Been a while since I posted on this, so thought I would provide an update.
I have completed the rebuild
on the drive leg with all new bearings and seals
. I have also acquired the parts
and completed the machine work to the original input shaft on the saildrive
for the coupling of the engine
to the saildrive
I also filled in the orignal water
intake in the drive leg, being I have decided on the external water
pump">raw water pump. However, the original raw water pump
I purchased had some severe scoring and I didn't trust a rebuild
, so I have purchased a brand new one.
Yesterday I did a test fit for the new engine
mounting platform. It is made from 5" steel
channel attached by two strips of 3/16" bar stock. I will also be adding flange shielding to either side of the mount. These will be made from 1/8" steel
plate, to add additional rigidity to the mount.
I also started cutting the hole back into the bottom of the original saildrive motor
mount. I discovered that the previous owner used a 1/2" of fiberglass
and 3" of wood to fill in the original hole. Now I need to figure out how I am going to get all that wood out of there without damaging the original housing. Have a feeling it is going to take a bit of time and patience.