Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2010, 18:12   #1

Unhappy 1977 Islander 30 MK II Project Boat

Hi.

I have the listed project going. the boat has been wrecked a couple of times before I got it.
here are my problem areas:

1 - Is there a manual for it.

2 - I have a water tank but the only way to fill is to unbolt the cover to the tank under the bow cushions. Where was the original fill?

3 - Someone removed the head and put in a prota potty. I still have the holding tank and discharge. Any ideas on if I should replace the head. Was there a pumpout for the tank.

4 - Was the original transducer a thru hull or shoot thru the hull?

5 - What looks like a transducer and plumbing cap are in the hull between the head and the sink. Am I right about the transducer and is the other a thru hull and whats it's purpose.

6 - The HIN is gone. is there a hidden HIN? Where do I reengrave the HIN from my title.
BrunoFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 19:12   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Hey Bruno!
It looks like you stepped in deep.

1) Not likely, but go here Islander - SailNet Community
2) A lot of smaller boats fill from inside the cabin.
3)The old head may not have passed the new USCG regs so a porta potty would disqualify the new systems. It's a three in one system No overboard discharge.
4)Could have been either, depends on the manufacturer.
5) Some transducers are removable and have plugs to install in their place.
6)Some boats up to 1980 did not have HIN's until the USCG got on their ass after the reg's in 1976. Look on the inside of the hull back by the transom sometimes the numbers were painted on.
Old 21-01-2010, 19:20   #3

Mate,you are in trouble.I dont know about the hull number,but the rest of that stuff you should be able to figure out just by properly examining it.You should study your local sanitation rules before you instal a head.IMO the original manual wouldnt help much.It might tell how things are suposed to be but you have a boat with a ground off hull number so things aint going to be like the manual says.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote