Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2012, 06:40   #1

30ft Columbia Keel bolts

My neighbor in the marina has a 1973 Columbia 30. While on the hard he noticed the keel was loose. He used PL5200 and the longest "lag" bolts he could find. Tightend her up and faired it in. The yard owner said to do it right he would need to invest about $4,000. and recommended he not sail her the way it was repaired. Any ideas? He's in the Marines and has little money.
Thanks
toplessracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 06:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: 30ft Columbia Keel bolts

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, toplessracer.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 07:35   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplessracer View Post
My neighbor in the marina has a 1973 Columbia 30. While on the hard he noticed the keel was loose. He used PL5200 and the longest "lag" bolts he could find. Tightend her up and faired it in. The yard owner said to do it right he would need to invest about $4,000. and recommended he not sail her the way it was repaired. Any ideas? He's in the Marines and has little money.
Thanks

I looked at a Columbia with broken bolts. They are all accessible, but there may well be more to it than just replacing or tightening the bolts. I understand that he doesn't have the money, but lives are at stake here. He needs to consult someone very knowledgeable -- and then listen to them.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 08:06   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Lag bolts in pure lead are IMHO a bad idea. In pig iron it's OK, but in pure lead I'd be worried about the bolts drawing the thread. There are numbers out there on how much "bury" of lag bolt is needed in lead to prevent this, so it is done, and I remember being surprised at how little it was. Still I wouldn't sleep well like that. It should have been obvious when tapping which is the case here. On larger boats cheek bolts are often used for this, but that is a process which has it's own drawbacks. I would suggest appropriately sized SS or bronze rod run all the way through and threaded as needed. Use a forstner bit to bore the counterbore for the nuts and washers on the bottom, then fair over with epoxy. Boring the holes is a nightmare, if you drop the keel lining up properly becomes a problem, if you don't you need much more than jobber length bits, and have to resort to extensions. Sometimes you run into a scenario where the extension and bit length needed is more than the available headroom! But only on big boats usually. Jobber length bits and extensions are expensive. So is SS or Bronze rod. But it is a fairly simple job for DIY, just a bear to pull off right.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 08:21   #5

Thank you to all who have greeted me and posted answers. I will pass them on. The owner is using the boat as a live aboard, and will not sail it til it is properly repaired.
Thank you all again.....
Old 23-05-2012, 13:23   #6

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

I would say go sailing, but bring a dinghy! YOLO!
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 14:29   #7

Thank you "Tagger". I already made that suggestion, but since it's is his home, he is obviously reluctant.

Tags
columbia, keel bolts