Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-12-2008, 10:36   #1

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
28 Year Build

I'm sure some have already seen this site, but for those who haven't it's worth a look, very impressive work and perseverance. Don't know about you, but I'm impressed.
S/V Restless

Old 17-12-2008, 12:13   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
Thanks Bob..I had a look ...good site...nice boat...perseverance!!

James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 16:33   #3

Has anyone been in his neck of the woods and seen the boat up close. Just wondering if it looks as good as the pictures show it.
Old 18-12-2008, 10:20   #4

Boat: 50' custom pilot house cutter
28 year build

Bob, thanks for the comments. I may be a little biased, but I've seen the boat up close and personal (probably too personal) and I think the pictures really don't do the old girl justice... she's quite a lot nicer in person. Course that may just be parental pride talking.

Actually I've got to update that web site, because it's now closer to 30 years and she's still not really done. But we're getting there, and she's very liveable. I have a week off for the holidays, and the project is the aft cabin over head, which I've been struggling with for some time. Have it just about figured out now, all framed and templated, and should be able to fly through some 80 plus teak pieces to hold it all up.

Best, Bob S/V Restless
Old 18-12-2008, 10:27   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

have you sailed
Old 18-12-2008, 10:41   #6

28 year build

Yes, we have sailed her, but not with proper sails or gear. We did manage to fly a big, very beat up genoa this past summer, and also a 20 year old Hood main... not the gear I want to take south, but enough to play around with. My standard response to people who keep asking me when we're going to get proper sails for the boat is that I can probably have them within a week after they write the check. That usually quiets them down, especially because the question usually comes from people whose entire boat cost less than my boom. One step at a time, and all that...

By the way, James, that's very, very nice work you're doing on your project... I especially liked the bow piece, the davits, and the hatch latching arrangement. Well done.

Best, Bob S/V Restless
Old 18-12-2008, 11:17   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Bob...that means a lot coming from you.
Old 18-12-2008, 12:59   #8
Provocateur & Raconteur

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau.com TW31 Modified
That's an incredible story Bob (S/V Restless). I especially enjoyed the photo essay. When I got to the pictures of the launch I choked up a lil' bit just imagining how it must have been for you at that moment when she floated free of the trailer (and managed to stay afloat) .

I hope to build my own boat (sorry it'll be a trawler not a sailboat) someday and your story is an inspiration. I hope you get a chance to update your web site soon, I'd like to follow your progress. Cheers!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 15:32   #9

What I should have said is, I'm sure the pictures as great as they are don't do it justice.
Bob
Old 18-12-2008, 15:57   #10

Boat: Westsail 32
Craftsmanship

Amazing what a person can accomplish when they put thier mind to it.
Old 18-12-2008, 17:52   #11

All I can say is WOW!!! What a gorgeous Yacht!!!! You did an excellent job on your yacht and it is something worthy of endless pride!! I would love to have a yacht of similar build quality and looks!!
Old 20-12-2008, 10:36   #12

28 year build

Thanks all, for the comments. Glad you liked the site, and yes, I do need to update.
Knotty, I have been following your updates on building for some time, and it seems like you have done a lot of careful preparation and put a lot of thought into the boat building process. All I can add to your planning is the idea that committment is by far the biggest part of it... if you really want to get it done, you will, eventually. There's probably never a really good time in one's life to build a boat, because the truth is that it takes so long that life changes drastically now and then along the way, as it does whether or not you're building a boat. So if you really want to, you might as well just get started, when you think the time is right... because the time is probably never going to be absolutely ideal.
I think most projects don't make it because people underestimate the committment required, and the committment only works if you put a lot of effort into keeping the rest of your life fairly balanced... which can be hard, especially in these difficult times. Don't know if this makes much sense, but I guess the point is any one can do what I've done, if they just keep putting one foot in front of the other, slowly and fairly methodically. But they have to want to, and wants change over the years of the process.
I can tell you that it's a tremendously rewarding and satifying thing to do.
Hope this helps,
Best, Bob S/V Restless
Old 20-12-2008, 12:08   #13

Boat: Searunner 31
Bob,
What I really appreciate I think, is your ability has been translated in different mediums (steel & wood or probably anything else you laid your hands on). I'm saying this as a wood craftsman of over 35 yrs. It is a beautiful but more importantly functional piece of art.
Randy
Old 20-12-2008, 15:51   #14

28 year build

Thanks Randy, you nailed it, a beautiful and functional piece of art is exactly what I've been striving for all these years. I'm entirely self taught, and I supported myself doing metal sculpture (and swordfishing) all through the '70's. I think metal working skills probably translate to woodworking a little better than vice versa, as do the tools. I often use my bridgeport milling machine, and south bend metal lathe, working with wood, but can't use the wood tools on metal.

When I started, I felt pretty confident in my metal working, but when it came to start the wood work I stalled and stalled... turns out that the metal work had gone even better than I had expected, and I didn't want to butcher the interior with half baked wood working skills.

So I built some large built ins for the house, 20' book cases, corner desks, etc., and slowly realized that wood working wasn't that different... common sense and patience will get the job done, especially if you're willing to do it again if you don't like it. You just have to figure out how.

Pattern making, jigs, work holding methods etc. can often be the same with either medium. I use my dial calipers with wood all the time, and think in thousands of an inch, a la metal, instead of 16ths or 32nds.

I also think I was lucky to buy all my teak when I did, for an average of $3/board foot at the O'Day and Pearson auctions, because the stuff is so dimensionally stable... it's like working with aluminum. You cut it or mill it or do something to it and it stays where you put it, unlike the mahoganies and others. I cut some phillipine mahogany today for some cleat stock for the aft cabin overhead, and was a little surprised when it twisted and warped all over the place... I don't think the interior would have come out so well if I had chosen a wood other than teak, because my inexperience would have showed more. Maybe now I could pull it off in cherry or something... butternut maybe?

I'm just a guy whose hands start to itch if I go more than a couple of weeks without making something... in my day job for the last 15 years I've designed and built scientific instruments... parts for satellites, vacuum chambers, telescopes, infra red cameras, etc. Interesting and fun and always different, but I usually have to fight with the scientists to get any art into it. Now I'm teaching a course on scientific instrument design and fabrication to doctoral candidates and post doc physicists, and I have a chance to influence their artistic design sense, which I like a lot. Form should always follow function, but there's often no reason why it can't look good doing it.

Best, Bob S/V Restless
Old 21-12-2008, 00:26   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob kingsland View Post
Form should always follow function, but there's often no reason why it can't look good doing it.

Best, Bob S/V Restless
Truer words never spoken

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: