Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2012, 16:23   #76

Yes I'm at sailing associates. What is your boats name, I was riding around in the dink yesterday and probably saw it.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 16:34   #77

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: 60 ft on the Chesapeake - It Begins !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
Yes I'm at sailing associates. What is your boats name, I was riding around in the dink yesterday and probably saw it.
The boat is currently called Mavournin, but soon to be changed to Wind Wanderer.
If you come through the bridge heading east, there is a small private marina on the right hand side. We're the CT54 ketch on the T end of the jetty. Blue stripe on the side, bowsprit pointing same direction as the bridge.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 16:42   #78

yep we saw it and commented on how it was about the same size as Nirvana. If you come under the bridge and keep going straight you will run right into the back of Nirvana.
Old 17-09-2012, 17:23   #79

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
yep we saw it and commented on how it was about the same size as Nirvana. If you come under the bridge and keep going straight you will run right into the back of Nirvana.
I remember seeing Nirvana. High transom from memory.

Maybe we should catch up sometime and compare notes regarding any good sources for parts, work, etc.
We expect to be here until early November.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 19:22   #80

Success, after much head scratching and beer drinking I finally got the generator wired back into the breaker panel. Almost trashed my generator in the process...little did i know a 110 powered water pump provided the cooling water to said generator as soon as it is started up. Funny I had never really thought about it before..just assumed it was majic I suppose. It fortunantly auto shutdown at 275 degrees. So as of this posting The 220 power is working, the 110 stuff is working and the DC power is working on both shore power and generator power. I also solved the chain plate leaking, after sealing the crack under the cap rail all the way around..no more leak. I slept on the boat last night and it rained cats and dogs for a bit and I and all the parts under the chain plates stayed dry as a bone. Added deck box and will start re-installing propane plumbing next time. Oh yeah, since I don't have the money, time or inclination to replace the sole, and parts of it are water damaged I found this vinyl mahagony flooring for .99 cents a square foot. Water proof and just stick down. Plus it matches the mahagony wood on the walls almost perfect! I know its not permanent but it will do for the next couple of years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deck Box2.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	46971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Deck Box3.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	46972  

Click image for larger version

Name:	flooring1.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	46973  
Old 30-09-2012, 10:42   #81

Well I've owned to boat six months now and I can honestly say finally that I have seen it top to bottom and bow to stern. I finally made it to the tip top of the mast. Yes all of the stainless steel lights that were manufactured in 1972 will need to be replaced, not because of the stainless but because of the lenses. Another purchase item for the boat show. No idea why my wind instruments do not work, maybe I'll go the wireless route this time. I read about the rust on rigging and candy striping and other issues with the rig...well I'm no expert but I didn't like what I saw up there, so for now I'll pretend I didn't see it and worry about it once I decide to do some serious sailing.
Old 08-10-2012, 14:28   #82

Spent the weekend with the oldest kid on the boat just doing odd jobs. I have to say she is one of the few teenagers I know that does not get on my nerves! I managed to get the 3.5 inch exaughst line off that runs to the expansion chamber about 32 inches long. It was "new" in 2006. it was all burned up. What does that mean? aren't they suppose to last longer than that? Water pump going bad? blockage? it's a perkins 6.354, 135 hp. how can you tell if the exaughst is to hot? I orders two other rubber bits for the manifold, 135 bucks for the pair! ouch...I've started replacing all the cracked hoses on the ol girl... I'll start the rust cleaning and mitigation this winter..maybe along with new engine mounts.
Old 08-10-2012, 14:34   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Can you not revitalize the lenses with the Head Light Renewal kit they use for auto headlamps?

Headlight Restoration Kit: From 3M, Bluemagic & Meguiar Headlight Accessories | Canadian Tire
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 15:26   #84

Deefrze, nope I tried that first. They are just too old and brittle. one of them shattered when I was trying to remove it. one was already broken. I found the light doctor at the boat show and he has some replacement lights in the works that are led and not cost 500 dollars each. He is awaiting USCG certification and then I will probably be one of his first customers. I gave him a good idea for a combo Tri color and anchor light. Maybe he will remember me and cut me a deal.
Old 08-10-2012, 15:53   #85
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

awesome boat--sweet lines--i can see why you are refitting her !! love her lines--you are doing great work!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 15:58   #86

Thanks Zee! Sometimes I get a little overwhelmed but then I just follow your lead and keep on keeping on. Maybe one day once you get through the canal I'll see on this side! Maybe you can teach me how to properly sail the darn thing.
Old 08-10-2012, 16:53   #87

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Kudos to you, DSDman! Went through a similar refurbish on a Transpac 49 years ago and what you learn about the systems, rigging and what is behind, under and above every inch of your vessel and how to repair and maintain her is something that cannot be bought. The confidence it will give you when cruising with friends and family is priceless.
Thanks for a most entertaining and informative post... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 19:04   #88

So was that a Transpac 49 foot boat or was it 49 years ago you did the refit on a transpac? I can only hope that it all works out in the long run and the boat doesn't bankrupt me in the meantime. With three kids entering college over the next six years it's going to be interesting on the finance front. If I can get them to go to college near the water they can live on the boat..might actually pay for itself in dorm fees over six years!
Old 09-10-2012, 00:33   #89

Boat: Tayana 55

Am having a grand time following your rebuild. Did the same thing on our former boat, a Peterson 44. One poster here said that a benefit is that you know your boat and systems inside and out...totally agree. Regards your low RPM problem, I don't know if you have sorted that out yet but I also have a perkins 6-354 on my present boat. A cheap (er, ah, inexpensive) diagnostic is to take the boat out for a run with no air filter. I have learned that sometimes, air flow problems (is there any black smoke and/or unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust when you rev it under load?) that are very cheap (there I go again) to fix are frequently misdiagnosed as fuel flow problems and many many dollars (as in, not cheap) of fuel pump rebuild, lift pump rebuild, tank cleanout, fuel line replacement bla bla bla later, it was a simple matter of not enouigh air flow to mix with the fuel at higher revs under load. I should also have asked whether you can get the revs up over 2000 in neutral. Airflow problems don't usually manifest themselves when not under load of churning propeller while the boat is moving (putting it in gear at the dock and opening throttle will not allow even a properly air and fuel flowed engine to get up on her revs). Anyway, just my "2 cents".....keep up the great work.
Steve
PS. I have probably gone through 2000 pounds of butyl tape (bedding compound) in removing then re-bedding deck hardware, hatches, stanchions etc over the ownership of the 5 boats we have had the pleasure of buying "inexpensively" so I know some of your pain/joy.
Ocean Cowbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:53   #90

Thanks Steve, I had not even considered the air filter issue. Yesterday as I was wrestling the exaughst tube around I hit the air filter housing and noticed the screen on the back side was extremely rusty. So you may be on to something there. Another thing to replace, I also found two ground wires that were very loose and tightened them back up. I'm hoping that solves my malfunctioning tach issue...then I can SEE what RPM the motor is turning. Right now it either reads 800 or 3000+...nothing in between. I didn't have time to start her up yesterday so maybe next week...nope gotta work, it will be the 18 th I guess before I can check it out! Dang real job....

Tags
paracelle