Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2017, 02:02   #1

yanmar piston

Hi all, I'm putting a YSE8 back together and wondering which way up the piston goes. There's an oil hole for the gudgeon in the little end and it could go on the top or bottom side of the conrod, I thought maybe the top to be sure oil gets in there. I cant see any other signs that it matters which way it goes. Any ideas?

When looking for parts I discovered that Yanmar's agricultural engine, the TS60 has mostly the same parts inside, and they're heaps cheaper, pin bush for $8.50 instead of $85 and rings for $20 instead of $250, all on ebay. Cheers!
giselle II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 03:08   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: yanmar piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselle II View Post
Hi all, I'm putting a YSE8 back together and wondering which way up the piston goes. There's an oil hole for the gudgeon in the little end and it could go on the top or bottom side of the conrod, I thought maybe the top to be sure oil gets in there. I cant see any other signs that it matters which way it goes. Any ideas?

When looking for parts I discovered that Yanmar's agricultural engine, the TS60 has mostly the same parts inside, and they're heaps cheaper, pin bush for $8.50 instead of $85 and rings for $20 instead of $250, all on ebay. Cheers!
Good question and I don't know the answer but the figure in my manual in section 8.4 suggests it goes towards the bottom but it is not definitive.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 05:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselle II View Post

Answer: If you talking about the hole in the con rod bushing they go up as there is normally a hole in the con rod to let oil lubricate the bush/pin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	conrod239.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	155083  
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 11:42   #4

According to the assembly section of the manual, under paragraph #3 "Insert the piston and secure it in place"... The second bullet point states " turn up the No. on the big end of the connecting rod .....

Hopefully this also places the wrist pin lube hole facing up, where it normally would be.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 20:20   #5

^^ FWIW, it does so on my con-rod so hopefully it does on the OP's one as well.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 30-08-2017, 20:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
According to the assembly section of the manual, under paragraph #3 "Insert the piston and secure it in place"... The second bullet point states " turn up the No. on the big end of the connecting rod .....

Hopefully this also places the wrist pin lube hole facing up, where it normally would be.

DougR
Do you have an electronic copy of the manual you referenced?
Old 30-08-2017, 20:58   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

This is sounding like a bunch of english teachers trying to follow some simple instructions.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 03:10   #8

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: yanmar piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
This is sounding like a bunch of English teachers trying to follow some simple instructions.
Fixed that fer ya.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 06:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Do you have an electronic copy of the manual you referenced?
Wotname,
Yes, I have an electronic copy but it's about 12 Mb so I don't think I can attach it ...

I found it by Google, but if you can't find it, PM me with your e mail and I'll send it to you.

Rgds,
DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar