Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2010, 15:28   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
I know this thread is a little old, but maybe I'll catch somebody with some experience. I just found Mocha Coffee in my port saildrive.

1. Are you guys saying that a DIYer will need access to some special nut and a "press" to do this job, and shouldn't attempt it without an extended period available on the "hard"? What is required to break/loosen this special nut? I thought the seals were in the back plate, and the shaft stayed where it is.

2. Somebody just told me that the seals should be bedded into the aluminum with "Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, by Permatex, to minimize differential metal corrosion. He feels the failure could start as galvanic corrosion. Any feedback on that?

3. The seals have a "U" cross-section. I understand that the "U" of both seals are meant to face the seawater, not the oil. Can you confirm?

4. Assuming I am now too nervous to do it myself, anybody got a reference for a good saildrive mechanic in Chaguaramas, Trinidad?

Thanks folks.

IIRC, the seals are in a seal "carrier" One U faces inward to seal the oil in, one U faces out to seal the water out. I don't believe you need the special socket to replace the seals.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 18:47   #47

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
I know this thread is a little old, but maybe I'll catch somebody with some experience. I just found Mocha Coffee in my port saildrive.

1. Are you guys saying that a DIYer will need access to some special nut and a "press" to do this job, and shouldn't attempt it without an extended period available on the "hard"? What is required to break/loosen this special nut? I thought the seals were in the back plate, and the shaft stayed where it is.

2. Somebody just told me that the seals should be bedded into the aluminum with "Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, by Permatex, to minimize differential metal corrosion. He feels the failure could start as galvanic corrosion. Any feedback on that?

3. The seals have a "U" cross-section. I understand that the "U" of both seals are meant to face the seawater, not the oil. Can you confirm?

4. Assuming I am now too nervous to do it myself, anybody got a reference for a good saildrive mechanic in Chaguaramas, Trinidad?

Thanks folks.
The last post is correct; the seals are back to back.

I'd be skeptical about RTV. I always heard that if a little piece of cured RTV got into gears, it would cause a lot of damage. I greased mine.

And I didn't do anything with the special nut. Left it as is.

The biggest difficulty I had was pressing the bearing straight into the housing. It kept getting cocked .
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:34   #48

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Well, I've given it my best, and it is reassembled and filled with oil in Chaguaramas. We'll know how things went when we splash again in November. Thanks for your assistance.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 16:46   #49
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Re: Yanmar SD20 Sail Drive Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
If anyone wants that lower gear housing break away diagram let me know.
Can you send it to me? I have SD-20's.
Thanks,
Susan
Old 20-11-2011, 18:14   #50

Boat: Privilege 37

My! This is old! Sail drives still going strong, But I pull the boat in a couple of weeks and will do a more comprehensive evaluation then!

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 18:15   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
My! This is old! Sail drives still going strong, But I pull the boat in a couple of weeks and will do a more comprehensive evaluation then!

Keith
Hi Keith,

What did you determine on the SD20 seacocks not closing? Are you just being careful to keep a hose attached and above waterline?

Good to hear the unit is doing well. Looking forward to hearing your report.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 18:58   #52

I remove my seacocks (called Kingston by Yanmar) each hauling and lubricate with WD 40, and then heavier stuff. Still using originals at nearly 12 years.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:25   #53

Boat: Privilege 37

I completely replaced them with Marelon seacocks. Much better solution, 4 years or so, no issues.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 13:45   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
I completely replaced them with Marelon seacocks. Much better solution, 4 years or so, no issues.
Do these seacocks screw into the sail drive same as original?
Old 26-08-2012, 20:13   #55

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran

Any good ideas as to how to clean inside the sd 20 leg to get out critters ,shells etc to allow good unrestricted seawater flow?
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 20:42   #56

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
The last post is correct; the seals are back to back.

I'd be skeptical about RTV. I always heard that if a little piece of cured RTV got into gears, it would cause a lot of damage. I greased mine.

And I didn't do anything with the special nut. Left it as is.

The biggest difficulty I had was pressing the bearing straight into the housing. It kept getting cocked .
We use Locktite 271 for propshaft seals and pack the space between the seals with Mercury 101 with Teflon. A trick I learned when pressing bearings into a housing is to start them in straight with a dead blow hammer before pressing.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 21:44   #57

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Oh boy do I hate my Yanmar SD50's ....
I had my cone clutches serviced at well under a thousand hours in Antigua with the agent ... cost me a pretty penny ... arrived in the BVI's and am now having to remove them and install new clutch cone kits. This engineering is hugely antiquated!
The type and brand of oil apparently plays a HUGE role in hours and the oil I was recommended to use by the agents in SA was not the oil to use according to the agent in Antigua ... I just find I can not be sure when they will slip and when they will not, so it's 2 brand new kits for me at under 1000 hrs.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:31   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I have used both contact adhesive as well as sikaflex in the past - with good results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchesley View Post
I have an additional issue with these units.... the fairing rubber boot. (Not the rubber seal which is an integral item. My boot which fairs the saildrive with the hull has separated from the hull. I'm told that it is not a critical issue but it does represent additional drag at the least an possible source of problems down the line, not the least of which is marine growth etc etc. Anyone else experience this? What do you/have you used to 'glue' the rubber to the underside of the hull?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 12:21   #59

Boat: Voyage Maxim 380

Okay I am getting so confused. I have SD20 sail drives that I want to change the seals. I was going to get the local guy here in Aruba to show me how, but he wants over $500USD! I have one of the units out and parts arriving on Sunday with a friend. Now I saw a video on line showing you undo the 5 bolts on the collar, knock it off, replace the 2 oil seals inside and the 2 external O rings. In the You tube (Catalyn) he casually pushed the oil seal in, chucked the 2 retainers in, then the video finished. How hard is it to replace the seals - would I need to press them in or can they be inserted by hand? I have not taken the bolts off the collar as yet, and am tempted to just reinsert the whole damn thing, rather than risk having problems reassembling. I would appreciate any suggestions.
bevcory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saildrive, yanmar