Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-11-2011, 10:19   #16

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Yanmar Saildrive Seal Leaking . . . Again

It certainly sounds like the expansion tank tube is blocked. Can you take it off of the tank and blow thru it with the filler cap off?

You can take the top cover (#11) off and see what's going on, there are 2 o-rings (#23 & #26) that seal the cover. Also, the top bearing will probably come off with the cover, make sure it's seated in the cover before re-installing otherwise it'll hold up the cover and make you think you broke something.

Old 28-11-2011, 14:38   #17

Boat: PDQ MV34 Powercat

Ahhh... Found something! I took DotDun's advise & tried to blow thru the expansion tank tube - as long as the oil filler cap was loose, I could blow thru the tube easily & hear & feel the air passing thru the filler cap - no problem or blockage.

However sitting there, I was looking at the expansion tank cap (Mack Boring used some sort of small Mercruiser reservoir tank), I noticed a rubber air seal on the top. Attempting to blow thru it, I couldn't! Apparently, it's a one-way air release seal which only allows air/fluid to drain out of the tank, not in - so it really wasn't doing anything at all. There is & has been a teaspoon of oil in there, but that must have forced it's way in once under high pressure - with "normal" pressure, air nor oil could escape into the reservoir. That explains why there is still a slight hissing when loosening the oil fill cap after a long run of the engine.

So, theoretically, the expansion tank isn't even needed, but if it is and/or helps, the cap can't have it's one-seal in place!

Russ

Old 28-11-2011, 14:40   #18

Boat: PDQ MV34 Powercat

If anyone is following this thread who has had Mack Boring install their "unofficial" saildrive reservoir kit on their saildrive (done on a number of boats, both under & out of warranty), CHECK THE CAP, if a Mercruiser expansion tank. If there is a one-way air vent on the cap, remove it!

Russ
Old 28-11-2011, 20:18   #19

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

That's interesting. When I made up my mind to install an expansion tank, I looked everywhere for one, and that Mercruiser tank was the only reasonable size I found. But when my reluctant (they aren't cheap) order for two got screwed up and delayed, I canceled and made them myself.

I did not realize they had a one way valve in the cap though. So now I am doubly pleased I made mine. Thanks for that!
Old 28-11-2011, 20:27   #20

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

Hello,
I don't have a Yanmar Saildrive, but this guy does, and he documented repairs made way out in the South Pacific,
Year 4 Day 229 Plans Are Made In The Sand At Low Tide | LeuCat Adventures

You can follow his several postings from about there.
Good Luck!
Old 01-01-2012, 12:33   #21

i've had my cone clutch replaced twice - the first time my mechanic lifted the engine and disconnected the sail drive from the engine bell housing - which cost about $1500 -

the second time, which was premature do to operator error, we used a method suggested by someone in the forum, which is to loosen the nuts which allow the drive gear to move forward (this cost $1100) but also separates the plate from the housing (as i recall) - I have an excellent mechanic, he warned me that the O-ring may lose it's seal and the transmission oil would leak into the bell housing and then into the pan -

well, at first i thought i was home free but after about 10 months i'm finding oil leaking from the bell housing

hope this helps

ps - i read you need to put the boat into gear aggressively and don't leave it partially engaged, like riding a clutch in a car, this happened accidentally during the christmas parade 2010 and my cone clutch was toast - I hate that!!

pss - although the sail drive has some advantages, if i were building the boat over i'm pretty damn sure i'd go to the standard shaft and strut installation -

Tags
leaks, saildrive, yanmar, seals

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: