Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 16:33   #31
Moderator
 
Boracay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pelican Bay, Great Sandy National Park
Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Posts: 5,175
Images: 18
Fixing old engines...

My experience has been that we need to be very realistic about the age and condition of diesel engines.

Many are over 20 years old, rarely used, have been run at idle for long periods, are long out of production and have been neglected in a salt water environment all that time. With some mechanics charging over $100ph and major parts costing multiple boat bucks it's just not economically feasible to fix them.

I'd imagine a mechanic's worst nightmare would be to be looking at an old, tired engine with an obscure fault and a poor owner while knowing a wealthy powerboat owner is on the way over with a new engine to service...
__________________

__________________
Rust never sleeps
Boracay Blog.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 22:10   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane
Boat: deboated
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
My experience has been that we need to be very realistic about the age and condition of diesel engines.

Many are over 20 years old, rarely used, have been run at idle for long periods, are long out of production and have been neglected in a salt water environment all that time. With some mechanics charging over $100ph and major parts costing multiple boat bucks it's just not economically feasible to fix them.

I'd imagine a mechanic's worst nightmare would be to be looking at an old, tired engine with an obscure fault and a poor owner while knowing a wealthy powerboat owner is on the way over with a new engine to service...
Yes especially when you can see a multitude of problems he does not want fixed. When those faults start to fail he will say "bloody mechanic I had him here last week know I have all these other problems".
__________________

__________________
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 23:04   #33
Registered User
 
SvenG's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mexico heading South
Boat: Ericson 39B - Senta II
Posts: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
Yes especially when you can see a multitude of problems he does not want fixed. When those faults start to fail he will say "bloody mechanic I had him here last week know I have all these other problems".
While working on old engines in unserviceable installations is indeed a pain, it would seem a lot more professional to decline to take the job rather than to punish the owner (if that is indeed the intent).



-Sven
__________________
Senta II - http://www.Grenander.com/Senta_II/Blog/Blog.html
1977 Ericson 39B -- Hull # 216
SvenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 00:22   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane
Boat: deboated
Posts: 672
Punish the owner really you must explain more I am enthralled by your logic.
__________________
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 00:36   #35
Moderator
 
Boracay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pelican Bay, Great Sandy National Park
Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Posts: 5,175
Images: 18
Pulling the plug...

Pulling the plug on an old engine is not an easy decision. In many cases the owner won't have the money available for a "repair" that will be a substantial proportion of the boat's value.

I'm not sure it's fair to ask a mechanic to make that call.

As owners we need to have the resources to maintain our boats. It's a calculation that needs to be made before the boat is brought, and after we need to set aside sufficient funds to keep the boat in good order.
__________________
Rust never sleeps
Boracay Blog.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:09   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane
Boat: deboated
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Pulling the plug on an old engine is not an easy decision. In many cases the owner won't have the money available for a "repair" that will be a substantial proportion of the boat's value.

I'm not sure it's fair to ask a mechanic to make that call.

As owners we need to have the resources to maintain our boats. It's a calculation that needs to be made before the boat is brought, and after we need to set aside sufficient funds to keep the boat in good order.
Too much common sense and logic there.
__________________
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:13   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane
Boat: deboated
Posts: 672
You could just imagine the mechanic informing the owner that due to the poor condition of the boat he will not take the job on. Owner would then run the mechanic down as arrogant and rubbished his boat.
__________________
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:56   #38
Registered User
 
SvenG's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mexico heading South
Boat: Ericson 39B - Senta II
Posts: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
You could just imagine the mechanic informing the owner that due to the poor condition of the boat he will not take the job on. Owner would then run the mechanic down as arrogant and rubbished his boat.
Wow.

So, if I have a perfectly running older, low hour, engine that I want to have serviced to keep it in good tune and to let me know if there are any issues, then I should expect the mechanic to do severe collateral damage because he didn't have the guts to turn down a job he didn't want ?

I must put the boat on the market right away as even a refit would not cure the access problem !



-Sven
__________________
Senta II - http://www.Grenander.com/Senta_II/Blog/Blog.html
1977 Ericson 39B -- Hull # 216
SvenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:12   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ontario canada
Boat: grampian 26
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Wow.

So, if I have a perfectly running older, low hour, engine that I want to have serviced to keep it in good tune and to let me know if there are any issues, then I should expect the mechanic to do severe collateral damage because he didn't have the guts to turn down a job he didn't want ?

I must put the boat on the market right away as even a refit would not cure the access problem !



