Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 20:14   #1

Boat: morgan 38
3M Blue tape impossible to remove

I used the 3M blue painters masking tape to protect the gel coat on my sailboat while varnishing portions of the wood. Unfortunately pressing issues caused me to step away from the project for months and on return I'm having a nightmare time removing the tape. I've tried mineral spirits, "goof off", paint thinner and most recently heating while scraping which presently seems to work the best. The process is very slow and I am concerned about scratching the gel coat which will lead to other problems down the road. Even when I am able to remove the tape, a sticky substance is left which does not come off with any of the products described above. An additional problem is removing the tape from uneven surfaces such as molded anti slip material which does not lend itself for scraping Any one dealt with a similar problem? Please advise; what has worked?
oceansong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 20:31   #2

Boat: Able 50
Re: 3M Blue tape impossible to remove

There is no easy way. Heating the tape with a hair dryer will help a little. Once the tape is off, rubbing with a rag dipped in acetone will remove the glue.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 20:33   #3

Interlux 202 fiberglass solvent wash well take it off. I know from a similar experience. Leave it on for ten minutes then scrape.
Old 01-04-2014, 21:10   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

3M citrus. Works great, non toxic, won't damage anything.

For smooth surfaces, cut scraps of lexan to size with one edge beveled 45. Then sharpen the beveled edge on a DA with a 1000 grit disc on it and round the corners so it can't scratch. Spray on citrus, let sit for a minute, then scrape away. Use rags and more citrus for remaining residue. Try citrus and a stiff nylon brush for non skid. The big aerosol can goes a very long way.

Amazon.com: 3M 6040 ADHESIVE REMOVER Net Weight 5 Ounce,Can size 6.25 fluid ounce: Office Products

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 22:19   #5

eucalyptus oil might be worth a try..

lexan scraper sounds very handy.
giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 23:25   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post

For smooth surfaces, cut scraps of lexan to size with one edge beveled 45. Then sharpen the beveled edge on a DA with a 1000 grit disc on it and round the corners so it can't scratch. Spray on citrus, let sit for a minute, then scrape away. Use rags and more citrus for remaining residue. Try citrus and a stiff nylon brush for non skid. The big aerosol can goes a very long way.

Amazon.com: 3M 6040 ADHESIVE REMOVER Net Weight 5 Ounce,Can size 6.25 fluid ounce: Office Products
Ditto!
But I've had good luck wiping the tape with rag soaked in WD-40 and then dipping a plastic scraper in WD-40, working my way along with the rag and scraper.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:10   #7

Boat: morgan 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post

Lexan sounds better then the razor blades I've been using. I see on the web site the following product: 49048 Clear Industrial Citrus Base 24 ounce. Seems the same in larger container, considering the large areas I'm working on , I may need the larger container. I also wonder about using the citrus varnish remover sold in HD as well. I'm also going to try the Interlux 202 fiberglass solvent wash as I'm sure I have a can somewhere...I did try WD40 which worked minimally. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know what works best.
oceansong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:46   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

There was another thread on this a couple of months ago.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...al-120321.html

Maybe a PM to the OP on that thread will provide an answer
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:44   #9

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: 3M Blue tape impossible to remove

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansong1 View Post
... I'm having a nightmare time removing the tape. I've tried ... "goof off" ...
Me too. Add beer and yer done.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:00   #10
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Lexan sounds better then the razor blades I've been using. I see on the web site the following product: 49048 Clear Industrial Citrus Base 24 ounce. Seems the same in larger container, considering the large areas I'm working on , I may need the larger container. I also wonder about using the citrus varnish remover sold in HD as well. I'm also going to try the Interlux 202 fiberglass solvent wash as I'm sure I have a can somewhere...I did try WD40 which worked minimally. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know what works best.

Do NOT try 202. It is an incredibly potent solvent and will severely damage all sorts of things. It is designed for use on bottoms only. If you spill some in the boatyard, it will eat a big hole in the pavement pronto! And it absolutely requires good safety gear. I've been doing this professionally on an industrial level for a long time, and I don't even like to use the stuff. Even dissolves heavy rubber gloves. Citrus does at least as good a job without all the risk. Get the big can, maybe two if you really have a lot to do. Spray on ability also saves a surprising amount of time and rags. If you think blue tape is bad, you should try 3M Pre-Masking tape. $150 a roll, and it still leaves a brutal adhesive mess. Except this stuff is 24" wide!

http://www.amazon.com/3M-SCPM-44X-Pr.../dp/B007ZTBA26

Old 20-04-2014, 04:08   #11

Boat: Seal 22, 22 feet LOA

Quote:
I used the 3M blue painters masking tape to protect the gel coat on my sailboat while varnishing portions of the wood. Unfortunately pressing issues caused me to step away from the project for months and on return I'm having a nightmare time removing the tape. I've tried mineral spirits, "goof off", paint thinner and most recently heating while scraping which presently seems to work the best. The process is very slow and I am concerned about scratching the gel coat which will lead to other problems down the road. Even when I am able to remove the tape, a sticky substance is left which does not come off with any of the products described above. An additional problem is removing the tape from uneven surfaces such as molded anti slip material which does not lend itself for scraping Any one dealt with a similar problem? Please advise; what has worked?
Hi,
I have now removed all my blue tape not easy as I am sure you've discovered.
The easiest way I found, and we tried all the suggestions on the forum, was I had a hobby scalpel set, with a razor sharp chisel edged point.
I carefully eased the sharp edge of the chisel under an end of the tape until I could get a finger hold on that raised end.
I then gently and slowly pulled the tape backwards and and very close to the boat, i.e. not at 90 degrees to the boat, also with a slight downwards angle.
Using this method I could get, with practice, several feet of tape off at a time.
I used a green scourer with acetone, nail varnish remover, to remove any glue that remained attached.
I hope this is useful.

Pagan
Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 05:32   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

120 grit flapper disk works too.

Just kidding, DONT try this.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 08:14   #13
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
Hi,
I have now removed all my blue tape not easy as I am sure you've discovered.
The easiest way I found, and we tried all the suggestions on the forum, was I had a hobby scalpel set, with a razor sharp chisel edged point.
I carefully eased the sharp edge of the chisel under an end of the tape until I could get a finger hold on that raised end.
I then gently and slowly pulled the tape backwards and and very close to the boat, i.e. not at 90 degrees to the boat, also with a slight downwards angle.
Using this method I could get, with practice, several feet of tape off at a time.
I used a green scourer with acetone, nail varnish remover, to remove any glue that remained attached.
I hope this is useful.

Pagan

So you're saying you tried 3M citrus adhesive remover and acetone worked better? Don't think so. Bet you didn't try it.