Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2016, 13:18   #46

Boat: H36
Re: Yanmar V-twin diesel conversion of OMC Saildrive

Dodge Paraflex will save you a main bearing.

http://www.baldor.com/mvc/DownloadCe...3A%20Couplings

Much better coupling for your application. I once was involved in a industrial installation of a cat 3208. Cat rep insisted on this tips of coupling if we wanted a warranty. Coupling also absorbs vibration created by engine.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 13:14   #47

Boat: Paceship PY26

Sailor Doug,

I have been taking a good hard look at the catalog you provided and I have discovered that the Taper-Lock coupling would actually be shorter than the S-Type Lovejoy. I just need to do a test fit of the whole engine and mounting assembly to determine the spacing between the shafts, to ensure that this unit will work. If so, looks like I can pick up all of the required parts for around $85. So pricing will end up pretty close.

Thanks again for your interest in the project.
sgancarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 13:34   #48

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post
Dodge Paraflex will save you a main bearing.

http://www.baldor.com/mvc/DownloadCe...3A%20Couplings

Much better coupling for your application. I once was involved in a industrial installation of a cat 3208. Cat rep insisted on this tips of coupling if we wanted a warranty. Coupling also absorbs vibration created by engine.

That couple is a thing of beauty!!

If it'll fit I concur it would be much better than the lovejoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 11:49   #49

Spent the last two days measuring and adjusting my drawings to make sure the Paraflex Coupling will work. Well looks like it is going to be tight with only 1/8" clearance between the coupling bolts and the intermediate housing cover bolts. Also going to be a little close on the bracket for the shifter cable, but I think it is going to work. So ordered all the components this morning. Here is a capture of the latest drawing from Sketchup.

Now if I can just find all the boxes from the Lovejoy coupling, I can hopefully sell on ebay. But unfortunately I think I threw them all out. Still should be able to sell, just not going to get top dollar for them.
Old 28-03-2016, 18:21   #50

Test fit the engine on the mount this evening to look at all the final clearances. It is just mounted on a test table I built last night to be able to do the test fit. Although I have to say everything looks pretty good. I think all my planning and time spent drawing everything out in Sketchup has really payed off.

I have to than Sailor Doug for his advice on the Paraflex coupling. This coupling actually gave me more clearance and will allow me the ability to change the water pump">raw water pump belt without having to move the engine. So yesterday I went ahead and ordered all the various pieces for the new coupling. Should have all the pieces by this weekend. Unfortunately don't think I will be able to work on it at all this weekend as I have out of town house guests.

Anyway here are the pictures of the engine sitting on the mount.

Old 29-03-2016, 05:19   #51

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

That look really good!!

Have you test run the engine yet? I'm curious how a vertical shaft V-twin diesel shakes compared to an off the shelf Harley.

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 06:56   #52

After looking at picture of assembly some think struck me. There is a large difference of shaft diameters between sail drive and motor. I know you said horsepower is close but operating rpm is very different. The diesel will run slow most likely at 1,800 rpm cruise and max at 2,600 rpm. The original 2 stroke motor likely ran at 4,000 rpm with a max speed of 6,500 rpm. This will cause your new motor to run fast but only get boat going slow and motor not loaded like diesel are supposed to run.
To correct this problem a new propeller with a greatly higher pitch or diameter. Unfortunately this would most likely over load the sail drive bearings and gears. Another solution would be to add a jack shaft. Then you could have via sprockets and belts a corrective speed change. This would also allow motor to be placed anywhere you want it. The next problem is the sail drive is not designed for side load, you would need to add a bearing to support shaft. A simple two hole flange bearing would work well.
Belt should be HT or timing belts to carry the load.

Old 29-03-2016, 09:17   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post
After looking at picture of assembly some think struck me. There is a large difference of shaft diameters between sail drive and motor. I know you said horsepower is close but operating rpm is very different. The diesel will run slow most likely at 1,800 rpm cruise and max at 2,600 rpm. The original 2 stroke motor likely ran at 4,000 rpm with a max speed of 6,500 rpm. This will cause your new motor to run fast but only get boat going slow and motor not loaded like diesel are supposed to run.
To correct this problem a new propeller with a greatly higher pitch or diameter. Unfortunately this would most likely over load the sail drive bearings and gears. Another solution would be to add a jack shaft. Then you could have via sprockets and belts a corrective speed change. This would also allow motor to be placed anywhere you want it. The next problem is the sail drive is not designed for side load, you would need to add a bearing to support shaft. A simple two hole flange bearing would work well.
Belt should be HT or timing belts to carry the load.

Actually there is only 150 rpm difference between the original engine (3750 rpm) and the Yanmar (3600 rpm). So, I don't think I will have any problems there. There is no room to move the engine anywhere else except where I am placing it. Even with that I will only have 1" clearance from the airbox to the bottom of the cockpit sole.

So at this point I am way beyond a complete re-engineering of the project and besides spring is here and I have a 6" hole in the bottom of the boat that needs to get filled.
Old 29-03-2016, 09:28   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
That look really good!!

Have you test run the engine yet? I'm curious how a vertical shaft V-twin diesel shakes compared to an off the shelf Harley.

Unfortunately I haven't run the engine yet. There were complaints on these engines that they did move around a bit and were a little noisy, but there is nothing else out there like it to use in my project. Plus I don't think I could pick up anything else for what I paid for this one.

I am hoping to get this engine project completed for under $2,000. Not too many people out there that can say they completed a repower with a brand new engine for that kind of money. I talked with Beta at one of the shows and the guy quoted me $11,000.

I would definitely have to look at a new boat for that kind of money.
Old 29-03-2016, 10:13   #55

I am with you on price control. I think 2 stroke sail drives ran a lot faster than than you quoted, most were 15hp outboard upper units. Make sure you verify old sail drive rpm, there has to be a reason for big shaft diameter variance.
A jack shaft is a separate shaft with bearings on either end. A belt and pulleys connect it with the motor and then another belt and pulleys connect it with the out drive. This allows motor to be on centre or where it works best. Use two identical ratios with HD belts best or timing belts. No take-up is required.
Are your motor mouth blocks with embedded bolts or just rubber blocks through bolted. Through bolt blocks don't do much an torque retention becomes a problem. Good news is a 90 degree twin runs very smooth, nothing like a Harley more like a four cylinder.

Old 29-03-2016, 10:13   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
That look really good!!

A 90 degree V twin is an exceptionally smooth running engine, it is I believe in perfect primary balance.
A Harley is 45 degrees, was picked as a nice round number and for packaging, but is a horrible design and has done more for giving V twins a bad name than anything. (in my opinion)
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 10:32   #57

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
...A Harley is 45 de..is a horrible design and has done more for giving V twins a bad name than anything. (in my opinion)
That must be why they're so unpopular.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 10:54   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
That must be why they're so unpopular.

A lot of people like the Harley shake can't undistinguished why. My last bike was a 1000cc 90 degree twin. Very smooth and much more hp. The only advantage to hog is the low slug wait of a push rod motor.

Old 29-03-2016, 11:14   #59

Specs on Sail drive 2 stroke.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_9.9_1993.htm

Old 29-03-2016, 11:31   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You know I think 5 to 6 thousand RPM is and has been pretty much the common RPM for large and small 2 and 4 stroke outboards for almost forever?
I think my 175 HP Verado was propped for 6,000 RPM if I remember right.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, omc, sail, saildrive, yanmar