Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 08:13   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR
1979 Catalina 30 Question

I will be dropping my mast here soon when we get back down to Puerto Vallarta. I'm hauling the boat out to do some work one of which is taking the mast down to fix drooping deck and replace top head and all wiring, antenna, lights, painting. I've got all the info from different sources regarding removing, fixing deck area. No problems there. The question is can someone tell me where the wiring goes once on deck level. I've looked all over inside the boat and can see the antenna wire right near the top of the compression post which is covered with teak. I see no other wiring or any terminal block areas. Not sure which way Catalina ran them or how. Hidden someplace. My thought was once mast is lifted then I will just cut the wiring, antenna as I'm putting all new in. Which brings up another question. When I ordered new antenna wiring it was half the size of the original. The old stuff is probably 1/2in thick where the new one is maybe 1/4in. I know there are different size cables and this old stuff is original. Am I better to keep the old one adding new connectors or go to the newer stuff. Right now the reception is next to nothing. Assuming connections at top are bad. Have new antenna and as the mast will be down thought replace it all. I was going to put new terminal block inside boat at top of post for new wiring should you need to drop it again and remove it'll be easy to disconnect wires. I could take teak cover off the post but it's so nicely finished I don't really want to disturb it. It's possible the wires are right there once I do remove it. Nothing comes out at the base of the post or at least can't see anything. Nothing in bilge area also. Where did Catalina hide this all.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 16:48   #2

Boat: Catalina 387
Re: 1979 Catalina 30 Question

All the light wiring in mine is embedded in the deck. Then it pops out the deck and goes to a connector that's inside the mast. It comes out of the deck behind the galley and runs under the liner to the panel.

The VHF? Gee, I don't actually know. I'll look at that tomorrow when I get down to the boat.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 17:26   #3

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR
Re: 1979 Catalina 30 Question

Yes. The new antenna cable I got was the smaller one, RG-8 I believe. The original one on the boat is almost twice the width. Nice to know where the wiring/connecters are at. So I guess these are only accessible when the mast is lifted. This is probably fine. I'm not sure if I should be replacing the older antenna cable. Seems to be a heavy duty one. Although it is 36 years old.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30