Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 06:48   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3
Yanmar Panel Alarm Sounds Upon Battery Connection

Note to mods: I think this is the correct forum, but if this belongs in the Electrical forum please either move it or let me know and I'll repost there.

I have a 2004 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3 with a Yanmar 4JH3E diesel engine equipped with an electric shut down solenoid. Jeanneau installed an engine room blower even though this is a diesel engine, which is fine and just added safety. I just finished replacing my old worn-out FLA batts with new AGMs (1 group 24 dual purpose for the engine, 3 group 31 deep cycle for the house bank and 1 group 31 deep cycle up front for the bow thruster). The boat is NOT plugged into shore power at this time, but the batteries were manufactured in May and just installed so close enough to fully charged for this purpose. The batteries are wired the same as the FLAs they replaced, which worked OK at the end of the season last year. Also, I have just had the yard splash the boat and start the engine, and they reported no issues.

The boat has three battery disconnects in the aft cabin - one for the engine positive, one for the house positive and one for the combined negative bus. These were factory installed. As soon as the negative switch is closed the engine panel alarm sounds. This has never happened before. The alarm sounds like the same alarm that sounds when the key is switched on but the engine is not started. There is no key in the ignition switch and I verified the switch is in the "off" position. I started the engine and the alarm stops as soon as the engine fires just as would be expected. The shutdown solenoid works fine to stop the engine but as soon as the engine shuts down the alarm sounds again and keeps sounding even after the key is fully removed removed.

Also, as soon as the engine positive switch is closed the blower starts. I recall in the past that the blower used to start when the key was turned to the on position, so I'm wondering if the ignition switch is faulty. Of course, it is also possible I did not wire the batts correctly, but I'm pretty confident I did.

I'm going to ask the yard to look at this, but I would prefer to solve this myself if possible. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks for the help.

Tom
Tom_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:51   #2

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3
Re: Yanmar Panel Alarm Sounds Upon Battery Connection

Sorry, I should have noted that the alarm sounds as soon as the negative bus switch is closed EVEN THOUGH BOTH positive switches are open.
Tom_F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, battery, yanmar