Thanks Tellie (and everyone else that made suggestions), I will keep an eye on it, and call in a tech if it does.
Old 21-03-2016, 13:06   #22

Boat: Catalina 30

Pete, if you have trouble finding bronze hose barbs and other fittings, McMaster-Carr is a good resource, especially for getting parts in a hurry.
The 1/2" MPT x 5/8" barb is a case in point, neither WM nor my local independent chandlery had one when I needed one on a Sunday last summer. Next day I ordered it from McMaster about 8:00 am, had it in my hand at luchtime the same day.
Old 22-03-2016, 16:05   #23

When reconstructing my system I went ahead and put two pumps in for redundancy. Either pump was large enough to supply both systems at once but in normal mode they would only supply one. In emergency mode I plumbed them so that I could supply both units with one pump if required. In that mode it required a bit of manual intervention but would work in a jam. Redundancy=happiness☺

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: