Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2012, 08:06   #16

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II
Re: 2-part polyurethane paints

I just repainted the deck with 2-parts Interlux Perfection with added Flatening Agent and Intergrip for non-skid areas. I find the result is good but found it very hard to apply the paint with the Intergrip without showing any roller marks. We applied two coats primer and 2 coats finish. But that was the fun part of the job. Preparation took us a lot more time because our deck was already painted and we had to strip, sand and remove all previous paints. Then we had to open all the tiny cracks with the Dremel and fill in with putty several times, sanding between applications then apply finishing putty, sanding again, then apply one coat of primer, fix again some visible cracks and repairs, sanding, etc.
We also had areas where there were just too many cracks, like the cockpit benches where some previous owner had installed teak planks screwed in fiberglass the result was spider cracks all over. There, we grinded the fiberglass and relaminated with 3 mats and finishing putty. I never realized that this was such a huge job until I was deep in it and could not see the end of it!
My next project, after some time for a break, is to paint the hull, and I will use Perfection paint with the Roll & Tip technic, which makes a beautifull finish on all boats I have seen done this way.
And my colors are cream for the deck and will also be navy blue for the hull, which is now painted with Awlgrip green.
Old 22-08-2012, 08:17   #17
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandgilbert99 View Post
I just repainted the deck with 2-parts Interlux Perfection with added Flatening Agent and Intergrip for non-skid areas. I find the result is good but found it very hard to apply the paint with the Intergrip without showing any roller marks. We applied two coats primer and 2 coats finish. But that was the fun part of the job. Preparation took us a lot more time because our deck was already painted and we had to strip, sand and remove all previous paints. Then we had to open all the tiny cracks with the Dremel and fill in with putty several times, sanding between applications then apply finishing putty, sanding again, then apply one coat of primer, fix again some visible cracks and repairs, sanding, etc.
We also had areas where there were just too many cracks, like the cockpit benches where some previous owner had installed teak planks screwed in fiberglass the result was spider cracks all over. There, we grinded the fiberglass and relaminated with 3 mats and finishing putty. I never realized that this was such a huge job until I was deep in it and could not see the end of it!
My next project, after some time for a break, is to paint the hull, and I will use Perfection paint with the Roll & Tip technic, which makes a beautifull finish on all boats I have seen done this way.
And my colors are cream for the deck and will also be navy blue for the hull, which is now painted with Awlgrip green.
It is very diificult to apply skid with no roller lap marks. Next time use the sprinkle on technique or spray it. Comes out perfect every time.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 09:19   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
It is very diificult to apply skid with no roller lap marks. Next time use the sprinkle on technique or spray it. Comes out perfect every time.
+1. Re did my decks using this technique (well...the guy I was paying used this technique...) turned out great. And, it is repairable and maintainable, unlike many molded-in non-skid patterns (which is why I re-did the decks this way in the first place).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 06:08   #19

Re: 2-part Polyurethane Paints

And what did they use to sprinkle the Intergrip on the paint evenly?
Old 23-08-2012, 06:52   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
And what did they use to sprinkle the Intergrip on the paint evenly?
Salt shaker with the holes modified, if necessary, to accommodate the grit of silica used.

In my case, used gel coat and not 2-part LPU on decks, but I assume same principle/process would apply (Minaret can answer more authoritatively if not). We laid down a coat of gel coat, sprinkled on silica while still wet, repeated a couple of times and then topped off with a final layer of gel coat. Has held up quite well and is way easier to repair than molded in non-skid.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 07:24   #21

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Over thirty years of touching up the nonskid would have led to a heavy buildup of paint and sand. When the LP touchup and repaint got to the point that the nonskid qualities were diminished I did something else. Using epoxy and paint stripper, I removed the nonskid completely to the level of the epoxy/fiberglass base on the deck. I then made any repairs (dropped anchor fractures, etc.) then put down a primer base coat, two or three coats of hull color for the waterways, then masked and rolled a fresh coat of nonskid color on the deck areas to be non-skidded. Immediately afterward (these masked areas being only a few square feet at a time) I threw handfuls of clean, dry sand on the fresh paint surface and let it dry. The next morning, I simply brushed and vacuumed the area to prep for the next layers of paint. Only one grain thickness adhered to the first coat, so it was no problem. You then apply enough topcoat to seal the sand and to ensure the "peak" of the sand grain is opaquely covered with paint. Over the years, as the paint wears from the "peak", you merely need to mask and recoat the nonskid sections as needed. It seems to last me about ten years per full cycle, and keeps a lot of weight from building up. Over time, my decks get battered by heavy objects being dropped or dragged, so the repairs are a necessity anyway.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 08:26   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
We did pretty much the same thing. HUGE prep job - took over a year of occasional weekends.

We rolled our non-skid with Interdeck, but we do have a molded in non-skid. We still have about 1/2 of the non-skid to go (we are waiting for cooler weather in Texas), we might use the salt shaker method - which is one technique Interlux suggests.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 08:54   #23

My cockpit floor is done with Interdeck and it is more fragile than the Perfection mixed with Intergrip, I find. This is the reason why we didn't apply Interdeck all over, two parts paint is much harder and the deck is where you work.
Old 23-08-2012, 09:11   #24
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I use an old flour sifter. It works great. Sand is awful for skid. I use Griptex. I like coarse and fine mixed.
Old 23-08-2012, 09:15   #25
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Salt shaker with the holes modified, if necessary, to accommodate the grit of silica used.

In my case, used gel coat and not 2-part LPU on decks, but I assume same principle/process would apply (Minaret can answer more authoritatively if not). We laid down a coat of gel coat, sprinkled on silica while still wet, repeated a couple of times and then topped off with a final layer of gel coat. Has held up quite well and is way easier to repair than molded in non-skid.
This is the one application where silica is ok, because it's buried under gel. I think a sprayed Griptex and gelcoat deck is the ultimate non skid.
Old 23-08-2012, 10:44   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Garage painting pro/con: out of direct sunlight and heat, allows maintaining a "wet line" easier, reduced wind-borne dust and bugs. Cons: higher fume concentration, so be careful about a gas heater pilot flame and getting loopy. I paint small projects in the garage, but nothing the size of a dinghy hull.
The 3m organic filters really help to knockdown the fumes and associated headaches.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 11:01   #27
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
The 3m organic filters really help to knockdown the fumes and associated headaches.

Not to mention the associated cancer. A respirator is a basic safety requirement. Many of these paints contain isocyanates.
Old 23-08-2012, 11:05   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The Isocyanates in two part Polyurethane paints are not filtered out by particulate masks. The only absolutely safe way to spray the paint is with separate air supply. Having said that, there doesn't seem to be much of a problem if there is good ventilation in the area being painted. Painting outside seems to be no problem and probably okay in a well ventilated shop area. I wouldn't want to paint in an enclosed room without all the precautions, however. You definitely don't want to be up close and sniffing the paint as you spray/roll it on.

Isocyanates are really nasty as they eat the liver. You've only got one and it's kind of a nice thing to have working for you.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 18:15   #29

The 2 parts Interlux Perfection should not contain these Isocyanates, it is made to be used by non-professionals as well? However, we had our share of toxins between sanding and painting, using masks is a MUST, even when rolling.
Old 23-08-2012, 21:06   #30

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I use organic vapor cartridges. But, the folks downwind get to smell the fumes, especially if the garage is connected to the house, so caution and ventilation are uppermost considerations. We are only issued one complete set of organs. Preventive maintenance works for them as well.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
polyurethane