Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 11:30   #1

Yanmar YSE 8 Help - Fuel transfer pump

Hello all! Please help!

I have a Yanmar YSE 8 in my Columbia 7.6m. Have to replace the fuel transfer pump as it has very, very little PSI and is not able to pump into the injector pump. It actually never stops ticking which indicates to me that the pump is shot.. when bleeding the lines it "trickles".. I think it should "squirt". It is quite old! After all it is a 1978 boat and engine. Just not getting any fuel through the injector pump or up through the high-pressure line to the injector.. tried bleeding at the last banjo but to no avail.

So, I need to know what PSI is necessary for a new fuel transfer pump.

The original Yanmar YSE 8 setup had a fuel tank mounted atop the engine. My setup has a larger "cruising" tank aft of the engine compartment hence the need for the transfer pump.

Fuel starts in the tank and is pulled through a water separator, from the separator to the transfer pump, from transfer pump to small fuel element, from element to the injector pump.

Any suggestions as to what PSI pump is needed?

Help is greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers

-Matt

P.S. Attached is a picture of the pump currently on the engine. Hitachi PF1-01... I've search... they don't make them anymore.
SailboatMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 14:04   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer
Re: Yanmar YSE 8 Help - Fuel transfer pump

If it's an electric (ticking bellows pump) the bellows is most likely torn. They are a replaceable item. I have one for a spare and if I remember correctly only 4 small screws holding the cover on and then undo the bellows and put the new one in place with the cover and do up the 4 screws.
Most transfer or lift pumps are low pressure to supply the high pressure injection pump.
The Cummins lift pump in my truck is an exception as it will run at 30-40 PSI as will a Detroit Diesel gear pump. The lift pump should supply enough fuel pressure to bleed the furthest most fitting in the system. this is normally 5-10 PSI.
Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 15:22   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailboatMatt View Post
Hello all! Please help!

So, I need to know what PSI is necessary for a new fuel transfer pump.

The original Yanmar YSE 8 setup had a fuel tank mounted atop the engine. My setup has a larger "cruising" tank aft of the engine compartment hence the need for the transfer pump.

Fuel starts in the tank and is pulled through a water separator, from the separator to the transfer pump, from transfer pump to small fuel element, from element to the injector pump.

Any suggestions as to what PSI pump is needed?

Help is greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers

-Matt

P.S. Attached is a picture of the pump currently on the engine. Hitachi PF1-01... I've search... they don't make them anymore.
I don't know exactly what PSI is required but it isn't very much. I reckon Bill's recommendation would be pretty close.

As for a suitable replacement, almost any small electric fuel pump will be OK. Many small diesel tractors use electric fuel transfer pumps mounted away from the motor. Kubota and John Deere etc.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 16:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Try looking at these.

Walbro FR-Series Industrial and Marine Fuel Pumps from Fuel-Pumps.net
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 08:22   #5

I replaced mine with a 50$ electric 5 psi low pressure fuel pump from the local auto parts store.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 08:22   #6

Boat: Caliber 47

I second the Walbro...works great for us!
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 08:45   #7

Boat: Crown 34

We have a 1978 Yanmar 2QM15 and had the fuel pump die on us. We replaced it with a Mr. Gasket 12D Micro Diesel Fuel Pump- 4 to 7 PSI. It is 12volt and we wired the hot lead onto the key switch- key turns on, pump starts. It is plumbed into the fuel system between the tank and the primary filter, has worked great for three years and we keep a spare on board. Its mounted it in a very easy to get to spot for when it needs replacing in a hurry. The bonus is when changing filters, run the pump and the fuel system is self bleeding.
Good luck.
WestcoastCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 09:43   #8

Boat: ODAY 28

6 to 8 psi should be enough, quite a few pumps on line to look at
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 11:37   #9

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Facet fuel pumps are readily available, and reasonably priced.
Web site Motor Components, LLC | Facet Purolator
Available through NAPA and other auto parts stores, 'cheaper than marine source, for the same pump'.
Old 13-05-2017, 13:08   #10

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

I have an original service manual for a YSE 8 (in PDF format). If you'd like a copy PM me.
Old 13-05-2017, 13:10   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Yanmar YSE 8 Help - Fuel transfer pump

The Facet pump is an excellent pump, Maule uses them in their aircraft to transfer fuel from aux tanks to mains, very reliable.
If you look at the picture you see one end comes off, that is the built in filter that protects the pump from debris. Very few pumps have filters.
One I am talking about is the gold flow
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 17:43   #12

Boat: GibSea 472

I my opinion, any low pressure diesel feed pump will do the job. I just sold a similar engine, and the injector was fed simply by gravity(the tank being installed 2 ft above the engine). It worked perfectly, and presume an electric pump with a pressure between 4-7 psi would do the job. This small engine use very little diesel solow volume pump will do.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 04:26   #13

Boat: 1951 Alan Payne 28ft sloop

Hi Matt
I had one of these engines in a Pacific 747 in the nineties that I notice is just up for sale with the same original engine in it. My engine had a mechanical fuel pump bolted to the engine. Had a day tank in the cabin that I removed and placed a modified plastic outboard tank installed in a cockpit locker. Idiot mechanic connected fuel line to tank with a bayonet fitting same as an outboard.
These engines rely on gravity feed and bayonet fitting on tank would not work as pump on engine not strong enough to pull fuel through. Ended up just inserting fuel line through cap and all well for twenty years it would seem.
If you had enough head over filters it should work otherwise you need to help pump
Nnot work as pump not strong enough to pull fuel
Mossy Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, yanmar