Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 18:03   #1

3-Way Selector Valve with BSPT threads

Does anyone know where I could find a Selector valve (takes from Port A or Port B and puts the flow to port C and it looks like a plumging T)...with BSPT (British Standard Pipe Taper). The USA uses NPT thread. I've looked all over the internet and don't find anything in the states. It's in a tight spot so I can't use BSPT to NPT adapters.

Much appreciated,
Duane
Old 11-11-2017, 18:32   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: 3-Way Selector Valve with BSPT threads

I assume you mean for water or oil, probably bronze. I found most manufacturers such as Parker offer various end configurations. Try also McMaster Carr. If you want large valves such as sanitary or wet exhaust try Banjo Valves Valves | Banjo Corp - Liquid Handling Products.

Be careful using yellow brass. There is too much zinc in the alloy and it will be unsuitable for sea warmer.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 09:28   #3

Boat: Morgan 382

You should be able to use the NPT available fittings. The only difference between the two threads are the thread angle. The NPT has a 60 degree angle, while the BSPT uses a 55 degree. A little extra tape will more than makeup for the difference since both are tapered to 3/4" per ft.
Janos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 15:18   #4

Bps and npt are interchangeable up to 1 1/2"
Rod B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 15:20   #5

That should be bsp
Rod B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 17:52   #6

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

To clarify the difference between BSP & NPT:

BSP threads are angled at 55 degrees, NPT are 60 degrees. Not a big deal under non critical low pressure applications.

If the fittings are 1/4" or 3/8", there are 18 and 19 threads per inch on NPT and BSP. They will screw together but the threads will be damaged and it will likely leak.

On 1/2" and 3/4" fittings, both have 14 threads per inch, so if your 3 way valve is 1/2" or 3/4" you may be ok, if you use a good quality sealant or quality teflon tape.

On fittings between 1" and 2" inclusive NPT have 11 1/2' threads per inch, BSP has 11 threads per inch; close and sometimes they will seal- but I wouldn't mix the threads on fuel lines or anything critical like that.

If the fittings are stainless steel. I wouldn't recommend bsp & npt of any size. The threads will gall and bind up.

Here's a listing of other sizes. NPT vs. BSP Pipe | Pipe and Hose
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote