Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2011, 12:33   #31

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Mike,
That's exactly what happened to our car's solenoid, both on the Chrysler and the Acura.
I described it in a previous post on this thread.
Both of those required disassembly, but the fault was the same.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 16:57   #32

Boat: No boat, looking again.
My new boat has a 25 yo 1GM10 which starts easy enough but takes between 1 and 5 starter-button pushes before the starter motor actually engages. The other times I push the starter button, there is only the click from the motor which other folk have described. I had wondered if it was the starter motor starting to fail, though when it kicked in it always seemed strong enough. Now from reading this thread, I think it may the solenoid or wiring. I'm gunna start problem solving from that aspect and if no success I will change the starter motor. Thanks for your help folks and I didn't even need to start a new thread asking why my motor was not starting properly.
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 14:09   #33

Boat: boat less ATM
ME 2
I have two Yanmar 3GM30's on my cat. I had the "dreaded click" for 12 months and trawled the net searching for solutions. I had two dofferent marine electricians look at the engine. One said that it was the starter motor and the other said it was the solenoid. I ended up buying another solenoid but still has the same problem.

I ended up doing what I always end up doing but should always do FIRST. Start swapping parts from the other engine. I found that problem still occurred with known to be fynctioning parts.

Arecurrent idea to fix is that you should replace the wires from the engine switch as Yanmar make them much too small and with time and corrosion, not enough juice gets to your solenoid.

Problem SOLVED when I ran another much thicker wire from the key switch to the solenoid.

After hundreds of WASTED dollars and many hours troubled sleep - it was that easy. The only benefit was that I now know a lot more about engine electrics.

I really don't know why I pay for so called marine professionals to rip me off. One day I will eventually learn.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 14:39   #34

Boat: Soon: Vision 444
I had this problem a few months ago on my 2GM20, turned out that the inline fuse for the panel +12v had corroded and was making a poor connection. Hitting the starter did not allow enough amps to flow into the solenoid. The inline fuse is found near the engine block and would be a good thing to check for anyone with this problem.
jaredko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 04:18   #35
VVD

Boat: Caliber47LRC - MAKAI
Re: Yanmar Starter Is Intermittent

I have a Yanmar 4JH-3TE and when I turn the key nothing happens (no click, nothing just the regular beep). In the past it was the connector to my Yanmar fuel pump on the motor. I replaced this connection but still nothing. Could it be this wire is spent? Help?
VVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 04:23   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 57

By "beep" do you mean the oil pressure warning buzzer? Do you have a multimeter and a second helping hand? Can you tell by dimming lights if the starter is drawing power when you turn the key (or use a second person to look at the voltmeter or measure the starter battery directly); this can happen when a faulty starter fails to crank.
Old 21-08-2011, 05:34   #37

Boat: O'Day 28

Gee, a lifetime of running into similar problems and I still have to be told to clean the contacts. Talk about a flatliner. At least I hadn't spent any dough on it yet.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 05:50   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]

We have 2x 2GM20FC.

The problem you describe sounds similar to the issue we had, and after much research, this is what we did.

The issue is the power from the key switch to the starter solenoid, which others have referred to. Basically the Yanmar wire harness is not sized to handle the load properly, especially if there is the slightest bit of corrosion somewhere. This is fairly common on Yanmar engines. There is always a chance there is corrosion somewhere also, but the solution below will deal with some corrosion which is inevitable from the panel to the starter.

The solution. Install a small 12V relay at the starter solenoid. Wire the key switch to the relay. Take power from the positive starter lug to the relay. Then wire the relay to the solenoid. Now the key switch only has to provide enough power for a small 12V relay, basically nothing and will have no issue with that at all.

We installed this solution 3 years ago and have never had the issue again with the solenoid (and in turn the starter) not getting engaged.

Total cost is about $15 for the relay, some short leads of wire, and some connectors.

I have heard of others changing the wire out from the panel to the solenoid with mixed results, but everyone I know who has installed a relay it has fixed the issue for them.

If you need more details, let me know.
Old 21-08-2011, 13:03   #39
VVD

Boat: Caliber47LRC - MAKAI

Thanks, I will look into the changes. In the mean time I have gotten the Yanmar running by replacing the connector and checked the voltage out of the starter batteries. I have two, one for the Genset and one for the Yanmar. The Yanmar was was giving me a low voltage. That is where the problem was this time...
VVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 14:20   #40

I had this, and read all the threads on it. An electrician did not fix it. I took the switch out, and noticed that one of the bolts that the wires attach to was slightly shorter than the others. They have two nuts one being locking. I tightened the lower one, which made them all the same length. My hypothesis was that inside there was a connection that relied on the bolt being tight to be good. I didn't see how to take the switch entirely apart but didn't need to. It has been fine ever since. The corollary is any poor connection may have an effect. It may often be of this type though.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 14:50   #41

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

My original Yanmar shop manual also mentions that the wire from the switch to the starter solenoid has multiple connections along its path. It's in the troubleshooting section, three or four connections I think.

Resistance at each of these can add up to a lower voltage at the solenoid, causing a problem, as well as some of the other things mentioned here.

I haven't cleaned mine yet, but if my batteries are a little under charged I'll get a click on the first couple of presses on the button. Never failed to start and fires right up when the batteries are fully charged.

Previous owner installed a secondary push button, currently not connected, for this problem. One day I'll clean the connections. Or use the secondary switch if it fails to start before I get to the fix.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 16:03   #42

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I also have the rare intermittant starter problem with my 4jhte yanmar. Idora has the factory engine control panel. When it fails to start there is not even a click. I have wired a bypass switch for those ocassions when I must start, such as leaving a mooring that we cannot sail off of. Over time the switch will fail due to excessive load but if only used sparingly will likely last a long time. I have only needed to use it 2 times in 3 years.

Someday I will rebuild the pedestal that the controls are mounted in and change out all the wiring which may be corroded. A secondary 12 volt relay seems like the best idea.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:11   #43

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltym
We have 2x 2GM20FC.

We installed this solution 3 years ago and have never had the issue again with the solenoid (and in turn the starter) not getting engaged.

Total cost is about $15 for the relay, some short leads of wire, and some connectors.

If you need more details, let me know.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Any chance you have one and a parts list? I am having a hard time visualizing this. But maybe I need coffee...

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:43   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefaa View Post
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Any chance you have one and a parts list? I am having a hard time visualizing this. But maybe I need coffee...
The relay part# I use:
Tyco
12V
V23234-A0001-X032

There are 5 pins on the relay:

87 - Jumper to starter male spade terminal
86 - Wire from Yanmar panel (used to go directly to starter)
30 - Positive jumper from large positive cable attached to starter.
85 - To Ground
87a - Not used

So, without this relay, you have 1 large nut on your starter, with a rather thick positive cable on it (this should come from your start battery). And, you should have 1 smaller cable, with a spade female disconnect on it that is connected to a spade post on the starter (this will come from the Yanmar engine panel at your helm station).

You need to remove this wire from the spade on the starter, connect it to position 86 on the relay. Then you make two short runs of cable, one going back to that spade male terminal on the starter from position 87, and another one from the big nut/positive cable on the starter to position 30 on the relay. Then a short ground wire to your engine ground from position 85 on the relay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050040.JPG
Views:	19297
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	31144  
Old 04-09-2011, 08:54   #45

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel

Mark,
Excellent post - this is why I like this site.
Thank you,
Kurt

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar