Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2014, 10:35   #1

Boat: Yankee 30'
Yanmar throttle return spring

Yanmar throttle return spring too strong: I have worked on many Yanmars and sailed many boats with Yanmar engines, but a friend's boat's Yanmar has me stumped. I know there is an internal return spring on this Yanmar injection pump throttle lever, but on this particular installation, the return spring seems way too strong. I can barely move it to full throttle position with my hand when the linkage is disconnected and perversely, near the idle stop, the return force is very week, so that would make it elaborate to balance the excessive return force by some kind of external spring. Up at the pedestal controls, you have to bodily lean on it. The new cable is very smooth, so the lever snaps back with a bang when let go.
I researched several previous threads on this forum as well as other forums concerning this and the problem of throttle creep seems common, but the suggested solutions are limited to adjusting friction (at the control levers when available or via cable brake when not). There is an existing cable brake, which was the reason I replaced the cable: to keep the throttle from creeping back towards idle, the cable brake (the standard small C-clamp thinghy) had been tightened so much it crushed the cable. At least one other sailor mentioned that to keep the throttle lever from creeping back towards idle, he had to tighten the cable brake so much, he was no longer able to move the shift lever at all. I am contemplating fabricating an external friction brake for the shaft of the throttle lever of the Edson pedestal. Is there an easier or more elegant solution? Please, no velcro, rope, ducktape solutions, I got a lot of that here at the YC bar.
With so many Yanmars installed around the world, it cannot be a problem with new installations. I have seen springs get weaker before, not stronger.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 15:34   #2

Boat: Yankee 30'
Re: Yanmar throttle return spring

OK, no help from my friends? And no wonder. I looked inside, and from what I can see, the smaller of the two return springs (according to the shop manual) have been replaced by a big one, hooked at a different spot on the internal lever. So it hopefully didn't happen to anyone else. Sadly, there is no way to remove the spring or to install the missing tiny "idle" spring without disassembling half (only a slight exaggeration here) of the engine.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 18:20   #3

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
Re: Yanmar throttle return spring

Returning to factory specification is the best. Have you looked into, a possible portion of an O-ring binding the shafts/rod. Find the sticky part and resolve that issue.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot, yanmar