Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-05-2008, 03:21   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
Wow…really good stuff guys!
The diversity of solutions …and every one is better than rewinding the motor.

The previous engine was 72HP the new one is 84hp

I won’t have a generator on board, so I am going with a single big battery bank of 800 -1000. Conventional wisdom suggest that 200 -250 amp charge capacity could be about optimum…in fact 300 wouldn’t be out of line given inefficiencies.

The Zena data says its is 12V 200amp alternator draws 11hp…..it is a lot.

I’ll also have an engine driven refer compressor.

The engine has some excellent machined flat areas threaded holes for fabricating and mounting brackets.
I hadn’t though of re-fabricating the engine mounts….that could help a lot in the “bracket" design.

I had the factory supply the engine with a PTO shaft (coming off the crank)

The engine has one self tensioning poly vee belt running the alternator and the circulating pump (the sea water pump is gear driven off the fly wheel)

I figured I’d install some sort of a shock/torque suppressing pulley on the PTO, then string the alternator and compressor belts off of them….radiating out in whatever looks right to equalize the lateral force on the crank shaft….this should also include countering the force from the existing poly vee.. as well.

I think I also prefer keeping the batteries near the thruster.

These little 12 to 24v chargers are pretty intriguing…Would this just wire of a switch/breaker on the main panel….what are the chances of this depleting my house bank if there’s a problem with them
I looked at the Victron site…it wasn’t clear if these are like smart or stepped chargers…I didn’t understand how they regulate the rate of charge.

I have the same question with an AC charger…in this case I can by a smart charger and plug it in….however it will still have the ability to deplete my house bank threw the inverter. ….I guess in either case you just switch it off…..right?

I have this bone in my head that say keep the house bank and the thrusters completely isolated.

I’m starting to lean toward an “off the shelf” multi stage AC 24V battery charger, Plugged into (not hard wired) a receptacle (socket outlet as our British cousins say) that’s on a circuit/breaker on the AC side of my panel and that’s it.
Easy to replace and cheap.
Probably hook up all the batteries on Heart or some kind of battery monitor system.

I am trying to keep in mind that the thruster is normally used while the engine is running, Making me think that replenishing the thrusters batteries fast…while the engine is running is a good thing….
I think the potential charge rate for a AC battery charger running of the inverter is going to be much more than the 12 to 24V chargers….I think these are around 5.5amp

What do you think.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:28   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK....I will hard wire the charger...

Old 10-05-2008, 14:19   #18

I think you're on the right track with an inexpensive 24 smart charger off the inverter (the 12-24v transformers are not smart). Something like the 30amp Victron Centaur. If you think of it, leave it on when using the bow thruster. The 28 volt charge will make the thruster motor very happy - just like running the engine if you had a 24v alternator. It won't drain your house bank since it draws almost nothing when the thruster battery is fully charged.

Carl
Old 10-05-2008, 14:49   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Carl

I had a look at it…it says;
“Other features include fully automatic three stage charge characteristic that ensures batteries are fully charged every time and three isolated charge outputs for multi battery configurations to suit the majority of typical installations. The range spans 12V and 24V models from 16A through to 100A”

Does having isolated charge outputs mean that I can charge 12 and 24V at the same time?
Old 30-10-2008, 09:39   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

An update.

I bought a Side Power Series/Parallel switch box.
Havenít touched it yet, its still in route.

I donít know if its better or worse than the othersÖ.but I think Side Power has a good reputation.

Around $1600

Thanks
Old 30-10-2008, 10:46   #21

I have a 10HP 24V Sidepower bow thruster. It is powered by 2x 4D 12V batteries housed close to the thruster and wired via a Sleipner Sidepower combiner arrangement. Batteries are charged with a dual output 2x 15 amp charger. You should consider the current load before you relocated batteries away from the thruster. I was impressed to find out that my unit is rated at 340 amps!!!
(as is my stern thruster).

Chris
Old 30-10-2008, 18:21   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Chris

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: