Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2019, 15:57   #1

Yanmar temperature sensor

I have a meter that tells the exact water temperature-fresh water-but I don’t know where to install it. My engine is a 3HMF. The sensor is at least 5/8” if not more.

Any help would be appreciated.
Joe
New to this forum
joeniver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 09:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Yanmar temperature sensor

Look around, there is usually a pipe plug that you remove. If you find such a plug and I bet you will, then find a sensor that fits the hole, mine I believe was 1/8 npt.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 11:32   #3

Thanks a64pilot. Will send u a pic.

So you get to sail for most of the year?

Most get hauled out here in Long Island.
Joe
Old 23-11-2019, 11:57   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yanmar temperature sensor

This is my 4-JHE, the sender with the white wire I added for a gauge, the original factory switch for the alarm you can see immediately below it. After looking you can see it’s considerable larger than 1/8” NPT, maybe 3/8”?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	203617
Old 25-11-2019, 05:44   #5

My engine is 3HM. Around 1984? The sensor is 5/8".
Will I need to get a reducing or expanding nipple to make it fit?

Thank you for you help!
joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	heat-sensor.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	203715  
Old 25-11-2019, 05:49   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeniver View Post
My engine is 3HM. Around 1984? The sensor is 5/8".
Will I need to get a reducing or expanding nipple to make it fit?

Thank you for you help!
joe
What kind of temp sensor is that? Very different from what I've seen in the past. Usually the sensor looks like A64pilot's just a small device that you screw in and connect a single electrical lead to.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 06:02   #7

Thumbs up Re: Yanmar temperature sensor

It is a mechanical sensor. Does not need electricity for it to function. If it does not work, I will get one like a64pilot has.
Thanks
Old 25-11-2019, 22:59   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
I have a meter that tells the exact water temperature-fresh water-but I don’t know where to install it. My engine is a 3HMF. The sensor is at least 5/8” if not more.

Any help would be appreciated.
Joe
New to this forum
As a64pilot posted, there are a couple of plugs in the cooling system that can be removed for the fitting of another temperature sensor. You will see in the attached parts breakdown, there are three near the existing coolant pump and thermostat (items 9,12 and 13) and another in the coolant tank (item 21).

Item 12 is 1/4" BSP and the others are 3/8" BSP (British Standard Pipe). Note this isn't the actual diameter of the thread.

I don't know the type of thread your sender has although all the mechanical senders I have seen are BSP. Presumably you are located in North America and therefore your sender may be different. Maybe the supplier knows?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3HMF cooling.png
Views:	226
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	203756   Click image for larger version

Name:	3HMF cooling part numbers.png
Views:	177
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	203757  

Name:	3HMF Cooling 2.png
Views:	491
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	203758   Click image for larger version

Name:	3HMF Cooling 2 Parts.png
Views:	134
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	203759  

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 04:57   #9

Thanks WotName:

Great diagrams. Do you know where I can get that service manual? I only have engine installation --brief-- and operation and light trouble shooting.

Will take a deeper look at the engine today.

Will I have to order all pipe fittings since they are BSP? Is not American plumbing the same as British?

Also for starting and running, do I have to keep the idiot light temp sensor connected? I would like to just put a reducing nipple where the sensor is now.

Thanks for your help.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	temp-sensor.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	203774  
Old 26-11-2019, 04:58   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
As a64pilot posted, there are a couple of plugs in the cooling system that can be removed for the fitting of another temperature sensor. You will see in the attached parts breakdown, there are three near the existing coolant pump and thermostat (items 9,12 and 13) and another in the coolant tank (item 21).

Item 12 is 1/4" BSP and the others are 3/8" BSP (British Standard Pipe). Note this isn't the actual diameter of the thread.

I don't know the type of thread your sender has although all the mechanical senders I have seen are BSP. Presumably you are located in North America and therefore your sender may be different. Maybe the supplier knows?
Its true that Yanmar uses BSP thread, which is really a pain as BSP are impossible to find. Luckily NPT and BSP are close enough to be compatible. The ones near the thermostat are for an optional hot water tank circuit but as they are on the closed side of the thermostat, either would be great options for a temp sensor.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 06:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Its true that Yanmar uses BSP thread, which is really a pain as BSP are impossible to find. Luckily NPT and BSP are close enough to be compatible. The ones near the thermostat are for an optional hot water tank circuit but as they are on the closed side of the thermostat, either would be great options for a temp sensor.
You are boating in the wrong part of the world; BSP is available everywhere in the right parts of the world .

As for the BSP / NPT compatibility, I have found that NPT male fittings can be fitted into BSP female threads if you use a liberal amount of pipe sealant. However trying to fit BSP male fittings into a female NPT thread always ends in tears.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 26-11-2019, 06:48   #12

Quote:
Thanks WotName:

Great diagrams. Do you know where I can get that service manual? I only have engine installation --brief-- and operation and light trouble shooting.

Will take a deeper look at the engine today.

Will I have to order all pipe fittings since they are BSP? Is not American plumbing the same as British?

Also for starting and running, do I have to keep the idiot light temp sensor connected? I would like to just put a reducing nipple where the sensor is now.

Thanks for your help.

Joe
A HM service manual can be downloaded from the library section of CF Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Library - Manuals

If you PM me with an email address, I can send you an illustrated parts manual for the 3HM35. The fie size is about 6MB.

You don't have to keep the existing over temperature switch and idiot light (and buzzer) but I would recommend keeping it. One doesn't always keep watching the gauge (or idiot light) but the audile alarm associated with the idiot light is a very good thing IMO.

The American plumbing system is rather odd and not all standard - OK, that was a joke!
Old 26-11-2019, 11:42   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
You are boating in the wrong part of the world; BSP is available everywhere in the right parts of the world .

As for the BSP / NPT compatibility, I have found that NPT male fittings can be fitted into BSP female threads if you use a liberal amount of pipe sealant. However trying to fit BSP male fittings into a female NPT thread always ends in tears.

Not for the 1/8”, maybe it was 1/4”? however they are close enough so that you can take a tap and cover it with grease to hold any cuttings and tap out an oil galley, then thread in the oil sending unit.
Oil senders are usually small. Temp are usually larger.
On the 4JHE anyway there are plenty of unused plugs so that you can install a temp gauge and oil pressure sender and not touch your factory switches or wiring.

That is how I installed my oil PSI gauge, on the advice of a Yanmar dealer after trying unsuccessfully to find an adapter.
Old 28-11-2019, 08:57   #14

Me email address is joeniver@hotmail.com thanks

Tags
yanmar