Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2012, 09:54   #1

Boat: 1971 Cal 39 TM
1971 Cal 39 Compression Beam Replacement

I am restoring 1971 Cal 39. It is a beautiful legendary ocean racer and I am hoping it will make a fast, comfortable cruiser for me. I am sure many of you will be interested to see her and I will be posting some pictures and updates on the progress. Its more about the process than the cost.

At this time I am looking for any information on the compression beam, the thing doesn't look pretty and I would like to have a replaced. I found some info on Cal 28. the guy in my marina did replace it on his Cal 29. Was able to find a drawings for Cal 40 (beam is different and cant' be used for 39) but I can't find anything for Cal 39.

Thank you.
sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 13:01   #2

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Re: 1971 Cal 39 Compression Beam Replacement

Hello,

I am sorry I dont have any info for you, but I do need some info from you. How did you inspect your beam. I currently have a Cal 29 that requires a bore scope to inspect the beam.

I just sailed my 29 from LA to San Carlos last year (what a blast) I did decide that I would like a bigger boat though.... so I am looking at purchasing a Cal 39 sometime early next year.

I would assume though that If you can get the beam out in one piece, any fabrication shope should be able to build you a new one out of stainless.
helmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 19:59   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Go here >> Cal - SailboatOwners.com you'll find lots of threads on mast step or compression post.
Old 01-11-2012, 00:32   #4

I own a Cal 2-29. I had to replace the beam under the main bulkhead on mine. I made a new one out of stainless steel. To remove it you must remove the main bulkhead, cut the floor pan at the center of the hump, remove the floor pan in the head area and pry out the old beam ( crescent shaped ). The flaw is that the original is made from carbon steel and has the drain from the ice chest locker draining onto the beam. Mine was rusted almost 25 percent away. The removal to these items is best done with a dremel tool. It was not an easy job and can not be done unless in a boatyard. Usually you will be replacing the bulkhead as well. You can see the beam through the hole that the through hull valve for the head fits through the head (marine toilet) support platform. With the through hull removed, you can actually reach this beam with your hand. This access hole is big enough to see the end of the beam.
rgmori is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, compression