Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-08-2016, 00:32   #16

Re: YSE8 shattered valve spring! Help?

Easy way to change valve springs without removing Head is remove Injector then feed light cordage into cylinder space. Much easier than using a compressed air system.

Old 17-08-2016, 04:16   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
YSE8 shattered valve spring! Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey doug View Post
Easy way to change valve springs without removing Head is remove Injector then feed light cordage into cylinder space. Much easier than using a compressed air system.

Lycoming aircraft engines has a service bulletin detailing that procedure if anyone is interested, but I would have to pull the head just to ensure nothing else is wrong, lap the valves etc.
Lycoming SB link

http://www.lycoming.com/Portals/0/te...20Sticking.pdf

On an aircraft engine, the head and cylinder are essentially one piece, you can't pull the head, have to pull the "jug"

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 17-08-2016, 08:00   #18
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

You would need to know what kind of combustion chamber you have. A Perkins for example has 2 chambers connected by a very small hole. You could never get a piece of rope through that small hole into the piston and valve area.
Old 17-08-2016, 08:29   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I too would be pulling the head, cleaning and inspecting things, have the head tested and rebuilt if necessary. Cant cost much on a one cyl head.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 08:32   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You would need to know what kind of combustion chamber you have. A Perkins for example has 2 chambers connected by a very small hole. You could never get a piece of rope through that small hole into the piston and valve area.
Yes, if it's not a DI engine and has a pre-combustion chamber, you'll maybe get an inch in
But really, a head is not hard to pull, I would think real easy if a vertical single? Only way to know for sure is to pull the head and you get a real good idea as to cylinder wear when you can look at it.
Old 17-08-2016, 08:39   #21

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey doug View Post
Na you couldnt do that sadly on those YS8 series yanmars as they have a pre-combustion chamber. Nice idea otherwise, will file it in the memory bank & then be unable to retrieve it when its needed
Old 17-08-2016, 08:43   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would think you could have that head off in the time it takes to fool around with air etc....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 09:13   #23

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I notice from the other thread you are in Palatka, Florida correct?

If so calling St. Pete won't help either, if you are outside their territory.

Looks like the two closest Yanmar dealers to you are Davidson's Marine in Green Cove Springs, and First Mate Yacht in St. Augustine Beach.

I think you are going to have to develop a face to face relationship with a dealer near you.
Old 17-08-2016, 09:15   #24

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

If this spring broke while engine was running it may have beaten the piston head silly . Now is the time to pull the head and check things. Proper valve job, check piston movement (side to side) for bore wear and lip at top of piston travel if big hours.New gaskets This is basic stuff and a basic engine ,a good learning experience. If you can pull into your driveway to re straighten a push rod again ,enjoy the savings
Old 17-08-2016, 10:55   #25

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
I feel your pain! Same thing happened to me with pushrod on YSM8. My solution ( suggested by my 87yr old father who still does sailboat races :-) was to get a small powerful magnet & put a length of heatshrink on the end & feed it down the hole that the pushrod went down & it picked it up. You can also get magnets on a telescoping rod. YSM8 doesnt have a sump pan. Pushrods are easy to hammer straight, bent one of those as well squirting engine oil in the air intake to get compression up but its done 75 hrs since I hammered it straight ( only a slight bend). I've reused my head gasket 2x using Loctite 515 flange sealant. If you want aftermarket parts PM me. I hope you havent got a junked piston coz they are eye-wateringly expensive from the Yanmar mafia if you must have genuine.Done most mechanical stuff on our YSM8 which is pretty close to your YSE8 so can answer most questions you may have
Thanks! I have seen that the piston is over $350, I sure hope the head is not caved from a valve... Yikes.. Is it the case that there are many aftermarket parts for this engine? I really hate to have to order everything from a Yanmar Dealer at top price and wait for a week or more while paying exorbitant shipping to boot (and I surely don't want to have to go without if the dealer channels run out of something for this engine that has not been made in over 30 years).

I really would like to build a spares kit at some point, for things that are typically at risk, pushrods, valves, keepers, springs, any problematic gaskets, water pump impeller, etc., but I am told Yanmar never created a rebuild kit (which is what I REALLY do want, as I am about to tear this engine down in a few days and am concerned about if I find worn things here or there). I can tear it down farther if I know that I can get bearings, seals, etc., and it will make me more comfortable to know that I can reassemble it with proper tolerances (weak links created when installing new parts elsewhere, such as these springs, etc..).

I have located a dealer in Green Cove Springs, FL (near me, sorta) who can order the springs in (talked to him late yesterday evening) and they are about 4 bucks and change apiece. We discussed the engine, and he tells me that aside from this sort of issue, the engines are "bulletproof" (not the first time I have heard that adjective in relation to this engine).

