Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2019, 06:46   #16

Boat: Mirage,schmit,27'
Re: Yanmar SB8 clutch control

Exactly where it is broken,detached.
copaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:54   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Then I think you will have to replace the whole cable assembly.
Maybe some else knows how to repair it but I don't.
The shift on these gearboxes are quite heavy and that puts a lot of force on the cable so I can't see a viable repair method.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 17:25   #18

More precise images from Yanmar manual.I imagine you can have springs made on request?
Old 12-07-2019, 18:33   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by copaco View Post
More precise images from Yanmar manual.I imagine you can have springs made on request?
Thanks Wotname for posting the pic with cable break circled,
I suspect it's too thin to weld. I would try wrapping in epoxy/glass if you don't want to buy a new cable. You need to bend the engine bracket to make sure the cable is coming in straight after you repair it. The problem will be not letting any glue seep thru the joint.You dont want to stick the rod inside. I would put a bit of 5 minute epoxy on the joint first & then use the high strength epoxy with a bit of glass tape. to spread the load both sides of join. Maybe a couple of wraps.

Suggest you look at Wotnames suggestion how to adjust your idle before you play with springs.
Those injection pumps can have wear problems in the regulator needle which can cause your idle problems. Wotname knows about that but first try adjusting it where he described. Your springs look pretty good to me
Is French your native language Lionel? I'm having a little trouble understanding.
Also make sure you do not have any air or fuel leaks as air particularly can cause hunting at idle.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 21:19   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Suggest you look at Wotnames suggestion how to adjust your idle before you play with springs.
Those injection pumps can have wear problems in the regulator needle which can cause your idle problems. Wotname knows about that but first try adjusting it where he described. Your springs look pretty good to me
Is French your native language Lionel? I'm having a little trouble understanding.
Also make sure you do not have any air or fuel leaks as air particularly can cause hunting at idle.
Yes, the regular needle does wear. The operator's manual calls up the adjustment procedure so I would suggest to do that (and the above idle adjustment) before worrying about the spring.

And the check the fuel supply as Compass as suggested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SB8 Regulator adjustment English.png
Views:	63
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	195850   Click image for larger version

Name:	SB8 Regulator Adjustment .png
Views:	59
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	195851  

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 03:14   #21

Thanks.I will go through the entire process.N.B The injection pump and injector were rebuilt last year.My mechanic turned the connector up a bit from the punch mark facing me.Say from 9 o’clock to 10:30.

Tags
clutch, yanmar