Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2012, 22:09   #31

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: 2-part polyurethane paints

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Not to mention the associated cancer.
And birth defects.

My last cat was called "Two Headed Love Child" because of the warnings on the cans.

Quote:
A respirator is a basic safety requirement. Many of these paints contain isocyanates.
Yep, there "was" quite a reputable painter here in Brisbane who blew many a boat back in the 80's and 90's.

Respirator was a cigarette filter
No coveralls and thongs on the feet.
No prizes for guessing what got him in the end.
Old 24-08-2012, 10:05   #32
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: 2-part Polyurethane Paints

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The Isocyanates in two part Polyurethane paints are not filtered out by particulate masks.

It would be more accurate to say "The Isocyanates in LP are not COMPLETELY filtered out by a respirator". Believe me, you are getting much less exposure with a respirator on. Unless you truly mean a particulate mask, which is just a dust mask and not a respirator. But that would be crazy, since they don't filter out anything but dust, and that poorly...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 10:55   #33

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

Alright, so I should be checked for cancer shortly!

Here is the kind of information one will read after applying the paint on his deck with rollers, I opened the safety sheet for Perfection and here it is!

Select equipment to provide protection from the ingredients listed in Section 2 of this document. Ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. (We did )If you experience eye watering, headache or dizziness or if air monitoring demonstrates dust, vapor, or mist levels are above applicable limits, wear an appropriate, properly fitted respirator (NIOSH approved)during and after application. (Yes headaches after a whole day applying the paint) Follow respirator manufacturer's directions for respirator use. FOR USERS OF 3M RESPIRATORY PROTECTION ONLY: For information and assistance on 3M occupational health and safety products, call OH&ESD Technical Service toll free in U.S.A. 1−800−243−4630, in Canada call 1−800−267−4414. Please do not contact these numbers regarding other manufacturer's respiratory protection products. 3M does not endorse the accuracy of the information contained in this Material Safety Data Sheet.

This is kind of disturbing since their section 2 is so criptic that most yachties (like me) will not understand the risks associated with some of the ingredients in the Perfection. We were applying it in a very well ventilated shade where the smell of paint was minimal. Regardless, we were breathing these ingredients for one week almost every day!

If they sell poison, why don't they post it in big red letters on the label rather than hiding it on safety sheets only available on the internet!!!
Old 24-08-2012, 11:56   #34

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
...Unless you truly mean a particulate mask, which is just a dust mask and not a respirator. But that would be crazy, since they don't filter out anything but dust, and that poorly...
Yeah, I watch the guys here in Guate build launchas and work on bigger boats...usually with zero safety gear....sure is going to be rough for them later in life. I've known people doing similar work who died of COPD...not a nice way to go...best to suit up and use the right gear for the job.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 12:15   #35

Quote:
This is the one application where silica is ok, because it's buried under gel. I think a sprayed Griptex and gelcoat deck is the ultimate non skid.
Thanks for the product info. I still have a few areas to re-do, so may give the Griptex a try.

And of course there's always the next boat....
Old 24-08-2012, 12:23   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandgilbert99 View Post

If they sell poison, why don't they post it in big red letters on the label rather than hiding it on safety sheets only available on the internet!!!
There is a system that I have see used here in Central America on agricultural products and pesticides that is pretty straight forward. The containers have a green, yellow, or red band on the label. The stuff with the red band on it has probably been banned in the USA for 20 years!
Old 24-08-2012, 18:07   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

As all have stated if gel can be restored do so 1200 wet sand com[pound and fleet wax does wonders.If not Allgrip can be rolled toan almost asgood as spray finish in Dark Blue,have seen it done.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
polyurethane