Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 15:26   #1

20/25 ft 1978 Sea Ray Flybridge Sedan Cruiser

I'm to this forum & will eventually have a number of questions I hope I can discuss with you people. I'm rebuilding subject fiberglass cruiser

The question of the day concerns the water system. The boat originally
used a 10 gallon water tank located in the bilge just ahead of engine and on the port side -the water pump was tiny. I have removed the tank & am replacing it with a 40 gallon located under the forward sleep quarters. The pump will be a Shurflow smart sensor 4.0 which automatically maintains a 50 psi outlet pressure. The system will provide
water: to a sink in the cabin; to the Dometic Sealand toilet which has a self contained 10 gallon holding tank (located in a small head); and to a portable shower head located on the aft deck which is self draining overboard. The shower will also be used as a deck wash down.

In order to have hot water I'm looking at a portable tankless propane water heater - there are several versions on the market two I know of are
EZ101
Eccotemp L5
I know propane use is a safety issue so the unit would be located on the back deck not in the cabin - propane would also be used with a small portable stove which can be set up on the back deck. The preliminary plan is to hang the water heater off the flybridge railing when in use and otherwise stored. The Eccotemp has a 37500 btu heat output so it can get pretty hot. I'm not too crazy about having a 20 lb propane tank on board so am leaning to the small portable through away bottles.

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions on the water system as I've got time to make changes. At the moment the only things fixed are the size/location of the water tank, size of the pump and the head

A side issue on relocation of the water tank is how that effects the running angle/perfromance of the boat. The boat with 3 men (approx 600#) on board, 62 gallons of fuel and the cabin interior gutted runs 33 mph via GPS. The boat gets up on plane fast enough to ski behind - the
260 hp Mercruiser turns 5200 rpm. The boat will have a Honda IU 2000 E generator to run the microwave and air conditioner. Originally the plan was to store generator under the forward deck and place it on the forward deck when operating but I'm a little concerned about CO drifting back down thru the closed hatch into the sleep quarters. I enlarged the rope locker hatch so the generator could be lowered out of sight. But now Since I've moved the water weight forward the generator can be mounted
on the swim platform when in use and pulled back onto the aft deck
for storage. I' not interested in speed what with the price of gas but I would like to have plenty of weight fwd so when I get up to around10 mph
I'mnot digging a huge holein the water - the boat has a 19 degree V at the stern. Hey I have some how hit the wrong key combination on my computer and when I erase a letter it does it going forward so I'm going to stop - you will notice some quircky spelling earlier whereI made some corrections lioke for instance it should say at the beginning "I'm new to this forum" sorry about that but I do not know how to undo it
Thanks

Ralph
ralphab10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, sea ray