Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-02-2016, 07:45   #16

Boat: Paceship PY26
Re: Yanmar V-twin diesel conversion of OMC Saildrive

Been a while since I posted on this, so thought I would provide an update.

I have completed the rebuild on the drive leg with all new bearings and seals. I have also acquired the parts and completed the machine work to the original input shaft on the saildrive for the coupling of the engine to the saildrive leg.

I also filled in the orignal water intake in the drive leg, being I have decided on the external water pump">raw water pump. However, the original raw water pump I purchased had some severe scoring and I didn't trust a rebuild, so I have purchased a brand new one.

Yesterday I did a test fit for the new engine mounting platform. It is made from 5" steel channel attached by two strips of 3/16" bar stock. I will also be adding flange shielding to either side of the mount. These will be made from 1/8" steel plate, to add additional rigidity to the mount.

I also started cutting the hole back into the bottom of the original saildrive motor mount. I discovered that the previous owner used a 1/2" of fiberglass and 3" of wood to fill in the original hole. Now I need to figure out how I am going to get all that wood out of there without damaging the original housing. Have a feeling it is going to take a bit of time and patience.

Old 21-02-2016, 08:39   #17

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Tagged for updates
conceptually very interesting . Mechanically intruiging, too. As a life long repurposer and shade tree engineer, I find it difficult that anyone would *wet-blanket* this endeavor; but that just me, I guess

Press on!

Old 21-02-2016, 09:09   #18

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgancarz View Post

I have decided that I will use an external raw water pump instead of the internal one in the leg. After doing all of my measurements and drawings, I discovered that I would not have enough room for the outlet of the internal pump. So, I have obtained a used Yanmar raw water pump that I will drive from a pulley attached to the upper portion of the Lovejoy coupling.
You will have to unmount the engine every time you need to change this water pump belt?

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-02-2016, 12:16   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
You will have to unmount the engine every time you need to change this water pump belt?
Yes, this is true, however I will keep a link belt onboard for emergencies. This will allow installation without unmounting the engine.

Another possibility, if I have enough clearance is to slide the couplings apart and remove the rubber sleave. Then the belt could be slipped between the shafts. (A big IF on the clearance though)
Old 21-02-2016, 12:59   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

sgancarz -
I'm curious. What did the v-twin Yanmar diesel come out of? I've never seen one.
Thanks
Old 21-02-2016, 15:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
sgancarz -
I'm curious. What did the v-twin Yanmar diesel come out of? I've never seen one.
Thanks
They were originally installed in John Deere 355D Lawn Tractors. They were installed in other types of commercial equipment as well, just can't tell you exact brands.

Last year John Deere determined that this engine was at its end of life for warehouse stock, so they blew them all out to the dealers at deep discounts. Suddenly there was a flood of them available on ebay and craigslist for a fraction of what they cost new.

I believe this engine was produced beginning in 1997 and I believe was discontinued around 2005 (my particular one was produced in 2004). It was replaced by the 2V750 beginning in 2005, however I am not sure how long this version remained in production.
Old 21-02-2016, 16:13   #22

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Looks like an interesting project, keep us posted on progress.
Old 28-02-2016, 09:52   #23

Spent the day at the machine shop yesterday and made real progress on the mount. Here are some pics with the engine mounted to its new mount.

Next project is to make the bracket for the raw water pump. With that, the mount will be complete with the exception of paint. Then its on to finishing up clearing out all the filler wood in the original mount, so that the drive leg can be lowered into place.
Old 28-02-2016, 12:37   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Will the adapter plate be on soft mounts to the hull with the love joy coupling "floating" in between?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-02-2016, 13:45   #25

Boat: Irwin sloop

There might be another alternative. By mounting the engine a bit forward or aft of the saildrive centerline it could be belt driven. This could eliminate the vibration issue and ease alignment problems and the water pump belt access would be improved. I've heard it said that "Vtwins don't vibrate, they throb". The statement was made in jest but it's kinda true too. What a great project, I'm hooked.
Old 28-02-2016, 14:12   #26

Sailmonkey

The main structure of the mount will bolt directly to the top of the original OMC mount. There are rubber isolators between the engine plate and the mounting structure. This should give me enough isolation from the engine vibrations.

Here is a drawing again of how everything goes together

Jesse

There is not enough room to mount the engine any further forward or aft, thus the belt suggestion will not work in my case. Also I am a bit to deep into the current design to go making major changes like that. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 28-02-2016, 14:25   #27

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I like your project. It has its quirks, like the water pump belt, but I think you'll have a reliable propulsion system when you're done. Much better than an outboard hanging on a bracket.

I wonder if water pumped through the drive leg was also cooling the drive leg and if you might has some issue with it getting hotter than originally designed?

Old 28-02-2016, 15:38   #28

Boat: Catalina 42

When you put it all together, zip-tie a replacement belt into the installation so you have one in there for an emergency without pulling the engine. If the first belt breaks at a bad time, you'll thank me...
Old 28-02-2016, 21:02   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
I like your project. It has its quirks, like the water pump belt, but I think you'll have a reliable propulsion system when you're done. Much better than an outboard hanging on a bracket.

I wonder if water pumped through the drive leg was also cooling the drive leg and if you might has some issue with it getting hotter than originally designed?

I actually worried about that myself, however I sail in Lake Michigan, so water is quite cold and I don't think that will be an issue. My biggest worry was the original seal for the water pump which I am keeping in place just in case any water was to make it by the output shaft bearing assembly. My plan is just to surround that seal with lots of grease for lubrication and hope for the best.
Old 28-02-2016, 21:08   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
When you put it all together, zip-tie a replacement belt into the installation so you have one in there for an emergency without pulling the engine. If the first belt breaks at a bad time, you'll thank me...
That's an excellent idea. I'll have to see if somehow I can keep it up out of the way as a ready spare. As stated originally, my plan was to always carry a link belt for emergencies. But then again this is a sailboat, so this is an auxiliary engine, not my only means of propulsion.

Wouldn't be the first time I've had to sail into the slip!

Tags
diesel, omc, sail, saildrive, yanmar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: