Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 10:48   #1

1972 Christ Craft Constellation

Hey Folks,
the lady and I are looking to move aboard a motoryacht sometime in the near future. On a whim we went to look at a 1972 Constellation (42') and fell in love with it. However, it's in desperate need of repair. We've been told the engines are "Good", and the hull just needs a painting/sanding. I was hoping to inquire what you all thought? I realize this is a lot of work, and we're budgeting about 10k USD to refinish the interior, add a fridge and stove/oven, etc. What's your thoughts?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hv06dqirx...9nUa32/BadWolf
KyleYankan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:52   #2

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: 1972 Christ Craft Constellation

I'd make certain that you have a surveyor with experience with wooden hulls give you an evaluation of soundness and hull condition. I would also have a qualified mechanic certified in either gas or deilsel check out the engines, transmissions and stuffing box set up thoroughly as well. If you have budgeted $10k for interior refurbishment, you may well be in for 4X that amount if the hull and drivetrain are in need of work... tread carefully, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:50   #3

Boat: PETERSON 44
Run like you never ran before. Love your wife look fir a boat. This probably isn't going to do what you want. That is my reaction not knowing which one your looking at. I have worked on chris crap Connie's before. Gut reaction, save your time and money. A) Why do you want a boat? B) Will this boat meet your needs/dreams of boating. C) Are you being delusional? Check those and if you answer like this. Go for it.
.A) Wish I could travel on the water but I am okay throwing away pieces of what I just bought.
B) I'm good with actually not boating and getting real dirty while throwing money away.
C )you don't care you love the boat while other people in tents are doing less work and happier.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 13:10   #4

Is it free?
Fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:48   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

If it is gasoline powered it is not safe to live on, IMO. Run, go quickly. Run away anyway. I'm betting it would cost $100,000. at least to refit, if you do most of the work yourself.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 16:10   #6

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
Is it free?
Even free is seldom worth the price -- it's TOO EXPENSIVE!!!

And Kyle, unless you love working on a wooden boat or have the financial resources to pay someone to do so for you, this is definitely not the boat for you and your bride. So, what do you want? Do you wish to repair years of neglect or live aboard and/or cruise?

As an aside, you might consider during boat shopping that very few wooden or steel boats can be brought back to life after serious neglect without abundant resources of time or money....
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote