Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2012, 07:09   #1

23 ft Alberg Sea Sprite Deck Questions

I am the new owner of a 23 ft Sea Sprite, my first boat. I am obviously very enthusiastic about making my new vessel as sea worthy as possible and getting her out on the water for some weekend trips. I purchased the boat knowing that there would be some repairs... what 30 year old boat doesn't need some work? It was inexpensive and I love to tinker, so its a good start for me.

Now, to my questions:
The hatch on the foredeck was leaking badly so I pulled it out and re-bedded it with tips I have learned from reading older posts (thanks to all for those!). When I had the hatch out, I saw that there is a pretty significant gap between the layers of fiberglass creating a, approx 2x2 channel around the hatch. looking inside the gap, it appears that it was constructed this way as the balsa core is cleanly cut on the inside and doesn't show any signs of rot. The bottom has pulled away from the top though and split the fiberglass, as evidenced in the photo i attached. Also, the bottom skin of the cored deck has separated from the wood though and the headliner can be pushed up back to the spar that supports the deck stepped mast. So, my question is, has anyone ever seen this before and is it something I should try to re-bond? I haven't figured out how to un-step the mast and there are no bolts visible, so I don't know if it is intentional to allow access to the base of the mast from the underside. I feel like it would be a pretty easy fix to inject en epoxy into the gap between the balsa and the fiberglass and clamp the two together until it cures. I also though about replacing the screws that hold the hatch in place with through bolts, but the open channel would require some type of spacers to bear the load and getting them into the channel would do more harm than good as I would have to pry the deck further apart. I am interested in anyone's thoughts and appreciate the input.

Some amplifying notes: The top of the deck is rock solid with no soft or hollow spots. The underside has several spots where there is a similar gap as the channel around the hatch. There appear to be designed into the deck to access the underside of throughbolts.

I really appreciate any input from the community!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deck Core 1.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	44932  
Flying074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 07:31   #2

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: 23 ft Alberg Sea Sprite Deck Questions

Epoxy and clamp would be my first thought also.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 07:44   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: 23 ft Alberg Sea Sprite Deck Questions

Can't help you with your problem, but congrats on acquiring, IMO, one off the "sweeetest" little sailboats ever built.
Sailed 2 of them years ago. One was named FUN--and it was

Welcome to the CF, photos please.

Tags
alberg, deck