Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 16:35   #16

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: 3D printing parts

Nice work hdoo2e. In your first post you mentioned using 3D design software Sketchup. I have alot of success with the freeware FreeCAD for generation of my 3D parts. Its got steep learning curve, but there are plenty of YouTube tutorials posted by clever users.

I recently received some publicity from 3D HUBS on providing singular or more metal parts from submitted CAD files. I can understand I could PLA print a part to make sure the fit was correct adjust as required, and then send the correct file off for a metal production quote. I have not gone done the quote route yet, but here is the link for others to read if of interest.
https://www.3dhubs.com/s3fs-public/metal-kit.pdf .
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 16:45   #17

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34

Hello OldGreyB, thank you for sharing your process and the pdf. That is certainly very interesting for metal parts. What have you had manufactured and did you go the CNCor die cast route?
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 18:21   #18

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
Hello OldGreyB, thank you for sharing your process and the pdf. That is certainly very interesting for metal parts. What have you had manufactured and did you go the CNCor die cast route?

No I have not gone the step from self printing at home to having a part made by either method. The method would depend on the object required to be generated. However it certainly has interesting possibilities for those unobtainable boat parts, as long as one can CAD it. If you look on YouTube for FreeCAD tutorials by j16out - it makes one realise any of those hard parts to draw a not so bad once one understands the technique and rules behind the CAD. He draws a 4 bladed propeller in about 30 minutes in his tutorial3.
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 18:24   #19

Boat: Morgan 24/25 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
Recently did another project around the boat to replace reading lights to LED. What I used is a cheap IKEA desk lamp (model HARTE) that I hacked and then CAD designed and 3D printed brackets for it to be bulkhead mounted.

The IKEA lamp is a beauty and very easy to modify. It is powered by USB and comes with a long wire.

Attachment 161613

Attachment 161616

Attachment 161617
nice! elegant but simple...
Capt. Rehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 22:22   #20

When investing on a 3D printer, I would suggest to get a handheld 3D scanner too. It would save time on trying to draw up the broken parts from scratch. Just scan, edit and ready to print.

It's sad that the current metal printer I've seen are about the size of an office printer. If not it would be a great investment too.
seidulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:22   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidulas View Post
When investing on a 3D printer, I would suggest to get a handheld 3D scanner too. It would save time on trying to draw up the broken parts from scratch. Just scan, edit and ready to print.

It's sad that the current metal printer I've seen are about the size of an office printer. If not it would be a great investment too.
Im thinking of just buying a 3D scanner and have the parts printed by a make service. My thoughts are that a scanner will hold up better in the tropics than an infrequently used printer and that the make services have a much wider range of materials to choose from than I want to acquire.

Any recommendations re 3D scanners for small parts?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 16:22   #22

Investment casting or "lost wax" casting can produce precision metal parts requiring little final finishing, works for jewellery to gas turbine blades. Perhaps a combo of 3D printing the "wax" model followed by conventional casting could put aluminium and brass bits with decent strength in reach of a determined amateur fabricator.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:55   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Rather than building objects layer by layer, the “Replicator” 3D printer creates whole structures by projecting light into a resin that solidifies.

More ➥ https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...cator-is-here/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:21   #24

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Rather than building objects layer by layer, the “Replicator” 3D printer creates whole structures by projecting light into a resin that solidifies.

More ➥ https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...cator-is-here/

I read that article too! Quite interesting. They know we love to play with “resin”!
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:02   #25

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

I am surprised there is so little interest in 3D printing? I have been looking for a forum where people are printing and sharing there 3D printing experiences. I have been printing for three years now mainly parts for my Krogen 42 and find that I am saving a great deal of time and money by designing and printing the parts I need. Any ideas on a good site to share drawings and information?
gpscharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:07   #26

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpscharts View Post
I am surprised there is so little interest in 3D printing? I have been looking for a forum where people are printing and sharing there 3D printing experiences. I have been printing for three years now mainly parts for my Krogen 42 and find that I am saving a great deal of time and money by designing and printing the parts I need. Any ideas on a good site to share drawings and information?

What parts are you specifically printing? I can think of very few if any parts that I could print that could take the stress-strain of the application I need them for.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:27   #27

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

The list is endless as my printer is running constantly. Before I show you some of the parts i have installed on the boat a little history on 3D printing. There are many materials that can be used in 3D printing, PLS which is most common is only used for prototyping as it will print quite fast but low strength and no UV protection. You need strength go with Poly-carbonate. https://www.simplify3d.com/support/m...perties-table/

here are a few of my printed brainstorms..

Radar bracket
Duel LED bracket for interior light
Sign board standoff
Spreader bar brackets and end caps
Duel mast head camera and anchor light mount
Cable management hangers
Radio bezel
Name plates for breakers
Computer mounting brackets
And this is just a start……
gpscharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:53   #28

I don’t have a 3D printer. But, if I did, I would print clips to hang my shurhold long-handle brush and boat hook to my bimini frame.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:08   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibstay View Post
I don’t have a 3D printer. But, if I did, I would print clips to hang my shurhold long-handle brush and boat hook to my bimini frame.

No need, look at the rail mount, not the surface mount
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/unite...01?recordNum=2
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:15   #30

Thanks. I’m of Scottish descent, so $25 would be painful.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts