Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2017, 12:38   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Your Diesel Stall Troubleshooting

First, I know there is a lot online and in books on the subject, but as usual I prefer to hear personal accounts and practice

Question one: Can you tell when your engine is about to stall, and can you hear/feel what might be the problem as soon as it happens?

Question Two (Trouble shooting): How do you go about finding and fixing the (usually or most likely) problem(s)? Ever had an engine stall for no apparent reason and just crank back up and be fine?

Question Three (Situational): Any tips/stories on boat handling during the potentially disastrous moments going from engine to none?... like get sails up or check charts to find a place to anchor... some of these may seem pretty obvious.

Engine stall has happen to me a handful of times over the years and ever time I slightly panic. So far I've had.... Run out of fuel because I didn't switch tanks in time, clogged primary fuel filter(s) from a rough sail, fouled prop by a line or net, And once there was no real sign of a problem. This last time was entering Pago Pago. I was entering at night so I had all my lights on even some I rarely use... I went up to drop the main and came back everything was dead. Engine stalled and killed my batteries. A small convenient breeze carried me down to the anchorage and I dropped the hook near the marina. Later when I had a barge in the battery for a start, took a few days with no sun for solar, the engine cranked, but had a little trouble for about a 30 seconds and then ran smooth. It seems to run a little quieter now but I can tell. I've run it for about 200 miles now and no problems. I'm currently motor-sailing from Suva to Lautoka and all is well.

Thanks for sharing
theway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel