Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2016, 05:07   #91

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978
Re: YSE8 shattered valve spring! Help?

I think those bolts may be the same thread size, I was referring to the hole that pierces the bolt shank. One hole was larger than the other, so I did not even attempt to place them in different locations, I put the one flowing larger volume with the larger line. Perhaps that is more clear.
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 16:46   #92
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Ahh sorry thought the ones on my injector were different thread size. You did the right thing anyway as the return line only flows a small amount.BTW yr lift pump ( mechanical fuel pump) may have a little lever on the bottom if you pump that up & down you can see if the pump is working if you take outlet hose off altho I must warn you that our priming lever doesnt work but the pump does!. The lift pump drives off a cam on the PTO shaft on the YSM8, probly same on yr YSB but cant swear to it Hope yr recovery going well & you can get back to the mission soon
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 17:35   #93
Marine Service Provider

Sailing fan finally got to open yr photos from page 6 of the thread & I'm really puzzled as the YSB8 & YSM8 are horizontal cylinders & yrs is vertical??? I have a YSB8 block at home for parts & its a bit different from yrs. I can recognize yr engine mounted fuel filter & lift pump look the same as does the air intake pipe. Maybe you should show a dealer the pictures & see if he can identify it.
I've tried to attach a picture of our YSM8 to show you
Old 08-09-2016, 17:41   #94
Marine Service Provider

Hope the pic is attached but I'm a puter dummy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01615.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	130867  
Old 08-09-2016, 20:41   #95

Compass, the nameplate on the starboard side of the block clearly says "SB8" and "YANMAR" so I am assuming that means "Y(anmar)SB8" and that and other photos online (plus one another member posted in this thread that looked exactly like mine, other than all the rust on mine) convinced me that the SB8 is the YSB8. Am I incorrect?
Old 08-09-2016, 22:24   #96
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post
Compass, the nameplate on the starboard side of the block clearly says "SB8" and "YANMAR" so I am assuming that means "Y(anmar)SB8" and that and other photos online (plus one another member posted in this thread that looked exactly like mine, other than all the rust on mine) convinced me that the SB8 is the YSB8. Am I incorrect?
Hi Sailor fan,Well I'm not sure of anything anymore but if you google YSB8 & SB8 images you will get 2 different things (mostly!) All I can be sure of is the previous YSB8 engines I have seen are definitely horizontal cylinder & yours is clearly vertical. I suspect Yanmar SB8's never got imported into NZ so I'm not familiar with them.My guess is they are 2 different beasts ( probably sharing some parts) but maybe someone can weigh in on that or the dealer can tell you. Dont get put off by the 2 alternators in the image I sent u of YSM 8 the one on the side of the block is the original.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:52   #97
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post
Definitely the YSB8 & the SB8 are 2 different engines after a but both have the same bore&stroke also they are the same rated horsepower at the same revs.
Old 14-09-2016, 21:23   #98

OK, back from surgery. Yikes, it smarts! Docs told me not to lift anything over 5 pounds for 2 weeks, nothing over 10 lbs until after 4 weeks, and then that at the end of those 4 total weeks I should be at about 85% healed. That does not bode well because I regularly lifted over 150 lbs barely three years ago, and over 50 pounds the week before surgery. I am hoping they are just being overly cautious...

Anyway, back to the thread.

The engine is a Yanmar, and the plate says "SB8" so I have to stick with that. I am saddened somewhat that nobody reading the thread has had or currently has an SB8 because that means (to me) that parts are going to be a bit hit and miss for availability or possibly even identification.

I did manage to score (and currently have on the table before me) an SB12 oil-pan, and it appears identical to the rotten one currently affixed to the mounted engine (too bad I already had put new oil in that one). I will have to drain the oil again, this time save it in a container that will be reused, pull the original (to me) pan to see if it will fit, then install it (if fit is acceptable) and refill after the new pan is installed. With any luck at all, I won't have to replace the 2 quarts of new oil as well.

I felt pretty lucky to locate this other pan so easily, it was the only one on eBay (but it WAS there) and though I thought it was expensive (over 50 USD for cost before shipping) I somehow believe that from the factory it will cost a steep bit more even yet. This one has grey paint on it, but should be perfectly adequate after a thorough cleaning, polishing, and external paint job. At least all the bolts will have real holes for mounting!
Old 16-09-2016, 12:30   #99
Marine Service Provider

Wishing you a speedy recovery,
Here is a link to explain about your engine identification: Yanmar Marine Engine Identification Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts

Think you did the right thing buying the expensive oil pan as it would be a PIA if the other leaked.
Old 29-10-2016, 23:31   #100

Ok, the new white glossy paint on the new oilpan is ready for the thing to be installed. We applied three or four coats, just to be sure, it sure is shiny! If it does somehow leak, we will KNOW it is doing it because the oil is definitely going to show if that happens!

I am going to be heading to the yard in the next few days to install the new pan, plus some other items (the copper washers on the fuel lines, for instance). Hope all goes well!

BTW, for those who sent good wishes or prayers, the tumor on my kidney turned out to be benign, and not cancerous. They did remove a little less than about half the kidney to have material to study in pathology, but I am internally healing very rapidly now, and externally I am all but done. Have some odd scars, and my stomach has some dents in the tissue, but it no longer hurts! Now to rebuild abdominal muscle... Crunches... Fun..

That and getting in to replace petcocks, through-hulls, engine mount supports, twisting, turning, etc., inside this hull...