Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2017, 11:32   #1

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113
Yanmar SB12 Piston ring compressor

Hi all!

I'm putting together tools and supplies to overhaul my old Yanmar SB12 engine this winter. I'm burning a lot of oil (as in, 1qt/10hrs). I replaced the valve guides and had the valves lapped and seated this past winter but it didn't fix the problem. The engine doesn't leak anywhere, so I think piston rings are my next best bet.

I've got all the supplies on order, but the only thing I haven't been able to find is the tool to compress the rings. It's part number 101300-92140. I'm wondering if anyone has one of these laying around or knows where I can find one. Alternately, do you think something like this may work? Piston Ring Compressor Cylinder Installer with Plier & 14 bands tool set

I'm new to diesel engine work, but learning a lot and fast. All help appreciated!

Thanks folks!!!
Phil
pmagistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 11:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Yanmar SB12 Piston ring compressor

you can use some thin brass shimstock and a couple of cable clamps .

also on all the ysb models the oil pumps are notorious for loosing oil pressure as the oil pump cover gets worn,getting the cover re- faced or replaced generally fixes the problem
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 16:13   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Any auto parts store should have a ring compressor. It does not need to be a Yanmar tool. As was said above, if you are cheap, a hose clamp etc. will work. Make sure to get a hone, because if you don't hone the cylinders, you are wasting your time and money. A cheap ball hone works just fine. You have to get a cross hatch pattern on the cylinder walls. If not, it will all just glaze over and you will see little improvement.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 16:54   #4

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Any auto parts store should have a ring compressor. It does not need to be a Yanmar tool. As was said above, if you are cheap, a hose clamp etc. will work. Make sure to get a hone, because if you don't hone the cylinders, you are wasting your time and money. A cheap ball hone works just fine. You have to get a cross hatch pattern on the cylinder walls. If not, it will all just glaze over and you will see little improvement.
Are they all standard size? That kit I looked at had a bunch of sizes.

Also, planning on replacing the entire cylinder liner, so honing shouldn't be necessary.
pmagistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 17:06   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

Probably only 2 sizes on the shelf, maybe 2-3"and 3- 5". It is like a hose clamp affair.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 17:22   #6

Boat: Pearson 33-2

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-2503...mpressor&psc=1
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 09:27   #7

Boat: Currently in between

If buying for personal use the ring compressor is most likely a one-time use tool. Storing it might be silly, given how cheap they are. But rather than pitching it be a good neighbor and offer it here for free, taker pays shipping, for anyone else that may need it!
Old 30-08-2017, 19:31   #8

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

AutoZone and others have a lot of tools as free loaners. Buy it and they refund your money when it is returned. Ring compressor was only $10, not sure if I will even return it.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 19:50   #9

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

No experience with outboards but did many car engine repairs when I was younger. When changing pistons, rings or bearings it was critical to use a ridge reamer. Run your fingernail near the top edge of the cylinder wall and if there is any and I do mean any difference in the surface from ring wear, you run the risk of breaking the new ring or even the piston if that ridge is not removed.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 05:24   #10

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
I have this tool and it works great. I've rebuilt a few engines and it's always performed exactly like you'd expect. The quick release ratchet is a nice feature. Only thing I don't like is the square drive, I have managed to hold onto the key his long but it's bound to go missing. Would prefer Allen key.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 05:27   #11

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

And buy a dingleberry hone for your size bore. Yeah they aren't cheap but those 3 arm cheapies with the stones aren't the right tool for a cylinder deglaze. And watch a few videos on how to do it before. You need to really stroke it to get the cross hatch and use plenty of oil. I took my block to a shop and had them tank it afterwards to ensure any grit was gone after running the hone thru it.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, yanmar