He told me to tear it down, inventory what is needed, and then come to him with a list. That way the exorbitant shipping cost is not applied to each part as he has to order it in.

I would definitely like to know what sorts of aftermarket options are out there, because the springs at even $5 each, plus the $16 shipping to him, plus the gas to get to him (maybe $20), and then the additional order fees, and then multiplying things by additional parts (say, pushrod, tappets, injector pieces, etc.) will get costly in a hurry, if I need all that.

I am still hoping for the loss of compression caused by the open valve halted the engine!

Still, if I need more parts, you will be the first call!

I already replaced the starter and alternator (starter was literally gone, ie. missing, and the alternator was corroded to the point of wire absence at key contact points internally, and was little more than a poor anchor for the dingy).

The GCS dealer told me the repower for this vessel is a 20HP engine that uses a 100 amp alternator for all the 12V goodies that cruisers want, but we laughed and discussed how it would never be a recovered or even amortized cost, as it is about $6,000 for that engine. The boat just is not worth the expense. I could purchase a larger hole in the water for that, and apply my efforts at that one instead of this one.

Not that a 20 HP would get this ~7200 lb dry weight sailboat above hull speed but would likely shove the stem underwater instead, in my truly unqualified opinion. Perhaps loading would change that, but I don't know that this hull could plane, and I don't know that my kicker mount would survive the encounter with a 20 HP outboard, either.

Still a larger inboard could perhaps lope along at mid idle for better fuel economy and less wear? Regardless, I am not doing that. If the inboard dies and I cannot effect major repairs for $250 or replace it for under a boat unit, the engine space is going to become a fuel and spares locker for perhaps a larger than 8 HP outboard (or maybe for the same 8 HP I currently own).

It is a sailboat for heavens sakes... Hey, that would be a great place to store... SAILS!!
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 11:06   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmast View Post
If this spring broke while engine was running it may have beaten the piston head silly . Now is the time to pull the head and check things. Proper valve job, check piston movement (side to side) for bore wear and lip at top of piston travel if big hours.New gaskets This is basic stuff and a basic engine ,a good learning experience. If you can pull into your driveway to re straighten a push rod again ,enjoy the savings
Sadly, I have to pull the head while the engine is installed, or pull the engine while the boat is in the yard or on the water-no trailer...

Still, I don't think it will be a mechanically difficult job, there are hardly any parts to this engine. It is nothing like a V6 cylinder head in a Ford Aerostar with rusted exhaust manifold bolts (now THAT was a pain in the butt head to pull, rebuild, and reinstall in the driveway). After that monstrosity removed and installed at arms length, this SURELY must be a cakewalk. The problem is not going to be the work, it is going to be acquiring parts. Still, Davidson is exactly who I am dealing with at the moment, unless I can locate aftermarket parts to handle this job that can be gotten to me for substantially less than Yanmar is charging. The aftermarket fellow is going to be my new best friend because of Yanmar's pricing and especially shipping policies, I get the feeling... $16 shipping + extra fees to ship a $4 spring (a week after it is ordered) is ludicrous, in my humble opinion.

Regardless, tomorrow I move the boat, the next day I pull her onto dry land, and the mast repairs, hull scraping, and engine work begin in earnest.
Old 17-08-2016, 14:08   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27

Good luck with aftermarket parts. Some parts are no longer available for that engine. It is also very under powered for a 27' boat. Ok in flat water but with a chop or headwind very slow.

I'm swapping mine out for a 17 hp Sole.
Old 17-08-2016, 15:49   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate

You know, maybe this thread should be a sticky, so that we can refer to it when folks start rhapsodizing about the wonders of Yanmar auxiliaries. The engines are ok,but their after sales policies are so rapacious that I personally would not want one. I really like buying Kubota parts at the tractor store!

Jim
Old 17-08-2016, 23:14   #29

Jim, I have to agree with you! The possibility of using another engine, preferably of higher horsepower, in this vessel is very attractive to me, but I cannot shell out the 6 grand for a larger Yanmar.

I wonder if there is another brand I can get that can be used in the application, within the space allocated, diesel fueled, with readily available parts, and that costs far less than 6 grand.

I can install it myself from a crate, I just cannot see spending that on a boat this old for an engine that would rarely see use in the normal direction of my day. After all, the sailboat length outboard will give some direction even with no engine inboard at all... I just dislike using the outboard if there is possibility of using an inboard that won't have the cavitation issues and gasoline appetite. Heck, I have seen remanufactured Yanmars of the 8 HP variety on ebay for a hair over a grand lately.

If I was going to spend that much, I would rather do it on a larger boat or get a used engine of another brand that I could rebuild using locally available parts. What a pain...
Old 17-08-2016, 23:16   #30

Heck, what do the Kubotas cost??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: