Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 20:47   #1
kta

Boat: Cal 2-27
1962 Atkin Eric Project Wooden Boat - More than I can chew?

Hi All.

Long time reader, first time poster!

An Atkin Eric 32' Ketch recently came up locally. I have owned and refurbished fiberglass sailboats so am familiar with common maintenance and repairs. However, I have no tangible experience working on a wooden sailboat. I find the Atkin boats to be very beautiful, and by most accounts they are highly robust.

The boat is free provided the new owner revives it. It is on the dry in a DIY yard and the current owner has already made several repairs. It still needs some wood replaced and a handful of other items. The interior of the boat is in fantastic shape, as is a lot of the deck and rigging. I'm curious if some of the more experienced builders could take a look at the pictures and give me some thoughts.

I'm not sure it's the right boat for me. I do love a project and am very comfortable with the prospect of needing to master new trades. Can anyone here give me an honest assessment of the level of difficulty I will be facing if I was to consider this project? The labor doesn't frighten me, but the cost of tools to do the job right is a concern. As are the volume of materials needed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Just for the h*ll of it I think I'll go pick up some books on wooden boat building to familiarize myself with the processes.

Thanks!

kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:45   #2

Boat: seawind II Patience
Really pretty boat.LOT of work there,steam bent ribs looks like to me.Not a fan of steam bent ck mant crack with age.If rest of ribs of does not look like a big job.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:50   #3

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
Where is she located, ft pierce, Fl by any chance?
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 14:18   #4

Re: 1962 Atkin Eric Project Wooden Boat - More than I can chew?

Hi! I live in England and a friend who has seen the boat pictures wonders if the boat is still available. If it is available the man wonders whether the boat could be fitted into a shipping container and shipped. An old colleague "Captain Bligh" is a genius at doing this as he gets special cradles built that tilt the boat over so that it fits. Last year he shipped a thirty foot catamaran to New Zealand after the boat's owner just couldn't face sailing back to NZ from the Caribbean. Two cradles had to be built that fitted the two hulls into one container although one hull had to go in upside down. Just where Captain Bligh is at the moment I don't know as he always seems to keep moving around the Caribbean as his tourist visas expire! (As he says "If you are still there when your Visa expires you become an Illegal Immigrant which makes you a criminal!")

Anyhow Robert who is a good carpenter is quite keen on the Eric 32 as he knows the model well. There is actually an unfinished Eric 32 for sale at Cardiff Marina that was built by two brothers. They spent most of their lives building it but one brother died then the other brother got too old and tired to complete the boat. It is fairly complete but rain-water keeps running out of the joint between the iron keel and the hull. This does not bode well for the boat staying afloat!

The Robin Knox Johnson Eric 32 which was built in India is probably one of the best examples as she was built from Indian Ironwood (some kind of very hard Teak which is unpalatable to worms?) Allegedly six Indian shipwrights spent a year building her and allegedly the planks were keyed together with "biscuits". Most Eric 32s seem to be built from Mahogany however and some versions have thinner planks and thinner timbers than others presumably to save costs in countries where wood is expensive.
Davey1000 is offline   Reply With Quote