-Sven
You are asking an awful lot of your mechanic. You expect him to be clairvoyant and have x-ray vision. I don't know of any one who can predict potential problems with an engine by examining the outside.Short of tearing the engine down and measuring to check that all is within its wear limits there is no reliable way of knowing the life left in the old beast. If you can't afford a decent mechanic you had best learn to diy.
__________________
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:21   #40
Registered User
 
SvenG's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mexico heading South
Boat: Ericson 39B - Senta II
Posts: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
You are asking an awful lot of your mechanic. You expect him to be clairvoyant and have x-ray vision. I don't know of any one who can predict potential problems with an engine by examining the outside.Short of tearing the engine down and measuring to check that all is within its wear limits there is no reliable way of knowing the life left in the old beast.
Then I'd expect the mechanic to tell me that. Maybe suggest an oil test and do it.

Quote:
If you can't afford a decent mechanic you had best learn to diy.
Not sure where that comment fits into the discussion ?



-Sven
__________________
Senta II - http://www.Grenander.com/Senta_II/Blog/Blog.html
1977 Ericson 39B -- Hull # 216
SvenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 13:50   #41
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Then I'd expect the mechanic to tell me that. Maybe suggest an oil test and do it.

-Sven
I've long advocated AGAINST random spot checking with oil analysis. The results if not plotted over time will scare the average uninformed owner.
__________________
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 14:56   #42
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane
Boat: deboated
Posts: 672
Sven you seem to be on a mission & I am having a real problem following your reasoning. But what seems clear is any mechanic working for you would find the job very stressfull. I doubt that any mechanic will satisfy your requirements.

PS. I think that most who read my earlier post when I used the words poor condition of the boat would have known I was referrring to the engine as that is the thread topic.
__________________
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 15:05   #43
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,203
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

I'm NOT a mechanic... but short of major breakdowns I've managed to fix a variety of problems from exhaust explosion, cooling blockages in head/system, leaking fuel/cooling, blocked filters/injectors, thermostats, impellers, pumps, dirty/water logged fuel, charging etc... all it takes is a w/shop manual, patience and common sense...
The mechanics for when the engines blown and needs a rebuild..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 15:13   #44
Registered User
 
SvenG's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mexico heading South
Boat: Ericson 39B - Senta II
Posts: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
Sven you seem to be on a mission & I am having a real problem following your reasoning. But what seems clear is any mechanic working for you would find the job very stressfull. I doubt that any mechanic will satisfy your requirements.
Boy, you couldn't be more wrong. The mechanics who did all the collateral damages don't even know that we haven't called them back because we were dissatisfied. We paid up in full and left it at that. We won't tell anyone to avoid them unless specifically asked by name, but we also won't recomend them.

You may think it is ok to do repeated actual damage while doing basic service, that's your prerogative. I chose not to do business with such "professionals" again.

As for being on a mission, that part you do have right, a mission to figure out how to get good diesel service when word of mouth has such a spotty record in our experience. The other stories I related were from other owners when we were asking if they were happy with their mechanics since we were trying to find someone dependable and skilled.

This thread has been a real eye opener.



-Sven
__________________
Senta II - http://www.Grenander.com/Senta_II/Blog/Blog.html
1977 Ericson 39B -- Hull # 216
SvenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 15:16   #45
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane
Boat: deboated
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm NOT a mechanic... but short of major breakdowns I've managed to fix a variety of problems from exhaust explosion, cooling blockages in head/system, leaking fuel/cooling, blocked filters/injectors, thermostats, impellers, pumps, dirty/water logged fuel, charging etc... all it takes is a w/shop manual, patience and common sense...
The mechanics for when the engines blown and needs a rebuild..
Yes I agree to a point but like anything some have a natural talent for mechanical jobs others do not. Years of experience in any trade will short circuit most jobs. Knowing what will work what wont work and spotting future failures are unlikely to be found in a workshop manual.
__________________

__________________
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mechanic

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need marine diesel mechanic San Fran Bay area windsaloft Engines and Propulsion Systems 3 05-04-2012 22:46
Becoming a Diesel Mechanic allardr Engines and Propulsion Systems 19 22-09-2011 22:06
Diesel Mechanic in Ft. Pierce, FL? Cheechako Engines and Propulsion Systems 2 03-03-2010 07:24
Marine Diesel Mechanic Needed chicago sailor Forum Tech Support & Site Help 0 23-05-2006 13:52



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:28.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.