Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2014, 04:22   #1

1GM10 Parts

I have a mid 90's 1GM10, runs and is now leaking oil. Perhaps rear main seal? Before I put it on the bench I wanted to find out if there is a reliable parts source? Yanmar quit manufacturing the engine five or six years ago and is not offering much help. There seems to be a British and/or French company that has some seals, filters and I believe a head. I would like to think I could open up a 20 plus year old engine which has been cooled with raw salt water and find everything just "Peachy", just in case that's not the case, where can you go??
Should it get really ugly, has anyone some advice on a refit that comes close?
Builderdood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 07:06   #2

Re: 1GM10 Parts

Where are you located? I have a 1GM10 also. Here, in the U.S., everything is available for a major or minor rebuild. The biggest aggravation about owning a Yanmar here is they have parts sales territories - I can't buy a part I need from just any of their dealers - it has to come from one in my "area". Unfortunately, my area doesn't have a strong dealer network. Genuine parts show up on eBay from time to time. If yours only needs a seal, any competent industrial supplier should be able to match it up. It won't say Yanmar, but I strongly suspect they buy theirs from someone else also. Any competent machine shop should be able to do any machining required of rebuilding. They're about as simple as diesels come. One common problem area is corrosion in the exhaust elbow.Hope this helps.

Ken
chippyskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 09:21   #3

Boat: Bayfield 29 Cutter - Rumiko

I was able to get all I needed from Boatswain's Locker in Costa Mesa, CA. They were pleasant to deal with. And that was for a much older engine (YSM 12).
Boatswain's Locker

Dan
rumiko dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 12:27   #4

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Boatswains Locker is the west coast Yanmar distributer just like Mastry and Mack Boring cover the east coast. They may be able to sell throughout the west coast but I don't think they can sell to the east coast.

So try one of the east coast distributers if that is where you are located.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 20:26   #5

This helps a ton.. I live in Central America and have friends that I can ship parts to that can relay them down to me. I was just a little worried about opening her up and not being able to find parts.

Thank you all,

Don
Builderdood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 18:14   #6

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

Before you get too carried away check the external oil line that runs under the motor. It rust thru!!

Regards Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1gm10, parts