Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2015, 09:50   #61

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Yanmer Turns Over Won't Fire

I have a new-in-factory-package YSB-12 valve cover gasket from my last boat for sale. I could let this go cheap if you need to tear everything down. Please advise. I also sell crying towels and beer. At this point it's medicinal for you.

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:00   #62

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Yanmer Turns Over Won't Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I have a new-in-factory-package YSB-12 valve cover gasket from my last boat for sale. I could let this go cheap if you need to tear everything down. Please advise. I also sell crying towels and beer. At this point it's medicinal for you.

Medicinal beer for you too?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:44   #63
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Sorry for thread drift, but this is related and maybe useful to the op. My boat has an ole Nissan marinized cd17 diesel. Two helms and hence two ignitions. Fires no problem from cockpit by just giving some revs and turning the key. Impossible to start from inside, although the throttle works after start. When I turn the key inside the engine cranks without problem, but won't fire up. It has an electric diesel pump. Is this supposed to pump all the time or just during start? My hunch is that the problem is related to this electric pu. I.e. the inside ignition does not engage the pump. Are there other possible causes that anyone can think of?
When it was marinized, how was the fuel shut function handled, I.e. do you have a mechnical stop cable or is it electric?

If electric, the key switch below might not have connected to the engine stop solenoid. The stop solenoid is usually energized by the start switch and has to remain energised for the engine to run.

Maybe the switch below was put there just to aid tuning the engine over during maintenance or somesuch and was never wired to the stop solenoid.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 22:35   #64

Boat: Sandibar 35

Cheechako & Wotname, thanks for the suggestions. The stop is electric. Will have to go and study the how the beast is wired.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 00:04   #65

Keep in mind the stop solenoid might have two coils. The first is a operate coil which pulls the solenoid in when the key start is operated, the second is a hold coil which "holds" the solenoid in once the key start is released.

The hold coil is via the solenoid own set of make contacts and also the stop switch. The stop switch actually allows the hold coil to de-energize thus allowing the fuel stop lever to return to the stop condition.

I hope this makes sense to you
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 07-11-2015, 22:28   #66

I havn't tried this yet but it sounds like it might work:
Frogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:45   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogster View Post
I havn't tried this yet but it sounds like it might work:
Absolutely perfect frogster!

You seem to have already picked up on the right balance of seriousness required here...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 01:25   #68

Allanbranch, did you ever get your Yanmar to start and if so, what was the problem? It's alway nice to hear how these issues finally get sorted
Old 18-11-2015, 05:15   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Allanbranch, did you ever get your Yanmar to start and if so, what was the problem? It's alway nice to hear how these issues finally get sorted
With a little more poking, I suspect he'll be back with an answer... Seems like he is fairly enthusiastic about learning...

Old 18-11-2015, 05:49   #70

Boat: Morgan, 30-1

Sorry I haven't posted an update, I left for a business trip and haven't been back. Which is probably even more terrible letting the salt water sit there. I'll work on the boat this weekend and give everyone an update.
allanbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 21:09   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanbranch View Post
Sorry I haven't posted an update, I left for a business trip and haven't been back. Which is probably even more terrible letting the salt water sit there. I'll work on the boat this weekend and give everyone an update.
Looking forward to hearing about a successful outcome
Old 19-11-2015, 04:53   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanbranch View Post
We all get busy.... don't even sweat it...

Just know... now that you're one of us we're going to poke you ... well... and help and all the other stuff... but mostly joke and poke...

Old 08-01-2016, 10:28   #73

Boat: Morgan, 30-1

Well after many weeks of travel and then I build a slip on my family's dock for the boat. I hired a diesel mechanic to come look at the problem. He did a check of the engine and found nothing really wrong with it. We tried to fire it and the freshly charged batteries died very soon. We put a new battery on it and the engine fired.

The mechanic will be replacing filters and such next week. He's going to show me the basics of the motor and help me to together a kit for spare parts.
allanbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:56   #74

Good outcome
Old 08-01-2016, 13:38   #75

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Oh baby...nice engine...air filter is off...do you have any pictures with more parts removed...oh yeah...check the oil...check it good...

This is a weird forum.

you is a dirty old diesel man....
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote