Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:07   #1

Boat: C&C 30 MkII
Yanmar 'Waterproof' Warning Light

I have a 1987 Yanmar 2GM20F with the type B engine panel. Yesterday when motoring back from sailing when I throttled down from 2700 to 1800 the "water proof" warning light and buzzer sounded on my engine panel. The strange thing is that the only warning lights that I am supposed to have are oil pressure, water temperature and charging. These three lights are on the right hand side of the 6 light panel, the other 3 should be blank. My manual showed nothing about the "waterproof" warning signal. After some internet research I've discovered that the water proof warning is only applicable to saildrives when a seal is compromised. My boat is shaft driven and all of my installations are un-modified and factory stock. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this alarm to sound and how I can correct it?
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Evil spirits?

Sorry, I know it's not funny.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 13:32   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
It looks like the white-red wire in the harness is grounded somewhere.

Take the bulb out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Type-B.jpg
Views:	1752
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	19821  
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 17:01   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
DotDun is probably correct. The Yanmar wiring harness has all the wiring for all variants but of course in the non sail drive version, the switch is not present. The end of the Waterproof Switch wire is just loose in the loom.

Most likely the end of this wire is contacting the engine now (vibration possibly?); however it may be that the loom is chaffing at some point and the wire has been grounded at the chaff point. If so, the chaffing needs to be found and sorted out before more wires are damaged.

Try to find the source of the problem before say removing the lamp as it may be just the tip of the iceberg and an ounce of prevention is.. etc etc
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 13:57   #5

Boat: C&C 30 MkII
Thanks for the replies guys, I found the problem and you were both correct. The saildrive plug usually just hangs off the port side engine front. On mine I couldn't find it, when I did it was bent back (under the oil filter) and the white/red wire was tightly squeezed under the lock washer of the foward engine mount...amazing that it took 23 seasons to chafe through the shielding!
BTW I tried just removing the bulb but the alarm kept on ringing. Glad I found the source, engine alarms often go off at the worst possible time, even though I knew the saildrive one wasn't applicable to me the sound is still un-nerving.
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 15:12   #6

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumroll30 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, I found the problem and you were both correct. The saildrive plug usually just hangs off the port side engine front. On mine I couldn't find it, when I did it was bent back (under the oil filter) and the white/red wire was tightly squeezed under the lock washer of the foward engine mount...amazing that it took 23 seasons to chafe through the shielding!
BTW I tried just removing the bulb but the alarm kept on ringing. Glad I found the source, engine alarms often go off at the worst possible time, even though I knew the saildrive one wasn't applicable to me the sound is still un-nerving.
I'm glad it's fixed!

After looking at the wiring diagram closer, yep, the buzzer will still sound with the bulb removed. I didn't study it close enough the first time. My first conclusion was the buzzer got it's ground thru the bulb.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 01:52   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Thanks for the update and congratulations on hunting down the problem
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 05:31   #8

Boat: Currently boatless
Make lemonade out of lemons

You can put the saildrive connection to good use. Get a cooling water flow detector like this one and hook it up to the saildrive alarm wire.

Tags
yanmar