Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 00:46   #1

34ft John Allmand

I am interested in this boat, I have found on several other really old forums that the Allmand boats were really heavily built like Bertrams. This one is going cheap at $3,000 in Orlando, it has issues of the engines being flooded and obviously needs TLC. The owner can transport it but requires the trailer back, I have been looking for 35' and up cruisers but at this price it may be something to consider, anybody have any thoughts? I was thinking of sending money directly to him because I am in Alaska and I cannot leave on a moments notice, my plans were to build up my kitty first and then go shopping this next winter when I fly down to vacation.

I can state my position that yes I have worked on boats, I've been a diesel mechanic for 30 years and I definitely know how to fabricate and rewire anything electrical. I'm 51 and getting tired of sitting on my butt all winter especially our long Alaska winter, I want something I can restore about 4 months or so a year in Florida and just keep it in storage the rest of the time, no big plans on cruising with it or doing long term liveaboard.

Its currently listed here:34ft John Allmand, liveaboard Flybridge cabincruiser, needs engines!
Silverado6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:09   #2

A boat with a PAIR of Chevy 454s is not a thing I would want to be paying the gas bill for in this day and age!
Old 01-04-2008, 01:45   #3

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Buy it.3 large you cant go wrong.So long as you have somewhere to have the boat kept hopefully on a mooring where you can take a case of beer a pack of cards and a couple of good mates who gives a rats whether the donks are anygood for that price your king of the world.If you want to go 'fishin n stuff' beautiful.Later on sell the fuel gussling beast and get yourself a sailboat.Doesnt matter how you do it just enjoy it.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:08   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
This kind of boat can be had very cheap and there are a lot of them down here like this, not any big deal, It is a solid built boat, My neighbour had a 30" one that sat in his yard for years and then just gave it away last year .
Im certin you can get this boat for a lot less then 3k, the troble is storage, and its gonna cost a lot of fuel when you do get it together
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:24   #5

I'm new to buying a boat, working on them yes I do from time to time, I happen to live in Alaska and what we have up here is basically fishing boats, its nothing like Florida where I am planning to start snowbirding starting next year from november to april, at 51 I am getting weary of our long dark Alaskan winters, summers a hoot though and I make tons of wages that make up for not working in the winter, my house and dually are paid for(maybe a payment or two on the truck) and I have seen listings of what I think is affordable storage rates in Florida like around the Tampa Bay area. I am getting some feedback on this now and it does look like its something to pass up, my goal was to begin with was a larger boat of 40' or more which I have several on my list, the boat market looks terribly sluggish and a lot of people are bailing out of their "holes in the water" especially the ones with fuel hungry engines, its a buyers market but I am listening with due respects from the old salts here and I say thanks to them, if something does come from this I will post my adventure with it, my son and grandchildren would love to have it as a playhouse.
Silverado6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote